Health Benefits of Barley
Discussions on "Health Benefits of Barley" in "Healthy and Nutritive Foods" forum.
31st Mar 2012, 05:01 PM #1
- Real Name
- Parasakthi KS
- Join Date
- May 2010
- Blog Entries
Health Benefits of Barley
Barley has numerous health benefits. It is known for its ability to help alleviate diabetes, high cholesterol and obesity. It is also effective against diseases like atherosclerosis, diabetes, insulin resistance etc. Given below are some of the benefits.
- Barley is low in fat and is known to reduce craving some kinds for food and therefore very useful to those who want to lose weight. It acts as an appetite suppressant making people feel like they have eaten more than they really have.
- Barley is high is soluble fiber and can reduce blood cholesterol and blood glucose levels. It helps in reducing the cholesterol level in the body as the dietary fiber in barley binds to bile acids and helps dispose them through the feces. Consuming Barley is said to soothe and calm the bowels. Dietary fiber in Barley is helpful in making your digestive system run smoothly and maintaining a healthy colon. The friendly bacteria present in the large intestine ferment the insoluble fiber content of the barley to form butyric acid which functions as the main fuel for intestinal cells. The insoluble fiber in barley is also said to help women fight against the formation of gallstones.
- The Copper present in barley is known to be helpful in reducing the symptoms of rheumatoid arthritis. Copper helps in maintaining the flexibility in blood vessels, bones and joints.
- Barley is rich in niacin, which is highly effective in reducing the risk of cardiovascular diseases and blood clots.
- Barley is also good for persons suffering from diabetes and can take the place of normal food where rice is prohibited. Barley may be an even better breakfast choice than oats for persons with Type 2 diabetes. Consuming Barley is known to substantially reduce the risk of diabetes.
- Barley can prove to be extremely helpful in curing childhood asthma.
- It is Easy to digest and can be given to invalids.
- Barley is diuretic, brings clear urine and is useful in fevers. It can be used as a nutrient in cases of mucus colitis or simple diarrhea with fever.
- Barley contains Selenium which is helpful in preserving the elasticity of the skin and protects it from radical damage. It also has Manganese which works with the B complex vitamins and gives an overall feeling of well being.
- Barley grass is used in traditional Chinese medicine. It rich in vitamins A, C, B1, B2, folic acid,B12,calcium,iron, potassium and chlorophyll. It has been prescribed to fight diseases of the spleen or poor digestion. It has also been utilized to treat conditions such as depression or emotional imbalance. Barley grass is a powerful antioxidant that is believed to help the body kill cancer cells and overcome a variety of ailments, including acne and ulcers.