Health benefits of Kiwi
Discussions on "Health benefits of Kiwi" in "Healthy and Nutritive Foods" forum.
31st Aug 2012, 10:44 PM #1
Health benefits of KiwiThe fruit is small and oval. It is brown and fuzzy on the outside, and on the inside, it contains, a green fleshy part, surrounded by black edible seeds.
- Kiwi fruits are rich in many Vitamins, flavonoids and minerals. In particular, they contain a high amount of Vitamin C (more than oranges), as much potassium as bananas and a good amount of beta-carotene.
- It prevents a build up of deposits and plaques in the arterial walls, puts a stopper to platelet clumping and aggregation, thus preventing arterial narrowing and blockages, and consequently, guarding against ischemic heart disease.
- The reason for this health benefit is the presence of vitamin C, vitamin E, and polyphenols (anti-oxidants) in abundance, in the fruit.
- Kiwis are particularly useful in promoting respiratory tract health. This is attributed to the vitamin C (ascorbic acid) content in them. The fruit helps to control difficult breathing, shortness of breath, wheezing, and night coughs.
- The high content in dietary fiber helps improving diseases such as diabetes, by controlling sugar levels, and colon cancer, since fiber binds to toxic compounds in the colon and helps us expel them.
Last edited by Rudhraa; 31st Aug 2012 at 10:53 PM.