Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
Penmai eMagazine November! | All Issues

User Tag List

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By vijigermany
  • 1 Post By roja123

tell me abt PCOD

Discussions on "tell me abt PCOD" in "General Pregnancy" forum.

Hema Latha is offline Newbie

tell me abt PCOD

hi
    i want to know PCOD

Similar Threads:

Sponsored Links

vijigermany is offline Supreme Ruler's of Penmai

Re: tell me abt PCOD

PCOD

Patients suffering from polycystic ovarian disease (PCOD) have multiple small cysts in their ovaries (the word poly means many).

These cysts occur when the regular changes of a normal menstrual cycle are disrupted.

The ovary is enlarged; and produces excessive amounts of androgen and estrogenic hormones

. This excess, along with the absence of ovulation, may cause infertility. Other names for PCOD are Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome (PCOS) or the Stein-Leventhal syndrome.

Diagnosis

Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome can be easy to diagnose in some patients.
    The typical medical history is that of irregular menstrual cycles, which are unpredictable and can be very heavy ; and the need to take hormonal tablets to induce a period.
    Patients suffering from PCOD are often obese and may have hirsutism , (excessive facial and body hair) as a result of the high androgen levels.
    However, remember that not all patients with PCOD will have all or any of these symptoms.

This diagnosis can be confirmed by vaginal ultrasound, which shows that both the ovaries are enlarged; the bright central stroma is increased ; and there are multiple small cysts in the ovaries.

These cysts are usually arranged in the form of a necklace along the periphery of the ovary. ( It is important that your doctor be able to differentiate multicystic ovaries from polycystic ovaries. )

Blood tests are also very useful for making the diagnosis.

Typically, blood levels of hormones reveal a high LH (luteinising hormone) level; and a normal FSH level (follicle stimulating hormone) (this is called a reversal of the LH : FSH ratio, which is normally 1:1); and elevated levels of androgens ( a high dehydroepiandrosterone sulphate ( DHEA-S) level) ;

it has a significant hereditary component, and is often transmitted from mother to daughter .

Obesity can aggravate PCOD because fatty tissues are hormonally active and they produce estrogen which disrupts ovulation .
    Overactive adrenal glands can also produce excess androgens, and these may also contribute to PCOD.
    These women also have insulin resistance ( high levels of insulin in their blood, because their cells do not respond normally to insulin).

occult PCOD

This means that women may be thin, have regular periods , no hirsutism and normal looking ovaries on ultrasound, but still have PCOD. This problem is detected only when these patients are superovulated, at which time they over-respond by producing a large number of follicles.

Interestingly, many of these patients present with recurrent pregnancy loss ( recurrent miscarriages) , and often their doctor does not make the correct diagnosis for them.

Treatment

Treatment of PCOD for the infertile patient will usually focus on inducing ovulation to help them conceive.

weightloss
    Ovulation Induction:
    Surgery:

Pls consult a good gynecologist for further informations and treatment

regards,
    viji

nlakshmi likes this.

Hema Latha is offline Newbie

hi viji mam,
    i hv PCOD probs..i want to pregnent .. is it possible? i consulted doctor but she said tat PCOD probs makes u delay to pregnent...

roja123 is offline Friends's of Penmai

don't lose hope hema, i too conceived with PCOD. But it takes time for more than 3 years for me. Follow the advise of your doctor, don't leave the treatment in between.

I think english medicine allopathy is the sucessful treatment for this. they give tablets for you to induce ovulation, take the tablets regularly.

nlakshmi likes this.
    Thanks and Regards,

Roja