Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
Penmai eMagazine November! | All Issues

User Tag List

Like Tree71Likes

Workaholic Mom

Discussions on "Workaholic Mom" in "Health and Kids Food" forum.

rthilag is offline Friends's of Penmai

Re: Workaholic Mom

AVOCADO !! AVOCADO!!
    I used to think that this fruit is available only in Mexico and USA. To my surprise, this is cultivated in our own Coorg. Avocado also known as butter fruit in Bangalore.I have read many times about the nutritional values of this fruit and it always gets placed along with greens in the nutrition chart.This fruit is rich in Vitamin A, folate(essential for pregnant ladies), riboflavin, thiamin , Vitamin K, E, C and other valuable vitamins .This fruit is rich in calorie and carries Mono saturated fat which is essential to reduce the cholesterol Don't miss this fruit. In Bangalore, round or pear shaped green avocados are available in Namdhari and MK ahmed super markets. Avocado is used in many anti ageing related beauty products.

Friends,
    If you come across the fruits in your cities, please share the info with other penmai friends in this thread. Don't miss this fruit.

I got the below recipe from vegnosaurus site .It turned out very well and my entire family liked it.

Ingredients:

Ripe Avocado : half
    Date Syrup : 2 tablespoons
    Honey : 2 tablespoons
    Sugar : 1 tablespoon(optional)
    Mint : 5-6 leaves
    Water : 300 ml

Grind everything together in mixie and your juice/smoothie is ready. Refrigerate the juice and serve.

• If the fruit is not ripe, leave it as it is 2-5 days to make it ripe
    • Cut the fruit vertically and remove the pulp using spoon or knife. Use the whole fruit immediately . Otherwise, the colour changes to brown
    • This juice can be prepared with raw one also. You may have to add extra amount of syrups.
    • This juice will be thick because of the fat content. Dilute it with water if required
    • Remember this fruit high in calories and carries good fat required to reduce cholesterol
    • This drink is suitable for entire family . On drinking this juice , you may not feel hungry for 2 hours.
    • Because Dates and Honey along with the avocado, this is a highly energetic and nutritious drink
    • Beauty tip: After removing the pulp, there could be left overs on the skin. So, wash your face and rub the inner side of skin on face. Then wash it after 15 minutes.

Sponsored Links
    Parasakthi and sumitra like this.

Urad Dhal Sweet Kanji:
    This is a simple one. But preparation time is 35 minutes and standing time is 30 minutes. This kanji is nutritious but high on calories. This kanji is good for bones because of calcium. In my village, it is given to girl kids during the first menstrual cycle and believed to be good for knees. I regularly prepare on weekends.

Urad Dhal/ Ullathum parupu : 50 gm

Palm sugar or Karupatti : 75gm

Sugar : 2 tablespoon

Water : 500 ml

Grated coconut : 6 tablespoons

1. Soak the dhal for 1/2 hour and grind into smooth paste
    2. If karupatti is used, break the karupatti into pieces . Boil 50 ml of water , add the karupatti pieces to it and bring it to boil. Once karupatti is dissolved , switch off the flame and strain it to remove the dust.
    3. Mix the urad dhal paste in the remaining amount of water(450 ml). Mix it well to remove the lumps. If you find it difficult, add the urad dhal paste and water in bigger jar and grind it for 2 seconds to remove the lumps.
    4. Use a heavy bottom or non stick utensil. Heat the utensil and add the urad dhal mixed in water. Bring it to boil and reduce the flame . Stir it frequently otherwise it will stick to the sides . Continue stirring till the raw smell goes off. On low flame, it shall take 20 -30 minutes. Non-stick utensil makes the preparation easier. Please be patient in this step.
    5. Once the raw smell goes off, add the palm sugar or strained karupatti water . Also, add the sugar. Bring it to boil and stir it for another 5 minutes. Even after cooking for 20-30 minutes, you may get raw smell . Karupatti /palm sugar will reduce the raw smell.
    6. Once the kanji is well cooked, switch of the flame and add grated coconut

Notes:
    1. Depending on the sticky nature of urad dhal, more water and karupatti/palm sugar can be added.
    2. Karupatti is rich in iron and calcium.
    3. Dry ginger (sukku) powder goes well with karupatti. It can be added few minutes before switching off the flame.

