barley and its health aspects
Discussions on "barley and its health aspects" in "Healthy and Nutritive Foods" forum.
9th May 2012, 11:56 PM #1
barley and its health aspects
What is barley?
Barley (also called groats) is botanically known as Hordeum vulgare, and is believed to originate in western Asia or Ethiopia. Dating back to the stone age, barley is still considered one of the top five cereal grains in the world. Only ten percent of barley is used as human food, while a full third is used for brewing malt beverages, including beer and whiskey. However, the majority of harvest barley is used for livestock feed. Barley is also a prime ingredient in the making of one variety of the popular Japanese condiment called miso.
Barley Types - Forms of Barley
• Pearl barley is by far the most popular form of barley in the United States. Extensive processing removes the two outer hulls along with the bran layer resulting in uniformly-sized, ivory grains with very little fiber. This processing makes it less chewy to the bite, but it also removes a vast majority of the barley's inherent nutrition. Its flavor is mild and nutty, and it cooks in 30 to 45 minutes.
• Rolled or flaked barley is similar to rolled oats and is used as a cereal.
• Barley flour (also known as barley meal) has a low gluten content which results in a low-rise, so it is often combined with higher-gluten flours when used for leavened breads that need to rise.
• Barley grits are toasted, ground barley grains used as a cereal or cooked side dish.
• Hulled barley (also known as whole-wheat barley) has only the outer layer removed, leaving the bran layer intact. It is extremely high in fiber and nutrition, with a pronouced flavor that makes the toothy workout worthwhile. This form requires the longest cooking time.
• Scotch barley has been husked, then coarsely ground. It takes a long cooking time to become tender.
• Quick barley is pearl barley that has been steamed and dried. It will cook up the fastest, usually in less than 15 minutes.
Benefits Of Barley
Barley is a cereal grain that is used extensively in soups and stews. It is derived from the grass called Hordeum vulgare. It grows as a widely adaptable crop and is popular in tropical as well as temperate areas. Barley plant is resistant to drought and more tolerant to soil salinity. It is one of the first crops that were grown in the Near East, almost at the same time as einkorn and emmer wheat. Neolithic humans had a common liking for the barley drinks. Barley makes a nutritious food for humans, with several health benefits to its credit. In many parts of the world, it is also used as the food for animals. It has a rich nutty flavor and pasta-like consistency. Today, Canada, United States, Germany, France, Spain and the Russian Federation are the leading commercial producers of barley. We bring you the list of health benefits associated with barley, in the lines below.
Health Benefits Of Eating Barley
- Barley is rich in dietary fiber, which gives food to the friendly bacteria present in the large intestine. These bacteria ferment the insoluble fiber content of the barley to form butyric acid. The acid, in turn, functions as the main fuel for intestinal cells. Besides this, it is functional in maintaining a healthy colon.
- The dietary fiber in barley aids the production of acetic acids and propionic acid as well, which sever as the fuel for liver and muscle cells. Propionic acid also restricts the action of HMG-CoA reductase, which is involved in cholesterol production in the liver. In this way, barley helps in reducing the cholesterol level in blood.
- The dietary fiber in barley binds to bile acids and helps dispose them through the feces. The cholesterol level in the body is, thus, reduced to a considerable extent.
- The friendly bacteria that are fed by barley’s insoluble fiber also help in removing the pathogenic bacteria from the body.
- Barley is rich in niacin, which is highly effective in reducing the risk of cardiovascular diseases. It prevents the oxidation of LDL, by the free radicals. Niacin also lowers the assembling of platelets, which can lead to the clotting of blood.
- The cereal is effective against diseases like atherosclerosis, diabetes, insulin resistance and ischemic stroke.
- Barley’s rich content of insoluble fiber helps women fight against the formation of gallstones.
- It is rich in phosphorous, which has an integral part in the formation of body cells’ structure.
- Phosphorous is highly required for the formation of mineral matrix of the bones. Besides, it is an important component of compounds like ATP, nucleic acids and lipid-containing structures, like nervous system and cell membranes.
