Tips for good sleep
Discussions on "Tips for good sleep" in "Healthy and Nutritive Foods" forum.
23rd May 2012, 06:00 PM #1
Tips for good sleep
Proper sleep is important for the proper functioning of your body. If you do not get sufficient sleep during the night, you may end up feeling lazy, tired and dull on the next day. Getting a good nightís sleep can make you more productive and active the next day. Here are some tips to help you sleep better in peace :
- Make it a habit to go to sleep at the same time and wake up on the same time everyday. And follow this schedule even on weekends. This helps to set your body clock to these timings.
- Follow a regular, relaxing bedtime routine such as taking a hot shower and reading a book before sleeping.
- Create a sleep-conducive environment by making your room dark, comfortable, quiet and warm. Make sure your bedroom is free of light, noise and other distrbances.
- Make sure your bedroom is at a comfortable temperature at night.
- Do not take a heavy meal too close to bedtime. Finish eating at least three to four hours before sleeping. Avoid eating very spicy or fatty foods, as this may cause heartburn and discomfort throughout the night.
- Avoid caffeine at least 5 to 6 hours before sleeping as caffeine is a stimulant. Do not consume coffee, tea, soda, soft drinks, iced tea, chocolate and various over-the-counter medications close to bedtime. These may keep you awake.
- Avoid alcohol and wine close to bedtime. Drinking might lead to disrupted sleep and snoring. It disturbs your sleep and aggravates your hangover by making you restless.
- Avoid nicotine, as it is also a stimulant.
- Do not smoke before bedtime as smoking may disturb your sleep.
- Use the bedroom for sleep and sex only. Take off all the work materials from your bedroom. Do not watch TV or use a computer for atleast 1 hour before sleeping.
- Drink warm milk. Warm milk slows down brain activity. You can also mix some honey with milk.
- Avoid taking naps during the day. If it is necessary to sleep during the day, do not sleep more than half an hour.
- Make it a habit to excercise during the day. Regular excercise is the perfect way of improving your sleep. But be careful not to do it after evening.
- Read for a while before sleeping.
- Get some fresh air. You can open a window or take a walk in your garden or better still, walk your dog.
- Relax in your bed. Remember your bedtime is not a time to plan the next dayís events. You can do all this in the evening.
- Donít think of anything when you are in bed. Donít take your problems and worries to bed. Meditate for a while. Take deep, long breaths and focus on sleeping, by taking your mind off from other things.
- Do not listen to the radio or songs while in bed. But if you think you can relax more and sleep better with music, play some soft, soothing music.
- Avoid taking excessive fluids in the evening.
- Do not go to bed on an empty stomach. Otherwise you may feel hungry or get cramps in your stomach.
- Taking a light snack may induce sleep, but a heavy meal close to bedtime is a big no-no. Try to stay away from protein rich foods and stick to carbohydrates, as snacks rich in carbohydrates may improve sleep.
- Go to bed as soon as you feel sleepy. Try to sleep before 12, somewhere around 10, as this is the best time to sleep. If you stay awake till midnight, chances are that your mind will become active again and you may not get sleep after that.
- If you canít sleep night after night, then you might be suffering from a sleep disorder. Seek advice from a doctor immediately.