Blood shot eyes

Question: My eyes are always bloodshot and they look awful. How can I make the whites of my eyes whiter?

Many of the eye’s blood vessels are tiny enough that if you can see them, they’re irritated or inflamed, says ophthalmologist and Best You friend, Dr. Lee Duffner.

If you’ve tried cold compresses and been checked out for allergies and you’re still flying red-eye,

Lee has these suggestions.

To combat eye dryness, try getting more omega-3 fatty acids into your diet with salmon, tuna, sardines, walnuts, and flax seeds -- or just take 1,000 mg of fish oil a couple of times a day. (But don’t take more than 3,000 mg daily unless you’re under a doctor’s supervision.)

Germs on your hands or in your cosmetics can cause a mild infection, inflaming the edges of your eyelids. The best home treatment is to gently scrub the edges of the eyelids with a few drops of baby shampoo on a clean, wet washcloth. And replace your makeup every three to six months.

If none of this helps, talk with your doctor -- your eyes may be so dry that you need prescription drops. In the meantime, try this eye-fooling tip from Los Angeles makeup artist Nina Davis: Use a navy-blue mascara -- Christian Dior makes a nice one, she says -- because navy blue makes the whites of your eyes look brighter!