Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
Penmai eMagazine October! | All Issues

User Tag List

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By vijigermany

The dress that turns transparent when aroused

Discussions on "The dress that turns transparent when aroused" in "Clothings" forum.

vijigermany is offline Supreme Ruler's of Penmai

Dutch designer Daan Roosegaarde's award-winning creation has been creating quite the controversy Melissa D'costa

A futuristic creation by Dutch designer Daan Roosegaarde has won the creator numerous awards and invited extreme reactions from across the globe. Made out of leather and smart opaque e-foils, the dress, called Intimacy 2.0, has been created of smart fabrics that become clear when electrified by a quickening heartbeat. As a result it turns transparent when the wearer becomes aroused.

Creating 'techno poetry'
    Daan calls his style of fashion "techno poetry." He said, "Intimacy 2.0 is a fashion project exploring the relation between intimacy and technology. Technology used here is not merely functional but also a tool to create intimacy as well as privacy on a direct, personal level which in our contemporary tech society is becoming increasingly important."

Would you wear it?
    "It's a very creative idea but I'm not sure I would want to wear it. It's unsettling to think about stepping out in such an outfit, which becomes transparent when my heartbeat quickens," says model Candice Pinto. TV actress Sargun Mehta feels the outfit is very bold, but does have a nice design. She says, "I have to acknowledge that the technology and the brains behind the dress is superb, but I don't really see anyone wearing it in my lifetime. People who are really bold or someone who loves to be in the news may step out in it. The dress actually has a nice design if you can overlook the transparent factor."

TV actress Chhavi Mittal adds, "It sounds very futuristic and exciting, but honestly it's kind of scary to be wearing something that puts your most private emotions on public display!" Model Gizele Thakral thinks it's a very embarrassing thing. "Imagine you are at a public function and suddenly your dress becomes transparent, and to top it, people know that you are aroused! It's okay as a showpiece in a museum."

Actress Udita Goswami has a rather strong take on it. "I find the dress totally unacceptable. I will never wear it. In fact, you should make your boyfriend wear it when going out, so you know what's on his mind each time his heartbeat rises!"

However, designer Falguni Peacock, who is known for her outlandish creations, thinks it's a novel concept. "I think people may buy it for kicks. I don't know how far people will take the idea seriously as it's more for fun and has a kinky element to it."

More about the dress
    Intimacy 2.0 uses wireless technologies, electronics, LEDs, copper and other media. Daan is currently in talks to produce a fashion version of the dress, which responds whenever the wearer gets excited or embarrassed. The futuristic dress has been put on display in China, and its creator has won a string of awards, including the Dutch Design Award and China's Most Successful Design Award. He has exhibited his work at the Tate Modern and the Victoria and Albert Museum, as well as at many other international galleries.