Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
Penmai eMagazine December! | All Issues

User Tag List

Like Tree98Likes

How to make kids eat fruits and vegetables?

Discussions on "How to make kids eat fruits and vegetables?" in "Health and Kids Food" forum.

Rudhraa is offline Moderator & Blogger Commander's of Penmai

How to make kids eat fruits and vegetables?

Hi friends,

The toughest task in parenting, making kids to eat fruits and veggies. Share here some worked tricks which you used in making your kid to eat fruits and vegetables.

My son is not at all eating fruits and vegetables. He is just eating an apple and banana. Not touching other things. He was very constipated for the past 2 weeks. Doctor advised to give him more fiber rich foods, but whatever I do he is just refusing to eat.

Help me!

Similar Threads:

Sponsored Links
    Universal Rule Never Change!
    What you send out, comes back.
    What you sow, you reap.
    What you give, you get.

Bagavad Gita Discussion Group| Must Read Motivational Books!

jv_66 is offline Super Moderator Silver Ruler's of Penmai
    Real Name
    Jayanthy

Re: How to make kids eat fruits and vegetables?

Hi Rudhraa,

Very good question.

Most of the mothers will face this problem.

I think, there is no other go than to follow the method, which I have given in this post.

Mom!!!!!!!! Please give me healthy foods!!!!!! OK!!!!!!

You can give colorful fruits and you can cut it in different shapes. Tell him that it is so attractive, and if he is not eating it, you or your husband will eat it, and that is why, you have grown so big , beautiful, so that everyone is praising you. You are able to travel to all places, and you have played a lot only by eating those things etc.

You can also tempt him with Chota Bheem, who eats everything. You can tell him, that he (your son) will also become so strong as Chota Bheem, and any other cartoon characters.

Always you need to divert his attention from eating. Only then, he will eat these things. You can divert him by telling stories etc.

Last but not the least, you can try this method, if nothing works out. You can mash the necessary fruits in the mixie and mix this with the milk or any other food which he likes to eat. Also the vegetables, can be mixed like this, in his food.

And for Constipation, you can give KISMIS (dry grapes). This will ease his motion. You can also soak these in the hot water. Then mash it and filter the water and give him, if he is too young to take the grapes as a whole.

Moderator Note:

This Article has been published in
    Penmai eMagazine Nov 2013. You Can download & Read the magazines HERE.

Last edited by gkarti; 9th Jul 2014 at 01:14 PM.
    Jayanthy

Parasakthi is offline Super Moderator Ruler's of Penmai
    Real Name
    Parasakthi KS
    Blog Entries

Nice thread Rudhra...

My sister's daughter also not eating fruits and some vegetables. she eats only orange, apple, banana and carrot. But not even touching other veggies and fruits.

Parasakthi is offline Super Moderator Ruler's of Penmai
    Real Name
    Parasakthi KS
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by jv_66 View Post
    Hi Rudhraa,

Very good question.

Most of the mothers will face this problem.

I think, there is no other go than to follow the method, which I have given in this post.

Mom!!!!!!!! Please give me healthy foods!!!!!! OK!!!!!!

You can give colorful fruits and you can cut it in different shapes. Tell him that it is so attractive, and if he is not eating it, you or your husband will eat it, and that is why, you have grown so big , beautiful, so that everyone is praising you. You are able to travel to all places, and you have played a lot only by eating those things etc.

You can also tempt him with Chota Bheem, who eats everything. You can tell him, that he (your son) will also become so strong as Chota Bheem, and any other cartoon characters.

Always you need to divert his attention from eating. Only then, he will eat these things. You can divert him by telling stories etc.

Last but not the least, you can try this method, if nothing works out. You can mash the necessary fruits in the mixie and mix this with the milk or any other food which he likes to eat. Also the vegetables, can be mixed like this, in his food.

And for Constipation, you can give KISMIS (dry grapes). This will ease his motion. You can also soak these in the hot water. Then mash it and filter the water and give him, if he is too young to take the grapes as a whole.
    Thanks for your ideas ka.

jv_66 is offline Super Moderator Silver Ruler's of Penmai
    Real Name
    Jayanthy

Quote Originally Posted by Parasakthi View Post

Thanks for your ideas ka.

Welcome Sakthi

Jayanthy

PriyagauthamH is offline Registered User
    Blogger
    Guru's of Penmai
    Blog Entries

Join the club Rudhraa.... My DD is good with veggies but likes only red fruits( Ava girl Aan so red and pink thaan girl colours aam) so she eats only strawberries , water melon and raspberries....exception is banana...

