Penmai eMagazine November! | All Issues

User Tag List

Like Tree31Likes
  • 7 Post By gkarti
  • 6 Post By jv_66
  • 6 Post By PriyagauthamH
  • 6 Post By gkarti
  • 6 Post By Rudhraa

Is it good to give Health Drinks to very Small Children??

Discussions on "Is it good to give Health Drinks to very Small Children??" in "Health and Kids Food" forum.

gkarti is offline Super Moderator Silver Ruler's of Penmai
    Real Name
    Karthiga

Is it good to give Health Drinks to very Small Children??

Hi all!

There are lot of health drinks available in the market especially for small children (aged between 2-10 years), like Junior Horlicks, Complan Nutri Grow, Bournvita Little Champs, Pediasure etc. Some are moderately priced while others, a bit costly and all claiming to be full of nutrients, increase height and weight, strengthen natural immunity, help in brain development and so on.

If you have a child who is a fussy eater and slow to gain weight when compared to other children of same age, you will be worried and tempted to try these health drinks.

Now my question is,
    are these health drinks really safe and do they contain any harmful chemicals & will they lead to obesity in the future?? Are they really of any help in anyway??

Is it good to give Health Drinks to very Small Children??-healthy-drinks-kids.jpg

Similar Threads:

Sponsored Links

jv_66 is offline Super Moderator Silver Ruler's of Penmai
    Real Name
    Jayanthy

Re: Is it good to give Health Drinks to very Small Children??

Good thread Karthi.

According to me, just plain milk will do , for the children's growth in all aspects. It has all the necessary and essential nutrients for the child to grow.

But, these health drinks, which are available in the market, surely adds the taste to the plain milk.

This way, we can tempt the child to drink the ESSENTIAL MILK.

According to me, this is the only benefit of the health drinks.

No specific development of the children have been proved by these drinks.

This seems to be a MYTH among the mothers, due to the influence of the advertisements.

But there seems to be no harm in using them.

Moderator Note:

This Article has been published in Penmai eMagazine April 2014. You Can download & Read the magazines HERE.

Last edited by sumathisrini; 15th Aug 2014 at 07:59 PM.
    Jayanthy

PriyagauthamH is offline Registered User
    Blogger
    Guru's of Penmai
    Blog Entries

Hi Karti , Super question...........

As jaya ka has said there is no need for these health drinks if a child is given a nutritively well balanced diet...........They do need vitamin supplements though.....

UK Health Departments recommend that all babies aged from six months onwards should be given a supplement that contains vitamins A, C and D, such as Healthy Start vitamin drops, unless they are drinking 500ml (about a pint) of infant formula a day (infant formula has vitamins added to it). You can continue to give young children a supplement containing vitamins A, C and D until they are five years old, as this will help to make sure that they are getting enough of these vitamins. This is especially important when they are learning to eat a variety of foods and if they are fussy eaters.

I have also always had this question about health drinks ........ As i dont give it to my DD i always feel am i doing the right thing ? if it is not needed why do they have so many varieties in the market ? One of my doctor friend reassured me that except for young children with some chronic illness( illness may disrupt their food habits ) normal ,healthy children do not need health drinks....... Thanks for raising it ....

Moderator Note:

This Article has been published in Penmai eMagazine April 2014. You Can download & Read the magazines HERE.

Last edited by sumathisrini; 15th Aug 2014 at 07:59 PM.
    Priya

gkarti is offline Super Moderator Silver Ruler's of Penmai
    Real Name
    Karthiga

My Mom always used to Say, "Anything which is packed and marketed can never be cent percent safe for a child be it a health drink or canned baby". food.

Jay Aunty & Priyaa Kaa,

Well Said!! Thanks a lot for your Smart Answers. Hope this will be helpful to all Members.

Moderator Note:

Last edited by sumathisrini; 15th Aug 2014 at 08:00 PM.

Rudhraa is offline Moderator & Blogger Commander's of Penmai

good thread kartiga.. well said jayanthy and priya..

Health drinks just all get attracted to ads and addicted to the taste..

To me home made ragi malt is healthier.. Even it is safe and highly nutritious for kids and others too.

Moderator Note:

Last edited by sumathisrini; 15th Aug 2014 at 08:00 PM.
    Universal Rule Never Change!
    What you send out, comes back.
    What you sow, you reap.
    What you give, you get.

Bagavad Gita Discussion Group| Must Read Motivational Books!