• 2 Post By gayathripattabi
  • 1 Post By deepa bala
  • 2 Post By sugavani
  • 2 Post By lavanyap
  • 1 Post By sumitra
  • 1 Post By deepa bala
  • 1 Post By deepa bala

A Cup of Coffee!!

Discussions on "A Cup of Coffee!!" in "Healthy and Nutritive Foods" forum.

deepa bala is offline Guru's of Penmai
    Real Name
    Deepa
    Blog Entries

A Cup of Coffee!!

A Cup of Coffee

With so many cafes sprouting up all over India, Indians are suddenly consuming more coffee than they used to. Is this a healthy trend?

What is caffeine?

Caffeine is essentially a central nervous system stimulant, and is a mildly addictive drug. It causes your body to release adrenaline, which in turn causes pupils to dilate. Adrenaline further increases your heartbeat for a few minutes, which is not a harmful thing by itself. The liver releases sugar into the bloodstream and you feel energized. Caffeine is a mildly addictive drug.

Can I drink coffee when I am pregnant?

Yes you can. There is no need to stop drinking coffee when pregnant. A moderate intake (around 2 -3 cups a day) is perfectly harmless. (However, presuming that you add 2 spoons of sugar in your coffee, you are consuming around 6 spoons of sugar with 3 cups of coffee! Needless to say, this will cause a greater weight gain during pregnancy!) Research findings as to whether more than 3 cups of coffee in a day is harmful, is inconsistent. As a result, different doctors make different suggestions. We would encourage you to play safe when pregnant, and don't have more than 2 cups of coffee in a day. After all, caffeine is not present in coffee alone, and you never know in what other forms you are consuming it.

Does tea contain caffeine?

Yes, tea does contain caffeine. A cup of moderately brewed tea contains around 30% less caffeine than a cup of coffee does.

What soft drinks contain caffeine?

Soft drinks like Coke and Pepsi contain almost as much caffeine as does a cup of coffee. High energy drinks like Mountain Dew contain more caffeine than Coke. So if you must have two cups of coffee in a day, skip the soft drink and have a juice instead. Soft drinks like Citra and 7 Up contain no caffeine at all.

What effect will this have on my foetus?

When you consume a cup of coffee, your foetus feels a brief bout of stress, while your heartbeat and metabolism increase. This is equivalent to you running a short distance to catch that bus, and is not harmful for the foetus. However it is important to avoid drinking too much coffee. In addition, caffeine is a diuretic, which means that it prompts your body to lose water through urination. Thus, for every cup of coffee you consume, drink 2 additional glasses of water. If you drink coffee at night, you may have trouble falling asleep.

Can I have coffee immediately after a meal?

Coffee inhibits the body's ability to absorb certain minerals like iron and calcium, so avoid consuming coffee within one hour of a meal. It's best to have coffee in the evenings, along with a light snack.

Similar Threads:

Sponsored Links
    lavanyap and sumitra like this.

Real Name
    Deepa
    Blog Entries

Re: A Cup of Coffee!!

How much caffeine am I taking in, in a day?

A moderate caffeine intake is defined as around 300 mg of caffeine in a day. Here's how you can find out whether your caffeine intake is moderate or excessive.

Decaffeinated coffees contain negligible amounts of caffeine (5 mg per cup).
    Instant coffees contain half the amount of caffeine than espressos (100 mg per cup) or cappuccinos (100 mg per cup) do.
    The more brewed the tea leaves, the more caffeine they contain. Heavily brewed and strong teas can contain more caffeine than a cup of cappuccino, while lightly brewed teas can contain around 30 mg of caffeine per cup.
    Chocolate contains around 10 to 15 mg of caffeine, while coffee based chocolates contain more.
    Pain relievers contain around 30 mg of caffeine.

Any tips to cut down caffeine consumption?

Switch to decaf coffee.
    Brew the coffee tea leaves for a shorter period.
    Stir the coffee directly into a cup of milk without heating the coffee separately in water.
    Switch to herb teas. Some of them do not contain caffeine. (Read the list of ingredients.)

Source: ParentingIndia

lavanyap and sumitra like this.

gayathripattabi is offline Friends's of Penmai

Deepa,
    Thanks pa. Nan oru coffee priyay. So this info helps my mind to stay away from coffee. Thx again:-)

deepa bala and sumitra like this.
    Faith and Perseverance will lead to what you want!!!

Gayathri Pattabiraman

Real Name
    Deepa
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by gayathripattabi View Post
    Deepa,
    Thanks pa. Nan oru coffee priyay. So this info helps my mind to stay away from coffee. Thx again:-)

Hi Gayathri! Welcome pa... I think its difficult to stay away, may be u can reduce it

sumitra likes this.

sugavani is offline Newbie

Great information thanks

Last edited by sumathisrini; 6th Nov 2012 at 10:26 AM.

lavanyap is offline Registered User
    Blogger
    Guru's of Penmai
    Blog Entries

Useful info....deeps...

sumitra is offline Registered User
    Blogger
    Ruler's of Penmai
    Blog Entries

Dear deepabala, coffee lovers won't like your post. but the truth is like that. however I am also addict to strong coffee. I don't know how I will reduce my intake of coffee. however it is good you brought out this illeffects of coffee. thanks

deepa bala likes this.

Real Name
    Deepa
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by lavanyap View Post
    Useful info....deeps...

Thanks Lavs

lavanyap likes this.

Real Name
    Deepa
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by sumitra View Post
    Dear deepabala, coffee lovers won't like your post. but the truth is like that. however I am also addict to strong coffee. I don't know how I will reduce my intake of coffee. however it is good you brought out this illeffects of coffee. thanks

Yes Sumi, truth is always bitter. Even I am trying ways to reduce the intake of coffee, but failing:(

sumitra likes this.