Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
Penmai eMagazine November! | All Issues

User Tag List

Like Tree71Likes

Workaholic Mom

Discussions on "Workaholic Mom" in "Health and Kids Food" forum.

rthilag is offline Friends's of Penmai

Workaholic Mom

Hello Friends,
    I am a working and not so great mom. As my daughter is a picky eater, we always struggled to make her eat healthy foods.I would like to share few healthy recipes of juice,soup and others which I learnt from others. Below 2 recipes are posted by me on other thread.

Carrot Milkshake:
    My Mom used to make this healthy drink for me and brother. Now, I make it for my family.

Ingredients:

Carrot: 1
    Dates : 5-6 pieces
    Badam: 4-5
    Cashew: 4-5
    Milk : 100 ml
    Water : 200 ml
    Sugar : Not required as Dates added here.

Soak the Badam and Dates in the water for 10-15 minutes.They can be soaked in the water going to be added in the juice. Now ,grind everything in the mixie.
    Now, get ready to run after your kids.

Note:
    I add dry fig When I make it only for me .

Add chilled milk and water . Do this to woo your kids.

It is good to drink the fresh juice to avoid loosing of anti-oxidants and vitamins.

Try to avoid sugar as the carrot and dates add sweetness to the juice. Prepare your kids to avoid sugar from young age.

The quantity of ingredients is planned for 2 people.

Similar Threads:

Sponsored Links

Re: Workaholic Mom

Juice for dengue fever
    Little story to begin with. My daughter had dengue fever a month ago.We were petrified. Dengue lasts for 2 weeks. First three days of high fever with temperature shooting to 103 degree . After three days, there may be no fever. From second day of fever, life threatening thing happens. Platete count begins to reduce. It may reduce by 40,000 a day.. This is the deadly risk factor of dengue fever.
    Doctor advices us to give her plenty of liquid.
    But my daughter could not eat / drink because of fever. Doctor's advice must be followed to keep good blood circulation.Also, good elderly educated neighbour adviced us to give KIWI juice. He gave PAPAYA leaf juice along with KIWI juice to improve the platelet count to his 30 + plus son during dengue fever.
    We literally forced our daughter to consume KIWI and POMEGRANATEjuice from 2nd day of fever. Each juice two times a day. Even though she vomited , we continued to make (forced) her to drink juice . Her platelet count became stable from third day and fever went off in third day.
    Kiwi juice is easy to make. Peel the skin of one kiwi and cut it into pieces. Add the slices and 4 table spoon of sugar in mixie jar . Grind it with 200 ml of water. Add more sugar if required as we get raw kiwis most of the time. Sugar amount can be reduced if the fruit is ripe.
    Do refer wikipedia for detailed info on Kiwi.

Bitter-gourd Chips:
    We wanted to introduce bitter gourd to my daughter. This is the toughest task. The regular and healthy way is to prepare poriyal or kuzhambu. But, kids hates these varieties. Let's introduce in the way so they get accustomed to bitterness without much hurdles to either of us.

Recipe:
    Slice the bitter gourd into rings. Put the bitter gourd in a bowl and add chillie powder, Turmeric, pepper and pinch of salt. Leave it for about 15 minutes. Then, squeeze the bitter gourd with hands to remove juice . Squeeze it without breaking the bitter gourd into pieces. Add Rice powder( about 2 table spoons ) to the squeezed vegetables and mix it well . Now, deep fry it medium flame. We can add salt and chillie powder/pepper to the fried ones or eat it as it is. Please don't make the kids to eat chips to eat as it is initially and serve the chips with dhal rice / Sambhar /Curd Rice. .

Tips to reduce bitterness:
    • Light and dark skinned bitter gourds are available in the market. Choose the ripe and light coloured ones for kids.
    • Scrap the bitter gourd a little bit with the help of peeler/knife and then cut the vegetable.
    • After cutting into pieces with or without scrapping , add pinch of salt and leave it for 15 minutes. Then, squeeze to remove the juice .
    • This tip is for kuzhambu. After following the either above three tips together or one tip, do a shallow fry before adding the vegetable to kuzhambu. Heat oil in the kadai and add the vegetable pieces . Now, shallow fry it for 10-15 minutes in medium flame. Use the shallow fried vegetables to your kuzhambu.

