• 3 Post By akshu.anitha
  • 4 Post By vaishu2405
  • 4 Post By Rudhraa
  • 5 Post By sumathisrini
  • 4 Post By jv_66
  • 2 Post By vaishu2405
  • 2 Post By jv_66

valaikappu and seemantham

Discussions on "valaikappu and seemantham" in "I am pregnant" forum.

Madhu Pooja is offline Newbie

valaikappu and seemantham

friends,

is valaikappu and seemantham are the same? is there any difference between these two? i had read somewhere that valaikappu and seemantham are different. when i asked to my mom and mil, they didnt say anything lik that. now i am 6 month pregnant and this is my first baby. my hubby want to do all sambirathayam correctly. please clarify my doubt.

Sponsored Links
    Parasakthi and datchu like this.

akshu.anitha is offline Penman of Penmai
    Blogger
    Commander's of Penmai
    Real Name
    Anitha Aravind
    Blog Entries

Re: valaikappu and seemantham

Quote Originally Posted by Madhu Pooja View Post
    friends,

is valaikappu and seemantham are the same? is there any difference between these two? i had read somewhere that valaikappu and seemantham are different. when i asked to my mom and mil, they didnt say anything lik that. now i am 6 month pregnant and this is my first baby. my hubby want to do all sambirathayam correctly. please clarify my doubt.
    hi madhu,

first of all my hearty congratulations and best wishes for your joyful and safe delivery. this valaikappu and seemantham are quite different. In valaikappu, the expectant mother is made to wear bangles made of glasses in different colours. so that thesound of these bangles are supposed to reach the womb. my grand ma used to say that this sound helps the womb to be more secured and happy. the gold and silver kappu also weard during this ceremony. only the women are invited during this ceremony.

Seemantham -

This is performed during the period between the fifth and the eighth months of pregnancy. The specific materials used during this Samskara, that are for the lady only, are, the quill of a porcupine, an ear of ripe paddy and some Udumbara leaves. The deity invoked is Rika, the presiding deity of the full-moon.

Their implications are: that the pregnancy should be fruitful; the child should be endowed with sharp and penetrating intellect (like the sharp quill of the porcupine). The child should be beautiful like the full-moon. The gist of the Mantra is: "I beseech the goddess Raka. May she make this ceremony blameless. May my son be endowed with sharp intellect."

The woman is dressed in new clothes and jewelry used for such occasions. Among some Nairs of Malabarm two local ritualistic additions called ariyidal and Garbha Prashnam are performed. In the ariyidal the seated pregnant lady is given rice and appams in her lap. In the Garbha Prashnam, an astrologer prescribes ritualistic remedies (if needed) for the protection of the mother and child as well as for smooth child birth in the event of any astrological obstacles. Afterwards, the pregnant lady visits four temples, including her own ancestral temple and prays to the deities for a healthy child and for a smooth delivery. After this she begins to observe Pula or birth pollution, which extends up to 15 days after childbirth. The family then holds a feast for all the relatives. Medicines and routines are prescribed for the woman, which are to be followed till childbirth. Ladies are asked to sing: "Be a mother of heroic sons" thus creating a heroic atmosphere. The mother fasts and keeps silent after the ceremony till night time when the stars become visible. At the close of the ceremony she touches a male calf, symbolizing a son.

At the time of pregnancy this is performed for the health and wealth of to born Baby and also for normal delivery.

Parasakthi, nlakshmi and jv_66 like this.

vaishu2405 is offline Friends's of Penmai

Smile Re: valaikappu and seemantham

hello, thanks for sharing the information on valaikappu and seemandham.i would like to know what color bangles should i buy for my valaikappu and also significance of each color.i am in 5 th month of my pregnancy. Thank u in advance.

Rudhraa is offline Moderator & Blogger Commander's of Penmai

Quote Originally Posted by penmai123 View Post
    hello, thanks for sharing the information on valaikappu and seemandham.i would like to know what color bangles should i buy for my valaikappu and also significance of each color.i am in 5 th month of my pregnancy. Thank u in advance.
    Hi,
    Congrats on your pregnancy! May God bless you with healthy child.
    Usually Green and Red color bangles are prefereed for Valaikaapu. I don't know the significance, but my mom told this.

Wait for our senior friends answer. BTW, Join our due date club, too and share your pregnancy experiences.

Universal Rule Never Change!
    What you send out, comes back.
    What you sow, you reap.
    What you give, you get.

Bagavad Gita Discussion Group| Must Read Motivational Books!

sumathisrini is offline Super Moderator Silver Ruler's of Penmai
    Real Name
    Sumathi

ஹாய் பெண்மை,

உங்களுக்கு என் வாழ்த்துக்கள்.