Vegetables- can grate veggies and add it to almost everything- idly, dosai, , uthappam, paniyaram, curd rice..... Innaiku colour theme maathiri green and orange/ yellow red nu vechu antha veggies based cooking... Can make soups.... Even chappati with radish or keerai or stuffed parathas ippadi thaan.... Also being a girl she wants long hair so I have managed to talk to my friends with long hair... Antha cousins and aunt laam fruit and veg saapitaa mudi valarum nu sollradhala saapida ra.... Comedy Enna na every meal appuram mudi long aagiducha nu feel panni paarpa and ennai keppa .... Ippadi thaan Samalikaren..... So entice him with his fav character... You will grow strong or tall like xxx character nu...

fruits wise - can make milkshakes or juices(do not add sugar)or chop fruits and add to yoghurt and give as flavoured yogurts....
    Also fruit salad by itself or with a bit of ice cream...
    naan cakes laam fruit or veg or dry fruits potu thaan panradhu..... Even
    kesari with pineapple nu panren....

Appuram am dry fruits like cashew va konjam fried rice, , brinji,kurma , groundnuts with vegetables nu add panni cook pannalaam....

badam , pistaam vechu milk drink pannalaam....

Dry fruits payasam, even dry fruits vechu sweet pannalaam....

But do not give sugary treats.... Plus do not be hard and fast all week days.... Limit treats like chocolates only to weekends or when he has done exceptionally well in something....

Lots of grad work from our part.... But they are what they eat ... Particularly when old to avoid health issues... So worth the effort......

Good luck....

Moderator Note:

Last edited by gkarti; 9th Jul 2014 at 01:15 PM.
    Priya

Rudhraa is offline Moderator & Blogger Commander's of Penmai

priya.. can't control myself.. red and pink colors ippave avangalukku pidika aarambikkutha.. any way atleast antha colors fruits and veggies aavathu ippadi saapidaraanglae... thats good idea na..

yeah most of the girl baby will be craze for their hair length.. ithuvum nalla idea than.

Thanks for the tips, too.. will try your ideas too for making him to eat fruits and veggies.

Universal Rule Never Change!
    What you send out, comes back.
    What you sow, you reap.
    What you give, you get.

Bagavad Gita Discussion Group| Must Read Motivational Books!

Blogger
    Guru's of Penmai
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Rudhraa View Post
    priya.. can't control myself.. red and pink colors ippave avangalukku pidika aarambikkutha.. any way atleast antha colors fruits and veggies aavathu ippadi saapidaraanglae... thats good idea na..

yeah most of the girl baby will be craze for their hair length.. ithuvum nalla idea than.

Thanks for the tips, too.. will try your ideas too for making him to eat fruits and veggies.
    Try pannunga ..........do share ideas you come upon......... plus i find that letting her help me in cooking helps...... she helps with rice washing, chappati flour making ,picking spices etc.......keeps her occupied and that way she feels her food and sees transformation from uncooked to cooked state........

jv_66, achu2012, Rudhraa and 1 others like this.
    Priya

achu2012 is offline Registered User
    Blogger
    Citizen's of Penmai
    Real Name
    உமாதேவி
    Blog Entries

I do try most of the ideas suggested by PrigaG. She is grace about pink and red too. Most of the times when I cook I make her she is near to me by asking small small help from her like PriyaG said. This makes them eagerly watch and the food prepared in front of her sure she will not waste. Try this out.

My daughter is very weak in having fruits. In a week I select a few fruits and put them in the mixer and mix it with milk and give her. Sometimes with yogurt, sometimes with Icecream and so on...

Sometimes I use the toy moulds (I have a collection specifically for food)to make small chrts with fruits and with lots of questions and stories she will have it. But somehow she will eat. Now I'm finding little bit better now.

For constipation try raisins (atleast 10 a day) . they are very good. Add it with food, snacks... it is very easy to make them eat this. It's good in Iron as well.
    `

Moderator Note:

Last edited by gkarti; 9th Jul 2014 at 01:16 PM.
    Parasakthi, jv_66, Rudhraa and 1 others like this.
    Cheers
    Uma

Blogger
    Guru's of Penmai
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by achu2012 View Post
    I do try most of the ideas suggested by PrigaG. She is grace about pink and red too. Most of the times when I cook I make her she is near to me by asking small small help from her like PriyaG said. This makes them eagerly watch and the food prepared in front of her sure she will not waste. Try this out.

My daughter is very weak in having fruits. In a week I select a few fruits and put them in the mixer and mix it with milk and give her. Sometimes with yogurt, sometimes with Icecream and so on...

Sometimes I use the toy moulds (I have a collection specifically for food)to make small chrts with fruits and with lots of questions and stories she will have it. But somehow she will eat. Now I'm finding little bit better now.

For constipation try raisins (atleast 10 a day) . they are very good. Add it with food, snacks... it is very easy to make them eat this. It's good in Iron as well.
    `
    Hi Uma....Long time no see........how r u and how is ur health? Girls naalae easy aa irukku nu ninaikaren........ Adi likes i can cook katie character .......so vilayada cup and karandi vechu mix ,mix nu pesuvaa...... unga ideas ellam super....... Thanks for sharing Uma .......Take care...........

Priya