Rudhraa is offline Moderator & Blogger Commander's of Penmai

hi rthilag... so nice to have recipes with neat preparation format. Its all highly nutritious food items. Do share more.

sumitra likes this.
    Universal Rule Never Change!
    What you send out, comes back.
    What you sow, you reap.
    What you give, you get.

Bagavad Gita Discussion Group| Must Read Motivational Books!

Sprouted Green Gram Chapathi

Ingredients:
    1. Wheat Flour : 1 cup
    2. Sprouted Green Grams : 1/4 cup
    3. Grated Carrot : 5 tablespoons
    4. Salt
    5. Water
    6. Turmeric : 1/2 teaspoon

Preparation:
    1. Grind the sprouted Green gram into fine paste.
    2. Add Salt, turmeric and carrot to wheat flour and mix it well.
    3. Add the paste to wheat flour and mix it well
    4. Add water to the mixture little by little. Knead it into regular dough
    5. Keep aside for 5 minutes. Then, roll into chapathis

Elders can add quarter bunch of finely chopped methi leaves instead of carrot in 2nd step.

Sprouting Green Gram:
    Normally, I do sprouting on weekend.
    1. On Friday Night, Soak the whole green gram in water.
    2. On Saturday morning, strain the water completely. Take cotton towel /muslin cloth and tie the gram on the towel. Hang it in the place where there is less sunlight.
    3. On Sunday Morning or afternoon, remove the sprouted gram from towel.
    4. Then, spread the sprouted green gram on a new cotton towel. Place the towel in less sunlight ( inside the house) for 1/2 hour. Now transfer the sprouted green gram to a container and store in refrigerator.
    5. Till now, I have stored the sprouts for 3 days .

Last edited by rthilag; 8th Nov 2012 at 09:16 PM.

Concoctions for flu:
    Weather is bad in Bangalore. Manjal pal and Suku kashayam has become the regular drink in family now a days. If any one of us feel like having cold, these drinks and steam inhalation starts at home. My daughter easily gets cold till 5 years. We were fed up with medicines. Then we met a good Paediatrician. Our Paediatrician always suggest mild prescriptions for regular cold/flu ( antibiotics /higher medicines is the last option for him). His standard answer for cold " steam inhalation 4 times a day , take Rasam/Kanji/Curd rice, keep the nose clean and good sleep with mild cough syrup). You will not believe me. He suggested stream inhalation( duration of a minute) 4 times a day for my 3 month old baby. Still,we were not happy to feed my elder one , cough syrup regularly for a week or two. At last, We learnt that "Precaution is better than Cure" .
    I could prevent the chest congestion in my daughter if I follow the below just on the onset of cold. Also,treat throat infection and heavy cold in my family with the below

Steam Inhalation:

Steam inhalation for 5 minutes with Tulsi/ Karpoora Valli leaves/ dry or fresh Thyme leaves starts on the onset of cold .

Concoction/Kashayam:

1. boiling 5- 6 leaves of tulsi , 2 leaves of Karpoora valli leaves, little crushed pepper , Palm sugar /grounded karupatti powder and 1 tsp of dry ginger powder in 100 ml of water in medium flame for 2-4 minutes. Close the lid while boiling. The amount of herbs and others can be reduced for 2 - 4 years kids. For the others, amount remains the same.

2. Regular Suku Milagu thippili kashyam (Dry Ginger, Pepper and Piper) with karupatti / palm sugar. Thippili is considered to clear the chest congestion and treat cold due to pollution effects on respiratory tratc.

3. Boil a tsp of dry thyme leaves in a 50 ml of water for 2 minute in medium flame. Close the lid while boiling. Fresh thyme leaves can also be used.