ஜந்தாம் மாதம், ஏழாம் மாதம், ஒன்பதாம் மாதம் என்று பெண், பிறந்த வீட்டுக்கு வரும் போது ஒரு ரிலாக்சேஷன். விரும்பியதை சாப்பிட்டு விரும்பியவர்களுடன் அளவளாவி, புடவை, வளையல் என பரிசுகளை சுமக்கும் போது தாய்க்கு மனம் மகிழும். அந்த மகிழ்வு குழந்தையின் மன நலத்திற்கும், உடல் நலத்திற்கும் ஏதுவாக அமையும்! இப்படி மருத்துவ ரீதியாகவும், உளவியல் ரீதியாகவும் அமையப்பட்டவையே நமது சம்பிரதாயங்கள்.

கண்ணாடி வளையல்கள் கனமானவை, பல்வேறு நிறங்கள், கலகலவென இனிய ஒலி, இதன் காரணமாகவே கண்ணாடி வளையல்களைத் தேர்வு செய்தனர் நம்மவர். பெண்களின் முழங்கைக்குக் கீழே மணிக்கட்டு வரை கருப்பையைக் சார்ந்த வர்மப்புள்ளிகள் உண்டு. கனமான கண்ணாடி வளையல் அணியும் போது அந்தப் புள்ளிகள் அழுத்தப்படுகின்றன. அடிக்கடி கைகளை மேல் நோக்கி உயர்த்தும் போது சர்ரென்று கீழிறங்கும் வளையல்கள், அந்த புள்ளிகளுக்கு சரியான அழுத்தம் அதாவது அக்குபிரஷர் செய்கின்றன. அதன் காரணமாக கருப்பை நன்கு செயல்பட்டு, குழந்தை ஆரோக்கியமாக வளரவழி செய்கிறது. பல் வேறு நிறங்கள் மனதுக்கு ஆரோக்கியம் அளிக்கும் "கலர் தெரப்பியாக" செயல்படுகிறது. இனிய ஒலி இன்னிசையாக மாறி "இசை தெரப்பியாக" செயல்படுகிறது.

மேலும் கர்பிணிகள் படுக்கும் போது வளையணிந்த கைகளை தன் வயிற்றில் மீதே வைத்துக் கொள்வார்கள். அந்த ஒசையை கருவில் இருக்கும் குழந்தை கேட்டு கேட்டுத் தன் தாயை அடையாளம் காண்கிறது மானசீகமாக. வயிற்றுசிசுவிற்கு மனமும் சிந்தனையும் உண்டு என்று இன்றைய விஞ்ஞானிகள் கூறுகிறார்கள் .

மகாபாரதத்தில் அர்ச்சுனன் மகன் அபிமன்யு தாயின் கருவில் இருந்த போதே சக்கர வியூகத்தை எப்படி உடைப்பது என்று கிருஷ்ணன் மூலம் கேட்டு உணர்ந்தவன் குருஷேத்திரப் போரில் அதன் படி செயல் பட்டவன்.

மேலும் நாரதர் கூறிய "ஓம் நாராயணா" என்ற மந்திரத்தை தாயின் கருவில் இருந்தே கேட்டு வளர்ந்த பிரகலாதன் விஷ்ணுவையே தனது கடவுளாக வரிக்கிறான், தந்தை இரண்யகசபுவின் தண்டனைகளில் இருந்து தப்புகிறான். இறுதியில் பிரகலாதன் கேட்டுக் கொண்டபடி நரசிம்ம அவதாரம் எடுக்கிறான் விஷ்ணு, இரண்யன் அழிகிறான்.

நம் முன்னோர்கள் எந்த ஒரு விஷயத்தையும் காரண காரியம் இன்றி செயல்படுத்தவில்லை. ஏன் என்ற கேள்வியை நாம் கேட்க மறந்ததன் விளைவு, எதற்கு என்று அவர்களும் விளக்காமல் பூடகமாகவே சொல்லி வைத்ததும் ஒரு தவறு.

Last edited by sumathisrini; 23rd Mar 2014 at 01:23 PM.

jv_66 is offline Super Moderator Silver Ruler's of Penmai
    Real Name
    Jayanthy

Hi Friend,

Congrats for your pregnancy.

Our friends have given the details about Valaikappu.

Now, coming to your query, in many families, during the 5th month the valaikappu will be done in the husband's house. During this time, only BLACK colored bangles and Black saree will be given to wear, by the MIL

This is called as MOKKU POOCHOOTTAL.

For this, only 5 to 6 bangles will be worn.

இது திருஷ்டிக் கழிப்புக்காக

Then the actual Valaikaapu, will be done by the mother of the pregnant girl, during 7th to 9th month.

