• 5 Post By Durga Prathap
  • 3 Post By sumitra
  • 4 Post By Durga Prathap
  • 3 Post By sumitra
  • 3 Post By Durga Prathap
  • 2 Post By jv_66
  • 2 Post By Durga Prathap

Diabetic pregnancy guidance

Discussions on "Diabetic pregnancy guidance" in "I am pregnant" forum.

Smile Diabetic pregnancy guidance

Hi,

I am 6 weeks pregnant now for first baby. I also have type 2 diabetes and taking insulin now.
    I am going for regular check ups for sugar level maintenance and need guidance for the diet and foods to avoid and to have normal delivery. Please give suggestions for normal delivery like kind of exercises, yogas and so on.

Similar Threads:

Sponsored Links

sumitra is offline Registered User
    Blogger
    Ruler's of Penmai
    Blog Entries

Re: Diabetic pregnancy guidance

Hi Durgaprathap, congratulations for your pregnancy! please wait. our doctor members will advise you regarding your query. all the best! thank you!

Parasakthi, sumathisrini and jv_66 like this.

Hello Sumitra,

Thank you for your warm wishes. Yes I wait for them.

sumitra is offline Registered User
    Blogger
    Ruler's of Penmai
    Blog Entries

Hi durga prathap, please visit webmd.com where I read the following article which may help to clear your doubts:
    Diabetes Pregnancy Preparation

Meeting with your health care provider before becoming pregnant is very important to ensure a healthy pregnancy. Your health care provider can help you determine if your diabetes is controlled well enough for you to stop your birth control method. A blood test called the glycosylated hemoglobin test (HbA1c) can help evaluate how well your diabetes has been controlled over the past eight to 12 weeks.
    Having other medical tests before you become pregnant can also help your diabetes health care provider monitor your health and prevent the development of diabetic complications during pregnancy. Your health care provider may recommend tests that include:

• A urinalysis to screen for diabetic kidney complications
    • Cholesterol and triglyceride blood tests
    • Eye exam to screen for diseases common in diabetics such as glaucoma, cataracts, and retinopathy
    • Electrocardiogram
    • Blood work for renal and liver function
    • Diabetic foot exam

A pre-conception counseling appointment with your health care provider is another important step in preparing for pregnancy. Pre-conception counseling helps educate women so they can be physically and emotionally prepared -- and healthy -- for pregnancy.
    Diabetes Pregnancy and the Importance of Blood Sugar Control

Good blood sugar control is important before becoming pregnant, because many women do not even know they are pregnant until the baby has been growing for two to four weeks. High blood sugar levels early in the pregnancy (before 13 weeks) can cause birth defects. They also can increase the risks of miscarriage and diabetes-related complications.
    Good blood sugar control means keeping blood glucose levels within the ideal range (70 to 100 mg/dL before meals, less than 120 mg/dL two hours after eating, and 100-140 mg/dL before the bedtime snack), as well as balancing meals, exercise, and diabetes medications.

How Diabetes and Pregnancy May Affect Baby

A common problem among the babies of pregnant women with diabetes is a condition called "macrosomia," which means "large body." In other words, babies of diabetic women are apt to be considerably larger than others.
    This occurs because many of these babies receive too much sugar via the placenta, because their mothers have high blood sugar levels. The baby's pancreas senses the high sugar levels and it produces more insulin in an attempt to use up all the extra sugar. That extra sugar is converted to fat, making a large baby.
    Sometimes, the baby becomes too large to be delivered vaginally, and a cesarean delivery becomes necessary. Your doctor will closely monitor your baby's size and plan for the safest mode of delivery.
    If you have high blood sugar levels consistently during pregnancy (especially in the 24 hours before delivery), your baby may develop dangerously low blood sugars right after delivery. This is because the baby has high levels of insulin to use up the extra sugars, and when that that source of sugar is suddenly taken away, his or her blood sugar levels drop quickly. Thus, many hospitals monitor babies of mothers with diabetes in the nursery for several hours after birth. If your baby's blood sugar levels are low, the baby will be given glucose intravenously. Your baby may also have imbalances in calcium and magnesium levels, which can be replaced with medication.

for more details please visit webmd.com

Hi,

Yes. hope this website gives more info. I do check. Thank you Sumitra

jv_66 is offline Super Moderator Silver Ruler's of Penmai
    Real Name
    Jayanthy

Congratulations Durga, for your Pregnancy.

