How to Alleviate Back Pain
Discussions on "How to Alleviate Back Pain" in "General Health Problems" forum.
26th Sep 2012, 12:26 PM #1
- Real Name
- Join Date
- Jul 2011
- Blog Entries
How to Alleviate Back Pain
Ouch! Is this how you feel everytime a sharp excruciating pain shoots down your back whenever you get up from your chair? Yes, sitting for long hours on a chair can really pose some serious health issues, back pain being the most common complaint. Other common causes for back pain include wrong posture, muscle sprains, and minor injuries. However, back pain can also occur due to other serious ailments like a 'ruptured disc', 'spinal stenosis', 'discongenic back pain', 'osteoporosis', 'lumbar spine arthritis', etc.
Nevertheless, the good news is that most back pains disappear easily within a few weeks or so, if the underlying cause is identified and proper treatment is provided. If your job requires you to sit on your desk for long hours, then regular exercises and stretching can be helpful. If you are suffering from severe back pain and are looking for help to alleviate your condition, then here are some useful tips to your aid. Just read on to learn more about them.
Tips To Reduce Back Pain
- Sitting for long hours on a chair can aggravate back pain. Never sit at a stretch for more than one hour. Get up from your seat and do some backward stretching. You can also walk in the corridor for a few minutes to relax your back muscles.
- If your job requires you to sit for the whole day, try and incorporate 20-30 minutes of exercises in your routine. Regular exercises like swimming, yoga, walking, or aerobics will help you improve your mobility, and will boost your overall health.
- Do simple stretching exercises while having a shower everyday. Not only will the hot water provide your aching muscles with relief, but the stretching will help you lighten the pain and tension as well.
- If your pain does not subside with stretching and other exercises, ask your physician to prescribe some anti-inflammatory medications. There are many over-the-counter ‘non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs’ (NSADS) available that can help alleviate your symptoms. Nevertheless, be sure to consult a physician before taking any such medications.
- If you are suffering from extensive low back pain, the best treatment for you is to rest your spine. The most common cause of back pain is muscle strain, so you should avoid further irritation of the muscles surrounding the spine.
- There are many muscle relaxants and ointments that help alleviate back pain. These ointments are applied topically and give temporary relief from the excruciating pain.
- Application of heat packs also help ease back pain. If you are suffering from acute back pain, you can get relief by using hot water bags, heating pads, or even a hot bath may also be helpful in lessening the muscle soreness.
- If you are suffering from acute back pain, ‘epidural steroid injections’ can be helpful in reducing the inflammation around the spinal nerves. Nevertheless, consult your physician to find out if your condition warrants the use of such injections.
- Is your back pain just too much for you to bear? If yes, then consult a physiotherapist. Stretching exercises coupled with other modalities like electrical stimulation, ultrasound, and aqua therapy can provide you with some relief.
- In extreme cases, physicians may recommend different surgical procedures to ease the back pain. If you have been suffering from back pain for a long time then, consult a general practitioner before your condition worsens.
- Therapies like ‘acupuncture’ and ‘chiropractic manipulations’ are also helpful in getting rid of back pain. Acupuncture has been used for hundreds of years and has helped many patients by alleviating their conditions. Chiropractic manipulation can also be effective if done under proper guidance.