- Barley helps in maintaining a healthy intestine. It helps in decreasing the transit time of fecal stuffs and also increases the bulk. As a result, the risk of colon cancer and hemorrhoids get reduced to a considerable extent.
- The cereal contains copper, which reduces the symptoms of rheumatoid arthritis. Copper is also required for the activity of lysyl oxidase, an enzyme required for the cross-linking of collagen and elastin. These substances provide the basic substance and flexibility to bones, joints and blood vessels.
- The cereal contains plant ligans, which get converted into mammalian ligans by the friendly flora present in the intestines. They are said to provide protection against breast cancer and other hormone-dependent cancers, apart from being known for their effectiveness in case of heart diseases as well.
- Barley can prove to be extremely helpful in curing childhood asthma. It substantially lowers the risk of diabetes also.
- Barley belongs to the grain group called ‘Gluten grains’, which lead to some allergic reactions in people.
- People who have allergic disposition to wheat products can have gastrointestinal upset with barley products also.
- Barley dust may cause eye, sinus or nasal irritation in some people.
- If contaminated with fungus, barley can cause Kashin-Beck disease (KBD), which is associated with bones.
- Before cooking barley, you should rinse it properly under cold running water. Thereafter, remove stone and any debris, if any.
- After rinsing barley, mix one part with three and a half parts boiling water or broth. When you find that the liquid has started boiling, turn down the heat. Cover the container and allow it to simmer. You should simmer pearled barley for around one hour and the hulled barley for about 90 minutes, to cook it.
- You can mix barley flour with wheat flour and make breads and muffins out of them. You can add barley to any stew or soup and give it an extra flavor. Cracked barley or barley flakes can be used to make hot cereal.
15th May 2012, 10:53 AM #2Newbie
- Join Date
- May 2012
Re: barley and its health aspects
Barley Consuming water Benefits -
According to the Cotton society, drinking barley water is been proved beneficial to one"s health. The ancient society has many sources of drinking barley water.
1.Barley water is said to be the best pick-me-up for all the stomach inflammations. It helps in expelling various poisons from the system.
2.Barley water is generally advised for patients suffering from diarrhoea, high high temperature and contamination as it provides energy, easily digestible and keeps the system cool.
3.The sprained water is used for face as it is believed to bring ambiance to skin and also stops the wrinkles.
4.The proper eating plan snacks common conditions like coughing, tonsils and throat inflammation like pharyngitis.
5.Barley juice quenches desire, snacks renal problems and also improves appetite.
6.It is also said that drinking barley water everyday can avoid many illnesses as water acts like an remedy.
7.Barley water is also successor for expectant mothers as it is found to avoid the infection of the urinary system during that time.
8.The barley cereals is had with use products and is proven healthy for diet-friendly people. Barley is unpalatable and cholesterol free.
Last edited by Parasakthi; 15th May 2012 at 11:31 AM.
15th May 2012, 04:02 PM #3Newbie
- Join Date
- May 2012
Re: barley and its health aspects
1.Barley is complete of disolveable roughage, which gives food to the beneficial germs present in the digestive tract.
2.The disolveable roughage in barley helps the of acetic substances and propionic acidity as well, which serious as the petrol for liver organ and muscular tissues.
3.The disolveable roughage in barley holds to bile substances and allows get rid of them through the waste.
4.The beneficial germs that are fed by barley’s insoluble roughage also help in eliminating the pathogenic germs from the program.
5.Barley is complete of niacin, which is amazing in decreasing the risk of center diseases.
6.The cereal products is effective against diseases like coronary artery disease, diabetic issues, blood insulin level of resistance and ischemic center stroke.
7.Barley’s rich content of insoluble roughage allows women combat against the generation of gall stones.
8.It is complete of phosphorous, which has part in the generation of program cells’ framework.
9.Barley allows in keeping a healthy digestive tract.
10.The cereal products contains birdwatcher, which decreases the the signs of osteoarthritis.
Last edited by Parasakthi; 15th May 2012 at 04:12 PM. Reason: External Link Removed