Increase the bitterness stage by stage.In the first stage, follow all 3 tips and prepare chips. Second stage shall be first and third tip together. Third stage shall be first and second tip together.Final will be first tip alone. Once you are successful with the chips , start kuzhambu with the tips in the same order of stages followed for chips.

Regards,
    Sudima

Last edited by rthilag; 6th Oct 2012 at 03:45 PM.

Hello friends,
    I would like to have this thread more interactive. Please share your recipes for kids in this thread or point me to the other thread. Please feel free to correct my recipes. Soon, I will come with recycled recipe which of course my daughter liked.

Regards,
    Sudima

umaravi2011 is offline Minister's of Penmai
    Real Name
    Uma

Hi

This is a good option will be quite useful

Thanks for sharing

Incase if you are looking for some more recipes for the family click on the thread given
    below my signature you might find some of them interesting .

Geetha A, Rudhraa and sumitra like this.

umaravi
    COURAGE IS NOTHING BUT WILLING TO BE AFRAID

Ask a Recipe - I will try to post it for you

Greens!! Greens!!

Spinach Soup:
    I got the recipe from Youtube . My daughter likes this healthy and tasty recipe

Ingredients:
    Spinach/Palak - 1 Bunch
    Cumin Seeds - 1 tablespoon
    Cinnamon - small piece
    Cloves - 4
    Peppercorns - 4-5 / as per taste
    Green chillie - 1
    Curd - 2 tablespoons
    Salt - as per taste
    Oil - One tablespoon
    Water - 200 ml

Steps:
    1. Blanch the spinach i.e boil it in 50 ml of hot water for 3 minutes and then wash the spinach in warm/chill water.
    2. Heat oil in kadai. Add cumin seeds, Cinnamon ,cloves and split green chillies. Then add peppercorns. Fry it for few seconds and allow it to cool.
    3. Grind the above with spinach . You can add water to get a smooth paste
    4. Heat the kadai. Add the paste ,salt and remaining amount of water. Bring it to boil and reduce the flame to low. Cook it for 5 minutes . Adding about 1/2 tablespoon of cumin powder at this stage is optional.
    5. Beat the curd and add it to boiling soup. Let it boil for one more minute. After a minute, soup is ready too be served . Instead of curd, fresh cream can be added.

Reason for adding curd/cream:
    Adding curd/cream removes the aroma of spinach which most of kids don't like.

Regards,
    Sudima

Last edited by rthilag; 11th Oct 2012 at 04:04 PM.
    Parasakthi, Rudhraa and sumitra like this.

sumitra is offline Registered User
    Blogger
    Ruler's of Penmai
    Blog Entries

Dear rthilag, very nice recipes madam. Really wonderful way of preparing nutritious food for the children within the available hours after and before venturing to our day to day official work. I really appreciate your efforts to educate our penmai working women folks. thanks

Rudhraa and Yamunan like this.

swetharoy is offline Newbie

super recipes.. rthilag..

Rudhraa and sumitra like this.

Thanks everybody for viewing and liking my recipe. I feel encouraged. I always try to add greens/dhal/vegetables in some or other way regularly to make my daughter eat healthy foods. I am trying to post simple and nutritious food for kids.

Spinach chapathi/poori
    Again, this is a very simple one.

Ingredients
    Spinach or Malabar palak - 1 bunch
    Wheat flour - Measured in 200 ml tumbler
    Cumin Powder - 1 tablespoon
    Pepper Powder - 1/2 tablespoon
    Green chillie - 1
    Salt - according to taste. I add 1/2 tablespoon
    water - add it accordingly.

1. Palak:
    Blanch the palak . Grind it to smooth paste with green chillie and 20 ml of water
    or
    Grind raw palak with green chilli and 20 ml of water
    Malabar palak:
    I don't cook or blanch and just grind the green with water. This is more stickier than regular palak but highly nutricious.

2. Take the flour in bowl . Add the cumin, pepper and salt to flour . Mix it well
    3. Now, add the palak paste to the flour and mix it well. As palak is sticky, amount water varies . So, add water little by little while kneading .Add more flour if required , to make the dough less sticky and prepare a regular dough.
    4. Leave the dough for 5 - 10 minutes. Don't leave it for more time as the dough shall become very soft.
    5. Now, roll into poori or chapathi. I roll the chapathi/poori with roller pin and also use wheat flour while rolling. I mentioned this as I don't know how this will turn out if you roll it the help of oil or any other way.