Yes.....you need to be very careful, since you have Type -2 Diabetes.

Never miss your Insulin.

The foods you need to avoid are

Sugar and any sugary items in any form.

Juices

Kanji

For
    Breakfast, you can take 2 idlis or 2 dosa or 2 chapathis, Rava upma (various types like wheat rava - puli upma, oats upma, Semiya upma etc.)

For
    lunch, Instead of White rice, you can stick on to BROWN RICE or RED RICE (Kerala rice).
    To cook this, you need to keep lesser amount of water, you generally use for white rice and you should keep the stove in sim mode, after you put the weight of the cooker. you should leave about 8 sounds of the cooker. Only then, this rice will cook well.

You can take all the vegetables except potato, (but you can take violet potato), beetroot, carrot. You can avoid coconut. very less oil.

You can take lots of Sooji Rava (rava upma), rava dosa etc. You can also make Rava, Oats and Ragi flour as solid Kanji and mix very little rasam or curd to it and eat as usual rice.
    You can take this for your dinner.

In between, you can take salads of mixed vegetables, sprouted items like pachai payaru .

You can take MARIE biscuits, in between.

You can take lots of buttermilk. one cup of curd along with lunch.

Please avoid fruit juice and instead you can take the fruit as whole.

Liquid juice and liquid kanji will shoot up the sugar levels.

You can take oranges, mosumbi , half apple, berries, Avacados.

You can take Aval.

Always have 5 to 6 short meals instead of 3 full meals.

Don't take stomach full. You should never starve.

And regarding normal delivery, for many of the diabetic preggies, it may not be possible. Since, the baby may gain weight than the usual preggies, usually, the doctors may suggest only Caeserian section for the diabetic preggies.

And they will want to avoid any complications.

But this may not be the case for all the Diabetic preggies.

By watching the development of the foetus, the doctors may suggest by the 6th or 7th month itself, if the C-section is to be done.

Anyway, your hospital team would suggest all kinds of exercises which would help for the normal delivery.

You should not do the exercises by reading any books or watching any videos, because, the exercises may differ according to our body constitution. only the trainer will know better, and you should never take any risk during this time.

Go for regular walking. Do the exercises which are taught by the hospital trainer. This will surely help for the normal delivery.

Please act according to your gynaec's advice, who had checked you regularly. She knows better than anyone.

We always pray for your safe delivery.

For moral support,you can chant the below slokams. Just click the below link
    s.

Mantras to get Pregnant and for Safe Delivery

Garbarakshambika slokam

Particular slogam in Soundarya Lahari

Santana gopala mantra

Swayamvara parvathi mantra

Mantras in Tamil

Abirami mantra

சுகப்பிரசவம் ஆக

Parasakthi and sumathisrini like this.
    Jayanthy

Hello Jayanthi,

Your guidance has given me confidence.
    I seen all the slokas and i will do prayers as well, which will support my mind to get rid of from fear.

Thank you so much Jayanthi. I will follow your guidance.

sumathisrini and jv_66 like this.

jv_66 is offline Super Moderator Silver Ruler's of Penmai
    Real Name
    Jayanthy

Quote Originally Posted by Durga Prathap View Post
    Hello Jayanthi,

Your guidance has given me confidence.
    I seen all the slokas and i will do prayers as well, which will support my mind to get rid of from fear.

Thank you so much Jayanthi. I will follow your guidance.

Welcome Durga.

Jayanthy