4. Turmeric Milk:
    Turmeric : 1/2 tsp
    Milk : 150 ml
    Almond and cashew powder : 1 tablespoon
    Cardamom powder : pinch
    Sugar : as per taste.
    Preparation:
    No need to boil the above mixture in hot milk. Just mix it with hot milk and drink.
    I always store badam and cashew powder . I also buy cardamom powder( Ellakai) and keep it handy. Dry Roast equal Amount of Badam (almond) and Cashew nut separately for few minutes. Let it cool and grind it together into fine/coarse powder . Store the powder in air tight container.

Turmeric believed to be uterine stimulant. I don't know how far it is true. Little amount of turmeric added in curries will not cause any problems and finally, when a person consumes the curry, it will be very less. This may be true when a single person consumes more than 50 - 100 mg of powder in a single attempt. So, Pregnant ladies pay attention.

Last edited by rthilag; 1st Dec 2012 at 11:52 AM.

sumitra is offline Registered User
    Blogger
    Ruler's of Penmai
    Blog Entries

Very nice recipes Thilag. thanks for sharing.

Parasakthi and rthilag like this.

mohanasri is offline Newbie

wonderful work rthilag.. thanks for all the recipes and your secrets in introducing it to your daughter.

my daughter is doing her 4th standard. she is not at all eating properly. how can i make her eat heatlhy foods.. she just hang on to junky foods alone. suggest me some working ideas to make her eat healthy foods.

Parasakthi, rthilag and sumitra like this.

jv_66 is offline Super Moderator Silver Ruler's of Penmai
    Real Name
    Jayanthy

​Very good and useful recipes rthilag.

sumitra likes this.
    Jayanthy

jv_66 is offline Super Moderator Silver Ruler's of Penmai
    Real Name
    Jayanthy

Quote Originally Posted by mohanasri View Post
    wonderful work rthilag.. thanks for all the recipes and your secrets in introducing it to your daughter.

my daughter is doing her 4th standard. she is not at all eating properly. how can i make her eat heatlhy foods.. she just hang on to junky foods alone. suggest me some working ideas to make her eat healthy foods.

Mohana,

First of all, we should make the dishes in the way our children likes.

For example, if we want our child to eat dosa, we should not make the usual round one. Instead, we can make it into different country shapes or state shapes or animal shapes. By doing like this, she will find it different and we can tell her,"hey.....you are eating sri lanka, america, or anything else. So, daily, they will open their lunch boxes very curiously and nothing will be left over in the evening.

Next, if we ask her to eat carrot as a whole or cut into little, she may not. For this, you can make it in the form like we do for kosmalli and eat by one spoon after the other. Like this, you can follow for other products also in different ways.

Next, to make them eat nutritiously, we should tell them that, her hair will grow longer or it will glow, if she eats this, her eyesight will be very sharp if she is eating this, she can run faster, she can study well, she will grow taller, she can get good marks........like this it goes on........

We should not tell them in a harsh way. We should not compare them with other children.

Try these methods and you may find good results, because I have tried these methods with my son and it has worked well.

Parasakthi, rthilag and sumitra like this.
    Jayanthy

sumitra is offline Registered User
    Blogger
    Ruler's of Penmai
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by jv_66 View Post

Mohana,

First of all, we should make the dishes in the way our children likes.

For example, if we want our child to eat dosa, we should not make the usual round one. Instead, we can make it into different country shapes or state shapes or animal shapes. By doing like this, she will find it different and we can tell her,"hey.....you are eating sri lanka, america, or anything else. So, daily, they will open their lunch boxes very curiously and nothing will be left over in the evening.

Next, if we ask her to eat carrot as a whole or cut into little, she may not. For this, you can make it in the form like we do for kosmalli and eat by one spoon after the other. Like this, you can follow for other products also in different ways.

Next, to make them eat nutritiously, we should tell them that, her hair will grow longer or it will glow, if she eats this, her eyesight will be very sharp if she is eating this, she can run faster, she can study well, she will grow taller, she can get good marks........like this it goes on........

We should not tell them in a harsh way. We should not compare them with other children.

Try these methods and you may find good results, because I have tried these methods with my son and it has worked well.
    Dear Jayanthy, very good way you suggested to make the children eat the vegetables.thanks

Parasakthi and jv_66 like this.