Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
Penmai eMagazine October! | All Issues

User Tag List

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By Preethikas
  • 1 Post By sumitra

I am pregnant. Can i eat kambu and horse gram?

Discussions on "I am pregnant. Can i eat kambu and horse gram?" in "General Pregnancy" forum.

Preethikas is offline Newbie

Question I am pregnant. Can i eat kambu and horse gram?

Please Davidsen me

Similar Threads:

Sponsored Links
    sumitra likes this.

sumitra is offline Registered User
    Ruler's of Penmai
    Blog Entries

Re: I am pregnant. Can i eat kambu and horse gram?

Dear Preethi, Congratulations for your pregnancy. Wish you happy and prosperous new year 2013,

You can very well eat Kambu during pregnancy. I will give you a Kambu dosai recipe for you to get the benefit.

Kambu : 1 cup
    Urad dal: cup
    Fenugreek seeds: 1 tsp
    Wheat Powder : cup
    Onion: Chopped 1 cup
    Oil: as required
    Mustard seeds: 1 tsp
    Urad dal: 1tsp
    Red chillies: 2
    Coriander leaves Chopped: cup
    Curry leaves chopped: cup
    Salt: as required

Kambu Dosa Preparation

1. Wash and soak Kambu, Fenugreek seeds and urad dal together for about an hour.
    2. After 1 hr, grind the soaked kambu dosa recipe ingredients, Chillies and add required salt.
    3. Then mix the wheat power and keep it for (10hours) fermentation.
    4. Finely chop the onion, curry leaves and coriander leaves and keep it aside.
    5. Take a pan and pour 1 tsp of oil. Fry the Mustard, Urad dal, then add the chopped leaves and onion.
    6. Fry the ingredients in low flame until it turns in to golden colour. Keep it aside.
    7. After it get fermented, add the fried onion, curry leaves and coriander leaves and mix well.
    8. Prepare Kambu Dosa as same like Rice dosa recipe Preparation, add ghee if you need.
    9. kambu dosa recipe in Tamil Nadu style is ready for taste.
    10. The flavor will be good and the best Kambu dosa chutney is Ground nut chutney.

Kambu sadam and kamban koozh are in demand during summer as it is believed to keep the body cool. Kamban koozh is also sold as street food in summer and enjoyed by all. A glass of kamban koozh keeps body energetic and cool for a couple of hours. It is simple and easy to prepare as pearl millet (whole or flour) is available in grocery shops.

Pearl millet is known as Kambu in Tamil and as Bajra in Hindi.

• Pearl millet (whole) or kambu 1 cup
    • Buttermilk 1 cup
    • Green chilli 2 no
    • Pearl onion few
    • Water 2 cup
    • Salt as per taste

Kambu sadam: Sprinkle some water in pearl millet and keep for 10 minutes; put it in a mixi jar and run the mixer once or twice in whipper mode; now the grain is partially mashed mildly.

Add water and wash once to remove extra skin or fiber; add 2 cups of water and pressure cook it like rice; now the pearl millet is cooked and can be consumed as Kambu Sadam with any curry or gravy.

Kamban koozh: Shape this cooked kambu as small balls and keep it in water for couple of hours (5 to 6 hours).

• Mash the balls well, add buttermilk, sufficient water, salt and mix well.
    • Garnish with chopped onion, green chilli and serve chilled.

• Alternate method: You can mix pearl millet flour in water (for one cup flour use three cup water) and cook till thick; after cooling, mix with buttermilk, salt and serve.
    • When cooked, pearl millet gives a nice aroma.

Regarding kollu (Horsegram) it is a heat producing grain. Please consult your doctor for their advise in this regards. thanks all the best

sumathisrini likes this.