Discussions on "Banana Banana" in "Healthy and Nutritive Foods" forum.
15th Sep 2011, 10:57 PM #1
There over 1,000 types of bananas in the world, many of them differing slightly in appearance, size, taste and use.
two types of bananas, those that you can immediately eat, sometimes called dessert bananas, and those that need to be cooked prior to eating and are higher in starch, called plantains.
popular Types of banana
The Manzano banana
is short and chubby with a mild strawberry-apple flavor, and the skin is black when it’s ripe.
is about three inches long. When they are ripe, they turn bright yellow and have a rich, sweet flavor, and creamy texture. This is one of the smallest and sweetest bananas around.
The Burro banana
is round and has a squared off ends. This is stubbier, smaller, and more rectangular in shape than Cavendish yellow banana. When ripe, the skin is yellow with black spots, and the flesh is creamy white.
The Red banana
is heartier and slightly sweeter than yellow banana. When ripe, they have maroon/purple skin to almost black, and the flesh is pinkish, or salmon color.
The Plantain banana
is starchy and lower in sugar. It has to be cooked before serving since it’s unsuited to eat it raw. Plantains are native of India, and grow mostly in tropical climates.
nutrition values of banana
1. Vitamin B6 is the vitamin needed by people who feel weak, irritated easily and have difficulty in sleeping.
2. Potassium regulates blood pressure and reduces chances of high blood pressure and stroke.
3. Potassium enables muscles to contract and expand smoothly during exercises. It reduces cramps.
4. Potassium helps to rid fluid retention .
5. Carbohydrate found in bananas contribute to the daily energy usage.
6. Fiber in bananas help maintain healthy, regular bowel movements.
7. Bananas are easy to digest.
8. Bananas can be used to substitute sweets and candies because they taste great. It helps people with sugar cravings.
9. Not only chocolates, but bananas too have serotonin and norepinephrine that helps elevate depression. It naturally improves your mood.
10. Banana is the best fruit to eat after a 4km jog. As the body loses vitamins and minerals, 2 bananas is enough to replace the nutrients lost as well as replenishing energy.
11. Bananas are the best solid food to introduce to infants. The fact is bananas contain 0% fat, is easy to digest and is not allergenic.
12. Bananas are a natural hit with kids because of it’s taste. Moreover, children are growing all the time and they need the energy provided by bananas.
Green tipped bananas are good to cook.
Yellow bananas are best eaten raw.
Brown specked bananas taste best when baked with bread, muffins or cookies.
The riper the banana, the sweeter it is. Reason is the starch turns to sugar.
Sliced bananas added into cereals, salads, yogurt, smoothies or shakes makes it taste even better.
To preserve bananas, put them in the fridge. The peel will darken but the inside remains firm and delicious.
To ripen bananas faster, put them a paper bag with an apple and a tomato.
Last edited by vijigermany; 15th Sep 2011 at 11:02 PM.