Benefits Of Watermelon
Discussions on "Benefits Of Watermelon" in "Healthy and Nutritive Foods" forum.
19th Oct 2012, 06:20 PM #1
- Real Name
- Join Date
- Jul 2011
- Blog Entries
Benefits Of WatermelonBenefits Of Watermelon
Watermelon, a fruit native to Southern Africa, is today cultivated in almost all the countries with a tropical or temperate climate. It has a very thick and hard rind, with a fleshy center. There are five different varieties of watermelons, including Yellow Watermelon, Orangeglo, Moon and Stars, Cream of Saskatchewan and Melitopolski, differing in their colors as well as sizes.
Water melons have a very high water content, which makes them extremely refreshing, especially during summers. At the same time, they are low in calories and have almost no fats, making them one of the healthiest fruits. If you want to know more about the health and nutrition benefits of eating watermelons, browse further.
Nutritional Value of Watermelon
Given below is the amount of nutrients present in 100 gm of watermelon:
- Calcium - 7 mg
- Carbohydrate - 7.55 gm
- Fats - 0.15 gm
- Fluoride - 1.5 mcg
- Iron - 0.24 mg
- Magnesium - 10 mg
- Phosphorus - 11 mg
- Potassium - 112 mg
- Protein - 0.61 gm
- Sodium - 1 mg
- Sugars - 6.20 gm
- Total Dietary Fiber - 0.4 gm
- Total Folate - 3 mcg
- Vitamin A - 569 IU
- Vitamin C - 8.1 mg
- Water - 91.45 gm
- Energy - 30 kcal
- Carotenoids (Lycopene, Phytofluene, Phytoene, Beta-Carotene, Lutein and Neurosporene)
Health & Nutrition Benefits of Eating Watermelons
- Watermelons, being rich in potassium, help keep salt from raising blood pressure and might diminish the risk of kidney stones also.
- It is said that watermelons strengthen the immune system and help the body in fighting off infection.
- Watermelon is a very concentrated source of the carotenoids, which have been credited with cancer-preventing properties.
- Consumption of water melons has been found to result in alleviation of some of the symptoms of osteoarthritis and rheumatoid arthritis.
- Watermelon is rich in some of the most important antioxidants and helps the body in neutralizing free radicals and thus, diminishes the risk of colon cancer.
- The antioxidants in watermelons help reduce the risk of heart attack in individuals.
- Watermelon is very low in calories, making it the perfect snack for those who are trying to lose weight.
- Watermelons have been associated with reducing the airway spasm that occurs in asthma.
- The beta carotene present in water melon helps keeps your vision sharp, especially at night.
- Watermelons have been linked with easing inflammation and preventing the occurrence of diabetes.
19th Oct 2012, 06:53 PM #2
- Join Date
- Jul 2012
- Blog Entries
Re: Benefits Of Watermelon
Dear Nisha, so nice of you. regarding watermelon and its benefits you have opened my eyes. I have never thought this fruit would have got these many benefits and also the nutrients available in this water fruit; thanks