Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
Penmai eMagazine October! | All Issues

User Tag List

Obsessed with looks? Try ‘mirror fasting’

Discussions on "Obsessed with looks? Try ‘mirror fasting’" in "Beauty Tips" forum.

vijigermany is offline Supreme Ruler's of Penmai

A new trend of "mirror fasting" which includes abstaining from looking at your reflection for a month to a year can stop you from obsessing over your looks, a team of US bloggers have claimed.

The trend started in the US when bloggers such as Autumn Whitefield-Madrano, a 36-year-old freelance writer based in Queens, New York, launched a blog on mirror fasting, the Guardian reported.

"I'd become aware that I had a 'mirror face'. Whenever I saw my reflection I'd open my eyes a little wider, suck in my cheeks a little and tip my chin down in an effort to make myself look more like I wanted to. It made me feel really vain," she was quoted as saying by the paper. She embarked on her first month-long mirror fast in May 2011, in an effort to become less self-conscious about her face.

"I didn't want to do it because I felt bad about myself per se — I was just concerned about how often I was thinking about my appearance. I wanted to see how much my mood was affected by the way I perceived my looks," she said. At the end of the experiment, she reported feeling "calmer and more serene" , although she admits her second month-long fast in July 2011 was more challenging . She has now made mirror-fasting an annual event. Her fellow blogger, Kjerstin Gruys, a 29-year-old sociology graduate in San Francisco, mirror-fasted for 12 months in the runup to her wedding.