Walnuts Health Benefits
Discussions on "Walnuts Health Benefits" in "Healthy and Nutritive Foods" forum.
9th Jun 2012, 08:20 PM #1
- Real Name
- Join Date
- Jul 2011
- Blog Entries
Walnuts Health Benefits
Walnuts benefits are most pronounced in the area of heart health. It contains the much-vaunted omega-3 fatty acids which impart a lot of health benefits to the heart and circulatory system.
The kernel consists of two bumpy lobes that are fleshy white in color. These partially-attached lobes are covered by a thin, light brown skin. These kernels are enclosed in brown shells that are round or oblong shaped.
The walnuts are rich in oil, and are typically eaten either fresh or as an addition to cooked food. Walnuts also produce oil that is often used in salad dressing.
It is said that walnuts, along with pecans and chestnuts, have the highest antioxidant content of the tree nuts.
Walnuts impart a host of health food benefits due to it being an excellent source of omega-3 essential fatty acids, which is said to be one of the most 'heart friendly' nutritional substances around. These compounds enhance cardiovascular health by helping to make blood less likely to clot inside arteries. Omega-3 in walnuts also help improve good cholesterol levels in the body. These also help fight inflammation.
Walnuts also contain an antioxidant compound called ellagic acid which aids the immune system in fighting a myriad of health ailments and disorders. It also appears to impart several anti-cancer properties. Walnuts are also a good source of the antioxidant melatonin which is the regulator of the sleep-wake cycle.
The following are the health food nutrients found in walnuts:
- vitamin A
- vitamin E
The following are the walnuts benefits that may be derived from eating this superfood:
- Walnuts may help in the reduction of risk from heart attack.
- Walnuts may help in the reduction of risk from strokes.
- Walnuts may help in the prevention of arthritis and rheumatism.
- Walnuts may help in strengthening the immune system to help fight diseases caused by viruses and bacteria.
- Walnuts may have anti-cancer potentials.
- Walnuts may help in the prevention of asthma.
- Walnuts may help in the prevention of skin disorders such as eczema or psoriasis.
- Walnuts may help in inducing rest and relaxation.
- Walnuts may help relieve constipation.