Dysfunctional Or Abnormal Uterine Bleeding
Discussions on "Dysfunctional Or Abnormal Uterine Bleeding" in "Gynaecology Problems" forum.
13th May 2012, 05:10 PM #1
- Real Name
- Join Date
- Jul 2011
- Blog Entries
Dysfunctional Or Abnormal Uterine BleedingDysfunctional uterine bleeding more commonly called ‘DUB’ by the doctors is abnormal uterine bleeding in the absence of any disease in the uterus or other pelvic organs.
- Cause of such bleeding is hormonal disturbance.
- This hormonal disturbance may be related to deficiency, excess of hormones or less of cyclicity of hormones controlling the menstrual cycles.
- Disturbance in other endocrine organs like thyroid also affect menstruation.
- Obesity, stress or a major change in life can also lead to disturbance in menstruation,
- DUB is also common at the beginning of menses i.e. menarche and at menopause. Irregular hormonal intake or certain hormonal medicines can also cause DUB.
- DUB is the most common disorder responsible for almost 10 % of all gynaecological consultation.
- Bleeding may be decreased flow or heavy flow.
- It may be in the form of spotting before the periods or there may not be any pattern.
- Bleeding which comes after a gap of 2-3 months may be so heavy as to lead to significant loss of blood and anaemia.
There are no definite measures by which this problem can be prevented. Except for general care for health, tension etc. Obesity is an important reason for DUB and weight reduction can definitely help.
Temporary upset in menstrual cycle may be self limiting and settle on their own. More prolonged problem may require hormonal treatment. Very severe cases require surgical treatments like D & C or hysterectomy (removal of uterus).
7th Jun 2015, 06:53 AM #2
Re: Dysfunctional Or Abnormal Uterine Bleeding