Penmai eMagazine December! | All Issues

User Tag List

Like Tree8Likes
  • 2 Post By aarthi kannan
  • 2 Post By a_hat
  • 3 Post By nlakshmi
  • 1 Post By nlakshmi

work with animals while I am pregnant?

Discussions on "work with animals while I am pregnant?" in "I am pregnant" forum.

aarthi kannan is offline Newbie

work with animals while I am pregnant?

Hi friends,

I'm Aarthi... i love pets,,, now am having a puppy dog and cat...

As i'm carrying now,and this is my first Baby, i just want to know, whether is it safe to work with animals at this time... How to behave with my pets?

thanks in advance

Similar Threads:

Sponsored Links
    nlakshmi and Sangeetha Kumar like this.

a_hat is offline Registered User
    Blogger
    Commander's of Penmai
    Blog Entries

Re: work with animals while I am pregnant?

Hi Ma,

Congrats!

It is not good to have rodents with you, while pregnant. Take care.

hrsin and Sangeetha Kumar like this.
    Everything is "Pre-Written " .Nothing Can "Re-Written "
    Live The Best & Leave The Rest To God

nlakshmi is offline Minister's of Penmai
    Blog Entries

Hi aarthi,
    Congragulations On you pregnancy!!!
    now coming to you question...
    • working with dogs does not pose any threat overall. Just that if your dogs have a habit of jumping on you and its a heavy one.. then its a concern... Its time to train the dogs on this...
    • Another concern is about the parasites dogs carry and pass on to family members including pregnant women.. so necesSARY precautions like giving all the vaccinations to the dog, cleaning her properly should be taken care of.
    • you should wash your hands and legs everytime you come in contact with pets and its feces.
    • and after delivery you should be very careful with infants and dogs as infants are more prone to dog bites and infections...
    chk out this link too..
    Healthy environment for your baby and your dog

Last edited by nlakshmi; 3rd Nov 2011 at 09:51 PM.
    Penmai, a_hat and Sangeetha Kumar like this.

nlakshmi is offline Minister's of Penmai
    Blog Entries

Now Working with cats has very high concern...
    • Changing the cat litter will put you in risk for infection called Toxoplasmosis. Among many ways to contract this infection, cats plays the primary role.
    • Pregnant women are advised not to change cat litter. You should seek somebody's help for this.
    • Toxoplasmosis is a mild flu-like symptoms and most adult would not even realise it...
    • Baby is more prone to the infection than mom when contracting during pregnant.
    • If you have had this infection before getting pregnant then you are probably developed the immunity and mostly unlikely to get the infection again.
    • Cats are carriers of the parasite that causes toxoplasmosis. The parasite lives inside of the catís intestines and is passed into their feces.
    • It is more commonly found in cats that are allowed outside that might eat contaminated rats or mice.
    • Changing cat litter may expose you to the parasite that causes toxoplasmosis.
    • It is also found in raw meats or unwashed root vegetables.
    ​How it Affects you Baby:
    • If a woman is infected with toxoplasmosis during her pregnancy, her baby is at risk of being infected as well.
    • About 40 percent of babies of Mothers infected with toxoplasmosis during pregnancy will also be infected.
    • The effects of the toxoplasmosis are mild to the mother but may cause miscarriage, congenital defects, damage to the eyes, brain, or other problems.
    • Many doctors screen women during their first prenatal visit for this infection but it is not always routinely done.
    • If you own a cat and are concerned about having the infection, talk to your health care provider about your concerns.
    You can also check this link for precautions and care for your cat during Pregnancy

Precautions for you and Caring for your Cat

Sangeetha Kumar likes this.