This will be done as as separate function or will also be done just before the Seemandham.

For this, there is no specific color of glass bangles to be worn. Almost
    ALL THE COLORS can be chosen. The main color which should not be worn during this Valaikaappu is the BLACK color. The earlier worn, black colored bangles will be removed now.

They will put தங்கக்காப்பு & வெள்ளிக்காப்பு , which are made in silver (thin bangles) and one will be dipped in gold plated (தங்கக்காப்பு).

The other will be வேப்பங்காப்பு. this will be the tiny stem of the neem leaf.

All the Kaapu is believed to protect the pregnant girl and the child in the womb.

In the right hand, the number of bangles will be even numbers and in the left hand, it will be one less and will be in odd numbers.

Apart from the reasons, which Sumathi has explained, one more reason for wearing these bangles is,

During the last Trimester, the pregnant girl will feel like urinating very often.

So, when she wakes up and goes to the Rest room, the mother will be little cautious by hearing the Bangles' sound.

Last edited by jv_66; 24th Mar 2014 at 12:39 PM.
    Jayanthy

vaishu2405 is offline Friends's of Penmai

Hi can seemantham be conducted be after baby birth or before birth of 2nd child cos due to some problem I'm confined to take bed rest completely till delivery..I know first childkudhaan it's done.I was really lookin forward for it but ipdi aaidchu...so pls guide me on this...thanks in advance

sumathisrini and jv_66 like this.

jv_66 is offline Super Moderator Silver Ruler's of Penmai
    Real Name
    Jayanthy

Hi can seemantham be conducted be after baby birth or before birth of 2nd child cos due to some problem I'm confined to take bed rest completely till delivery..I know first childkudhaan it's done.I was really lookin forward for it but ipdi aaidchu...so pls guide me on this...thanks in advance

சீமந்தத்தை , முதல் குழந்தைக்கு மட்டும்தான் செய்ய வேண்டும் .
    எட்டு அல்லது ஒன்பது மாதங்களில் செய்ய முடியாவிட்டால் , குழந்தை பிறந்த பிறகு செய்யலாம் .

இதை , குழந்தையின் புண்யாகவசனம் , அதாவது பெயர் வைக்கும் வைபவம் , இதை , குழந்தை பிறந்து 11 நாட்களுக்குப் பிறகு ,சௌகரியப்படி செய்வார்கள் (தாய் , குழந்தையின் உடல் நலத்தைப் பார்த்து , எப்போது வேண்டுமானாலும் ).

அன்று , முதலில் , இந்த சீமந்ததைச் செய்து விட்டு , பிறகு புண்யாகவசனத்தைச் செய்ய வேண்டும் .

அப்போது , தாயானவள் , குழந்தையை , மடியில் வைத்து , புடவையால் மூடிக் கொண்டு ,(வயிற்றுக்குள் இருப்பது போல ) இருக்க , தந்தை இந்தச் சடங்குகளைச் செய்ய வேண்டும் .

இந்தச் சடங்கை ,முடிந்தவரை சுருக்கமாக முடித்து விடுவார் ஐயர் (வாத்தியார் ) (குழந்தையை அதிக நேரம் வைத்துக் கொண்டு செய்வது அம்மாவுக்கும் குழந்தைக்கும் கஷ்டமாக இருக்கும் என்பதால் ).

இந்தச் சீமந்தம் சடங்கு முடிந்த பிறகு , ஒரு வாணலியில் காய்ச்சிய நெய்யைக் கொண்டு(ரொம்பச் சூடாக எல்லாம் இருக்க வேண்டாம் ) வந்து வைத்து , அதில் மேலாகக் குழந்தையை அம்மா காண்பிக்க , அதன் நிழலை அப்பாவானவர் பார்த்து விட்டு , பிறகுதான் , புண்யாகவசன சடங்குகளைத் தொடர வேண்டும் .

பொதுவாக , முதல் மனைவியின் முதல் குழந்தைக்கு மட்டுமே இந்தச் சீமந்தச் சடங்கைச் செய்ய வேண்டும் . சந்தர்ப்ப வசத்தால் , முதல் மனைவிக்குக் குழந்தை இல்லாமல் ,(டிவோர்ஸ் செய்து விட்டு இருந்தாலும் ) இரண்டாவது கல்யாணத்தில் குழந்தை பிறக்கும் போது , இந்தச் சீமந்தச் சடங்கைச் செய்வதில்லை . ஆனால், இந்தக் காலத்தில் , நிறைய ஐயர்கள் (வாத்தியார்கள்) அவரவர்களுக்குச் சாதகமாக எல்லாவற்றையும் செய்வதால் , இதையும் செய்கிறார்கள் .

sumathisrini and vaishu2405 like this.
    Jayanthy