Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
Penmai eMagazine November! | All Issues

User Tag List

Like Tree71Likes

Workaholic Mom

Discussions on "Workaholic Mom" in "Health and Kids Food" forum.

jv_66 is offline Super Moderator Silver Ruler's of Penmai
    Real Name
    Jayanthy

Re: Workaholic Mom

Quote Originally Posted by sumitra View Post
    Dear Jayanthy, very good way you suggested to make the children eat the vegetables.thanks

Thanks Sumitra.

Sponsored Links
    Parasakthi likes this.
    Jayanthy

rthilag is offline Friends's of Penmai

Thank you everybody. I am happy to see the thread becoming interactive

Parasakthi likes this.

Yamunan is offline Registered User
    Blogger
    Commander's of Penmai
    Blog Entries

Rthilag,,,

Your recipes are good and the way that you are expressing shows that natural gift of Mother-hood,,, nice,,,

Parasakthi and rthilag like this.

Dear Mohana,
    I listed what I do.
    Psychological:
    1. Whenever I feed my daughter , I tell the goodness of eating that particular food . I don't want to make it as an advice to her . So , I tell her that she will gain if she eats . This works on girl kids easily.
    2. This may not be good method. I feed her if she doesn't eat. While feeding her, I tell her stories and ask Riddles. We need to connect to kid and divert their attention while eating
    3. I also tell her that I am going to buy her chocolate / cake only when she eats the food properly.
    4. Some parents easily listen to their kid either they cannot see them cry or out of patience. Please don't forget that it us who bought them the junk food at the first place. We should stop blaming the Kids.
    5. Try to make cakes/chocolates/ pizza/ burger/Chips at home
    Cakes: Maida and butter are the bad ones in cake
    We can make spongy "MICROWAVE CAKE" without butter But,maida cannot be avoided.
    Chocolates:
    Buy/ Prepare only cocoa based chocolates. Please don't buy candies / caramel chocolates as it spoils the teeth.
    Pizza:
    Buy Wheat based pizza base . Instead of cheese alone, add grated paneer / Tofu along with cheese.
    Burger:
    Make Vegetable/Potato cutlet and put it between burger buns toasted with Ghee.
    French fries:
    Prepare potato fries at home

Food:
    Essential food for kids are milk, vegetables, greens fruits, nuts and pulses.
    1. If the kid doesn't like milk, make them eat yoghurt/ curd. According to me curd is more healthy because it carries the goodness of milk and Vitamin C.
    2. Vegetables
    Anyway , we kill the vitamins by cooking vegetables. So ,don't worry . The kid can be fed with vegetables of their choice ( Less potatoes).
    3. Fruits:
    Fruits should be regularly included either home made juice/smoothie /raw. This way , we can compensate the vitamins lost during vegetable cooking.
    4. Greens:
    Most difficult one. Please make spinach chapathi /Methi chapathi/ Ragi adai with drumstick leaves, Spinach soup with cream/curd and Siru keerai kuzhambu with Potato/Yam Fry. 100 ml of wheat gram juice will beat all other mentioned above. Initially my daughter resisted and she got used to it. Soon, I will post wheat gram sprouting with photos.
    5. Nuts
    Combo of 2 Badams, 1 date, 1 Fig and few raisins after milk in the morning will boost the kids for their day.
    6. Pulses:
    If she doesn't like dhals, innovate your cooking by making adai, any kind of sprouted dhal chapathis / Wheat puris.

Others:
    1. Buttermilk/Curd mixed Ragi/Kambu kanji in the evening .
    2. One egg a day without yolk.
    3. Replace maida products with Wheat as much as possible.
    4. Replace outside junk foods slowly by home made one

Chocolate Soy Milk:
    My daughter and myself started to like cappuccino flavoured soy milk. Other flavours like strawberry and chocolate are also good. Then I tried at home and we liked it. Now, it has become one of my weekend activity along with dosai/Idli batter. I suggest that you try the store bought flavoured milk and check whether you like the taste . Then, try the below recipe.

Soya Beans : 1 cup
    Water : 7 Cups
    Cocoa Powder : 1 tablespoon
    Vanilla Essence : 1/2 tablespoon
    Sugar : 4-6 tablespoon

1. Soak the soya beans in water for 12-14 hours.
    2. Pressure cook the soya beans up to 5 whistles.
    3. After the pressure cook, outer skin of soya beans would have come out. Strain the soya beans. Then, start removing the outer skin of other skin intact beans by light squeeze.
    4. Now grind the soya beans into smooth paste by adding 2 cups of water gradually.
    5. Strain the paste with muslin cloth . If required ,dilute the paste by adding 1 cup of water while straining.
    6. Again , add 1 cup of water to the strained pulp and grind it again. Strain it again
    7. Now you would have 3-4 cups of soy milk. Add the remaining cups of water and bring it to boil in a heavy bottomed vessel.
    8. Once milk is bubbling over, reduce the heat and let it simmer for about 20 minutes.
    9. During the last five minutes , add sugar and vanilla essence /extract. Add the cocoa powder little by little so no lumps get formed.
    10. Allow the milk to cool . Store this milk in bottle in fridge. Always, chilled soy milk are tastier. Till now , I stored it in fridge up to five days

Note:
    Strained out soy pulp can be added to Kofta mix / Potato cutlet mix. So, nothing wasted except the skin.

Parasakthi and sumathisrini like this.

