Sponsored Links
Penmai eMagazine November! | All Issues

User Tag List

Like Tree8Likes
  • 1 Post By Preethikas
  • 4 Post By nlakshmi
  • 2 Post By Yamunan
  • 1 Post By GayathriArun

can i eat fenugreek powder/vendhayam powder in early pregnancy?

Discussions on "can i eat fenugreek powder/vendhayam powder in early pregnancy?" in "General Pregnancy" forum.

Preethikas is offline Newbie

can i eat fenugreek powder/vendhayam powder in early pregnancy?

sumathisrini likes this.

nlakshmi is offline Minister's of Penmai
    Blog Entries

Re: can i eat fenugreek powder/vendhayam powder in early pregnancy?

I am not sure.. but vendhayam has cooling effect and is taken to control the body heat during menstruation. and is very helpfl for indigestion and acid reflux. So i think you can take it...

also check with other answers too.. Sorry cannot help you

Yamunan is offline Registered User
    Blogger
    Commander's of Penmai
    Blog Entries

Hi Preethika,,,

Just searched in net,, Migh help you ,, The main thing that it has both the good and the bad effects during pregnancy,,, Better check with the Doctor before you start eating,,,

Pregnancy Benefits Of Fenugreek -

1. During Pregnancy (Prenatal) - During pregnancy, fenugreek needs to be consumed with caution as the seeds have the ability to lower the blood sugar levels. The seeds also contain Oxytocin which stimulate uterine. Thus a physician advice is necessary before consumption.

2. Breast Enlargement: Fenugreek has the power of balancing hormones and prevents enlarging of breasts. The seeds can be consumed as dicoction or as tea. A few grams (3-4g) of the spice can be had everyday as part of the regular diet during postnatal (by consulting the doctor).

3. Easing Child Birth: Fenugreek stimulates uterine causing contractions and fastens labor process. It is also helpful in inducing childbirth. The amount of consumption should be after the doctor's prescription.

4. Increases Milk Production In Lactating Mothers: The natural herb is also said to increase the production of milk in lactating women. Many researchers even claim that there is 500 percent excess milk production in mothers in just a day or two after eating these seeds. Although the studies are still on over the reason as to what makes the increase in the lactation levels, it is determined that the oil in the seeds have a role to play. Lactating women can have about 6-7 seeds or a capsule three times a day.

5. Side Effects: Since fenugreek can stimulate uterine contractions, it may even lead to preterm labor or miscarriages if taken during prenatal care, which is why it is advised to notify your gynec before making it a part of your diet. Apart from pregnancy benefits and side effects, other common side effects of the mucilage spice includes Nausea, gastrointestinal discomfort, skin irritation and rashes.

Fenugreek is not well recommended during pregnancy because it may lead to miscarriage - found from net only,,, check with Doctors,,,

Thanks,
    Yamuna.

Parasakthi and sumathisrini like this.

GayathriArun is offline Friends's of Penmai
    Real Name
    Gayathri ArunPrakash

can i eat fenugreek powder/vendhayam powder in early pregnancy? Thanks in advance.

[/QUOTE]

Fenugreek will keep your body cool. It also cleanses your intestine. But i think it will be difficult for you to eat the powder. Instead, you can boil one tablespoon of whole fenugreek seed in 1 litre of water and sip it all through the day. Once you boil the colour of the water will change and it has a little bitter taste but once you are used to the taste you will like it. I give this water to my sons whenever i feel like their body is getting heat. I have this water all through the day during my period. Its okay to drink it during pregnancy but dont have it too much, 1 tablespoon in 1 litre of water to sip throughout the day is fine.

Thanks for your reply Gayathri.
    did you had during your pregnancy?

• Yes I had it during my pregnancy, you can also have it but have it in a limited quantity like i said before, sipping 1 tablespoon of fenugreek in 1 litre of water through out the day.

sumathisrini likes this.
    Gayathri ArunPrakash