Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
Penmai eMagazine November! | All Issues

User Tag List

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By saranyasri
  • 1 Post By PriyagauthamH

tests to be done during pregnancy

Discussions on "tests to be done during pregnancy" in "I am pregnant" forum.

saranyasri is offline Newbie

tests to be done during pregnancy

what are all the tests that must be done during pregnancy

Similar Threads:

Sponsored Links
    sumitra likes this.

PriyagauthamH is offline Registered User
    Blogger
    Guru's of Penmai
    Blog Entries

Re: tests to be done during pregnancy

Hi Saranya , congratulations.....
    in your first visit the doc/ midwife will request for routine blood test to confirm pregnancy and to chk hemoglobin level, rh factor, for HIV, hep.b , and rubella antibodies....
    also they will chk ur BP, ht, wt, urine for sugar, proteins and infection....

in India - they offer scans early but in abroad usually only 2 scans are done .. One at 3 and at 5 months of gestation....

the 3 months scan is called nuchal translucency scan and it is a combined test where in a bloodtest is also done at same time as scan... This scan gives the chances of Down's syndrome ... If this test gives a high risk result then after counselling an amniocentesis or chorionic villus sampling test will be offered ... Both carry risk of miscarriage and hence prior counselling.....

the 5 month scan is called Anamoly scan- it is a detailed scan where all organs , limbs are checked.... A thorough scan which chks and measures growth and also helps in confirming the due date if there were doubts in previous scan......

Plus routine urine dipstick and BP at every visit ..... The foetus is checked with a Doppler for the heart beat and rate... In addition as pregnancy progresses they measure the tummy and chk foetal growth....

At around 28 wks if high risk for gestational diabetes a GTT is done....I had one at 3 months too as we have a strong family history of diabetes including gestational Diabetes....

Also additional scans to chk placental position if previous history of placenta previa or if any previous scans showed abnormal placental position....

if there is doubts re: foetal growth they may ask for growth scans too...

i had a initial scan to rule out ectopic pregnancy and further scans due to bleeds... In addition i had the 3,5 month scan and a growth scan too... mine was a omplicated pregnancy so had a few more scans in between... So based on individual patient needs these will vary....

Bp chk and urine dipstick is important as these simple tests help diagnose preeclampsia.....

i have given this list based on my experience.... Hope this helps.....

Last edited by PriyagauthamH; 12th Apr 2013 at 05:30 AM.
    sumitra likes this.
    Priya

sumitra is offline Registered User
    Blogger
    Ruler's of Penmai
    Blog Entries

Re: tests to be done during pregnancy

Dear Saranyasri, please click on the following penmai thread links for your clarification on the tests to be done during pregnancy

tests and scans during pregnancy

Tests during pregnancy in india

Tests And Scans During Pregnancy