SriRamajayam has shared the dangers of eating Ice Cream and Noodles in his blog. Please check it

Danger for Ice cream eating children. - Blogs - Penmai.Com - Indian, Tamil Women's Forum

Parasakthi likes this.

Hi,
    I have posted the recipe of ellu ( Sesame) maavu in the thread.
    http://www.penmai.com/forums/health-...ctation-3.html

Sesame seeds is a good source of Niacin, calcium and Iron. Niacin is a
    water soluble vitamin which means that body excretes excess niacin in urine, rather than storing it. Therefore, niacin rich food needs to be consumed everyday to avoid its deficiency.Niacin protects heart by lowering blood levels of "bad" LDL cholesterol Digestive system ( niacin increases liver blood flow), nervous system and brain need niacin to function. Niacin also helps body make new DNA, and it helps body use insulin efficiently to control blood sugar levels. Body also needs niacin to process fats.

Parasakthi likes this.

vaishnav is offline Commander's of Penmai
    Real Name
    Vaishnavi

1. Avoid placing restrictions on food.

Restricting food increases the risk your child may develop eating disorders such as anorexia or bulimia later in life. It can also have a negative effect on growth and development. Instead of banning foods, talk about all the healthy, nutritional options there are -- encouraging your family to chose fruits, vegetables, whole grains, lean meats, and low-fat dairy, while avoiding heavily processed, low-quality junk foods.
    2. Keep healthy food at hand.

Children will eat what's available. Keep fruit in a bowl on the counter, not buried in the crisper section of your fridge. Remember, your child can only choose foods that you stock in the house. And have an apple for your own snack. "Your actions scream louder than anything you will ever tell them," says Sothern.
    3. Don't label foods as "good" or "bad."

Instead, tie foods to the things your child cares about, such as sports or doing well in school. Let your child know that lean protein such as turkey and calcium in dairy products give them strength for sports. The antioxidants in fruits and vegetables add luster to skin and hair. And eating a healthy breakfast can help them keep focus in class.
    4. Praise healthy choices.

Give your children a proud smile and praise when they choose healthy foods such as fruits, vegetables, whole grains, or low-fat dairy.
    5. Don't nag about unhealthy choices.

When children choose fatty, fried, unhealthy foods, redirect them by suggesting a healthier option.

• Instead of regular potato chips and dip, offer baked tortilla chips and salsa.
    • If your child wants candy, try dipping fresh strawberries in a little chocolate sauce. Too busy? Keep naturally sweet dried fruit at home for quick snacks.
    • Instead of buying French fries, try roasting cut up potatoes in the oven (tossed in just a bit of oil).

6. Never use food as a reward.

This could create weight problems in later life. Instead, reward your children with something physical and fun -- perhaps a trip to the park or a quick game of catch.
    7. Sit down to family dinners at night.

If this isn't a tradition in your home, make it one. Research shows that children who eat dinners at the table with their parents have better nutrition and are less likely to get in serious trouble as teenagers. Start with one night a week, and then work up to three or four, to gradually build the habit.

8. Prepare plates in the kitchen.

You can put the right portion of each item on everyone's dinner plate, instead of offering up a food buffet or serve-yourself style. This way your children will learn to recognize healthy portion sizes. If adjusting to healthier portion sizes means smaller portions for your family, help make the switch seem less shocking by using smaller plates.
    9. Give the kids some control.

Ask your children to take three bites of all the foods on their plate and give each one a grade, such as A, B, C, D, or F. When healthy foods -- especially certain vegetables -- get high marks, serve them more often. Offer the items your children don't like less frequently. This lets your children participate in decision-making. After all, dining is a family affair.
    10. Consult your pediatrician.

Always talk with your child's doctor before putting your child on a weight loss diet, trying to help your child gain weight, or making any significant changes in the type of foods your child eats. Never diagnose your child as too heavy or too thin by yourself.
    "It's all about gradual changes. It's not overnight, and it's an uphill battle for parents," Sothern tells WebMD. "Everything outside of the home is trying to make kids overweight. The minute they walk out of the home, there are people trying to make them eat too much and serving them too much."

Last edited by vaishnav; 26th Dec 2012 at 07:08 AM.

Penny is offline Newbie

I think all Mums specially the working one's need to be much careful as concerned to their children, as this is the stage when they pick most things in their life as a permanent habit and a part of nature. So, mothers need to be active in developing their personalities, behavior and attitude, right from the start.

Last edited by sumathisrini; 2nd Feb 2013 at 12:23 PM.

Ragi-Keerai Adai:
    Here comes , one more way making my child to eat greens.
    Ragi Flour : 1 1/2 cup
    Dosai batter : 1/2 cup
    Drumstick Leaves : 1 cup
    Salt : As per taste
    Water

1. Cook the drumstick leaves with Turmeric and little amount of water for 2 minutes in medium flame.
    2. Once the leaves are cool, add the leaves and ragi flour in the mixie jar . Grind them together for 10 -20 seconds.
    3. Then, add the dosai batter to the jar. Run the mixie in wiper mode 3-4 times.
    4. Now,add adequate water to bring mixture to dosai consistency and run the mixie for 20 seconds. This step also removes the lumps from the batter
    5. Transfer the batter to utensil and mix salt .

Note:
    1. We like to eat the dosai with Maa-Inji pickle / Coconut chutney ( here , same amount of roasted peanut added instead of Pottu kadalai ).
    2. Unknowingly, the batter became loose because of excess water. Then, add rice flour.

Parasakthi likes this.