What is a Fatty Liver?
Discussions on "What is a Fatty Liver?" in "General Health Problems" forum.
10th Aug 2012, 08:48 PM #1
- Real Name
- Join Date
- Jul 2011
- Blog Entries
What is a Fatty Liver?
All of our organs contain some level of fat. This is not necessarily a bad thing, because fat cells are used for protection, and they are a great resource for storing extra energy. After having a meal, the intestines absorbs the fat, and the fat enters the bloodstream, which transfers the fat straight to the liver. Usually, this fat is altered by the metabolic process in the liver, and eventually converted to energy. If the amount of carried fat exceeding normal bounds, it is stored in the liver and in other various tissues. The normal liver contains approximately 5% fat. The other 95% of the liver is made up of liver cells named Hepatocytes, which are responsible to do all the work of the liver.
So what is a Fatty Liver?
When the amount of fat is beyond 10%, some healthy liver cells are replaced by the fat cells, which ultimately results a Fatty Liver, or steatosis.
There are two main types of fatty liver:
- Alcoholic fatty liver.
- Non-alcoholic fatty liver disease (NALFD).
Fatty Liver Causes:
The main fatty liver cause is a collection of high amounts of fat around the liver. There are two types of fatty liver – one that develops due to excessive consumption of alcohol, and the other that develops in non-drinkers.
Alcoholic Fatty Liver:
Chronic alcoholism can lead to a slow and progressive liver failure. This is considered as one of the two common fatty liver causes, because the first phase of an alcoholic liver diseases will probably be a Fatty Liver (also called “alcoholic steatosis”).
The damage is usually reversible if the patient becomes determined and abstinent; but with continued drinking, the result can be unfortunate. When this happens, liver cells gradually die and being replaced by scar tissue. Excessive amounts of scar tissue can lead to a liver failure and/or Cirrhosis.
Non-alcoholic Fatty Liver Disease:
Now lets talk about the fatty liver causes in a Non-Alcoholic patients. Until couple of year ago, it was believed that a non-alcoholics fatty liver was just a symptom of being overweight, or a diabetic. But recent studies have concluded that a non-alcoholic fatty liver disease is a completely different disease, which can lead to serious consequences.
The most common non alcoholic fatty liver causes are:
- Food habits:
- eating high-fat concentrated,
- fried food with high cholesterol;
- “fast food”;
- sugar rich snacks.
- Lack or very low physical activity.
- Being overweight or obese.
Non-alcoholic Fatty Liver Disease includes two different levels:
Simple Fatty Liver (steatosis)
This is caused due to the deposition of fats in the liver. It usually does not lead to liver inflammation or scar tissue, and the risk of progressive liver damage is relatively low. There are no identified symptoms for simple fatty liver.
In Non-alcoholic steatohepatitis, besides the excess of fat, there are some signs of inflammation and the liver cells are dying (necrosis).
Non-alcoholic steatohepatitis considered to be more severe than other forms of Non-Alcoholic fatty liver. This is because the simple fact that liver cells are dying. Patients who suffer from Non-alcoholic steatohepatitis are one stage closer to liver cirrhosis. In the United Status, Non-alcoholic steatohepatitis is now considered to be the 3rd most common cause of liver disease in adults (followed by hepatitis C and alcohol). This is most popular cause of liver disease among adolescents.
Homeopathic Treatment For Fatty Liver:
Homeopathy addresses the underlying causes behind fatty liver, improves liver functions and reduces the symptoms as well as modifies the disease process. Homeopathy is recommended for cases of Fatty Liver.