Home Remedies for Cough
Discussions on "Home Remedies for Cough" in "General Health Problems" forum.
22nd Oct 2011, 03:35 PM #1
Home Remedies for Cough
- Dry the leaves of the holy basil and then crush them to a powder. Take a pinch of this powder in a tablespoon and add pure honey to it. Consume this mixture. Do this several times a day till you get relief from the cough.
- Gargling with warm water is considered to be a very effective remedy for cough relief. The action of the warm water helps in fomenting the inside of the throat. In order to increase the effect of the water, you could add some salt and have a salt water gargle.
- Extract the juice of a white onion . Take about 5 milliliters of this juice. Add to this twice the amount of honey . Now consume this juice slowly, letting it completely lubricate the inside of your throat. This works wonders when you are trying to get relief from your cough problem.
- A remedy using garlic and cloves is commonly used if the cough problem starts to get persistent. In this remedy, about two or three cloves of garlic are taken and some cloves are added to it. The mixture is then put in a glassful of milk. The milk is boiled. Boiling is continued until its volume becomes half of what was originally taken. This suspension is then filtered and sugar is added so that it becomes drinkable. The solution must be drunk when it is still piping hot. The procedure must be continued at least twice a day. The therapy can bring about excellent results if the person's cough shows no signs of going away.
- Another similar traditional remedy makes use of ginger and turmeric . A small piece of ginger (about half a centimeter in length) and a teaspoonful of turmeric are added to a glassful of milk. The milk is then boiled till it reduces to half its amount. This milk is supposed to be consumed at night, shortly before retiring to bed. The cough will be significantly improved in the morning.
- One western home remedy for treating cough uses almonds . The almonds are kept in water for the night and in the morning they are peeled. These are then made into a paste using traditional methods, such as a mortar and pestle. To this paste, sugar and butter are added. Each of these is added in the same amount as the almonds. The paste is supposed to be consumed twice a day, once in the morning and once in the evening.
- If the cough has not gone to serious levels yet, hot water compresses on the chest area can help. This will help to dissolve the phlegm that is present in the chest area and help in clearing the passages.
- Black pepper seeds are used in various ways in the treatment of cough and in every way they show great results. One of the ways is to slightly chew on the pepper seeds and keep them in the mouth for some time, extracting their juices gradually. Another method is adding the seeds into a glassful of milk, warming it slightly and then consuming it when it is still slightly warm.
24th Oct 2011, 07:09 PM #2
Re: Home Remedies for Cough
Causes of Cough
Inflammation of larynx or pharynx
A cough can be caused by inflammation of the larynx or the pharynx. A cough can build up in the chest due to modification in weather or seasonal changes.
Blockage of the bronchial tubes with waste matter
The real cause of this disorder is clogging of the bronchial tubes with waste substance. This is due to incorrect feeding habits. The reason for upper incidence of cough during winter than in other seasons is that an standard person usually eats more of catarrh-forming foods such as white bread, meat, sugar, porridge, puddings, and pies during the colder months of the year. Being over clothed with heavy undergarments and other garments during this period also avoids proper aeration of the skin.
24th Oct 2011, 07:11 PM #3
Re: Home Remedies for Cough
Cough Home Remedies
Cough treatment with Grapes
Grapes are one of the most successful home remedies for the treatment of a cough. Grapes tone up the lungs and act as an expectorant, relieving an easy cold and cough in a couple of days. A cup of grape juice mixed with a teaspoon of honey is recommended for cough relief. One of the best home remedies for cough.
Cough treatment with Almonds
Almonds are helpful for dry coughs. Seven kernels must be soaked in water overnight and the brown skin removed. They must then be ground well to form a well paste. A quantity of twenty grams each of butter and sugar must be added to the paste. This paste must be taken in the morning and evening.
Cough treatment via Onion
The use of raw onion is precious in a cough. This vegetable must be chopped fine and the juice removed from it. One teaspoon of the juice must then be mixed with one teaspoon of honey and reserved for four or five hours-it will make an admirable cough syrup and should be taken two times daily. Onions are also helpful in removing phelgm. A medium-sized onion must be crushed, the juice of one lemon added to it, and then one cup of boiling water poured on it. A teaspoon of honey can be added in it for taste. This medicine should be taken two or three times a day. One of the effective home remedies for cough.
Cough treatment with Turmeric
The root of the turmeric plant is valuable in a dry cough. The root must he roasted and powdered. This powder should be taken in three-gram doses two times daily, in the morning and evening.
Cough treatment with Belleric Myroblan
The herb belleric myroblan is a homebased remedy for a cough. A mixture comprising two grams of the pulp of the fruit, 1/4 teaspoon of salt, 1/2 teaspoon of long pepper, and 2 teaspoons of honey should be managed for the treatment of this condition twice daily. The dried fruit enclosed with wheat flour and roasted , is another well-liked remedy for cough condition. One of the usefulhome remedies for cough.
Cough treatment by means of Raisins
A sauce prepared from raisins is also valuable in a cough. This sauce is prepared by crushing 100 gm of raisins with water. About 100 gm of sugar must be mixed with it and the mixture heated. When the mixture attains a sauce-like consistency, it should be preserved. Twenty grams must be taken at bedtime every day. One of the popular home remedies for cough.
Cough treatment via Aniseed
Aniseed is another effective remedy for a hard dry cough with hard expectoration. It might breaks up the mucus. A tea made from this spice must be taken on a regular basis for treating this condition One of the simple home remedies for cough.Dietaries for Cough
Orange juice and water
In the case of a severe cough, the patient should fast on orange juice and water till the severity is decreased. The process is to take the juice of an orange diluted in a cup of warm water, every two hours from 8 a.m. to 8 p.m.
After the juice fast, the patient must adopt an all-fruit diet for two or three days. In case of a mild cough, the patient can start with an all-fruit diet for five to seven days, taking three meals a day of fresh juicy fruits such as apples, pears, grapes, grape-fruit, oranges, pineapples, peaches, and melons. For drinks, unsweetened lemon water, or cold or hot simple water may be given.
Well-balanced diet with stress on wholegrain cereals, lightly cooked vegetables
Following the all-fruit diet, the patient must follow a well-balanced diet, with importance on wholegrain cereals, raw or lightly cooked vegetables, and fresh fruits.
Stay away from tea, coffee, refined and processed foods
The patient should avoid meats, sugar, tea, coffee, condiments, refined and processed foods. He must avoid soft drinks, candies, ice cream, and all products made from sugar.