Penmai eMagazine November! | All Issues

User Tag List

Like Tree5Likes
  • 2 Post By nlakshmi
  • 1 Post By maha0302
  • 1 Post By kavithaselvam
  • 1 Post By jayalakshmi.s28

Tests And Scans During Pregnancy

Discussions on "Tests And Scans During Pregnancy" in "I am pregnant" forum.

nlakshmi is offline Minister's of Penmai
    Blog Entries

maha0302 is offline Newbie

Re: Tests And Scans During Pregnancy

Hi,Now am 18th week, recently (06-12-2011) i did my blood test for Estradiol (E2), alphfetoprotein(AFP), Free beta HCG test....

Test result:- Estradiol(E2) --- 8687
    alphfetoprotein(AFP) ---60.60ng/ml
    free beta hCG ----7.97miu/ml
    What it means?Am really worried about the test results.... Can any one explain? whether my baby is fine or any issues??????????

nlakshmi likes this.

Blog Entries

This is what I got it from Net search.

An alpha-fetoprotein (AFP) blood test checks the level of AFP in a pregnant woman's blood. AFP is a substance made in the liver of an unborn baby (fetus). The amount of AFP in the blood of a pregnantwoman can help see whether the baby may have such problems asspina bifida and anencephaly. An AFP test can also be done as part of a screening test to find other chromosomal problems, such as Down syndrome (trisomy 21) or Edwards syndrome (trisomy 18). An AFP test can help find an omphalocele, a congenital problem in which some of the baby's intestines stick out through the belly wall.
    Normally, low levels of AFP can be found in the blood of a pregnant woman. No AFP (or only a very low level) is generally found in the blood of healthy men or healthy, nonpregnant women.
    The level of AFP in the blood is used in amaternal serum triple or quadruple screening test. Generally done between 15 and 20 weeks, these tests check the levels of three or four substances in a pregnant woman's blood. The triple screen checks alpha-fetoprotein (AFP), human chorionic gonadotropin (hCG), and a type of estrogen (unconjugated estriol, or uE3). The quad screen checks these substances and the level of the hormone inhibin A. The levels of these substances-along with a woman's age and other factors-help the doctor estimate the chance that the baby may have certain problems or birth defects.
    Screening tests are used to see what the chance is that your baby has a certain birth defect. If a screening test is positive, it means that your baby is more likely to have that birth defect and your doctor may want you to have a diagnostic test to make sure.

Blog Entries

Hi maha,
    I think you got a results for the blood tests you have done for the second trimester pre-screening tests. I am not sure what the numbers are for the normal or abnormal results. But Do check with your doctor ASAP and get to know what it means.Normally if you blood work is done and results are satisfying, then there wont be any problem.
    But if the doctor finds any abnormalities in your second semester pre screening blood work, then there is a possibilities of some birth defect. but remember its only screening and not diagnostic results.
    You doctor will discuss about the possibilities of the birth defect and refer genetic counsellor if your hospital has one or she just discuss with you by herself. What she tells is she asks for the history of genetic defects in your and your spouse's family, you health issues, your age and compares with the research results that they have for the occurance of the birth defect by your age.
    She also discusses about the choice of amniocentesis to be sure if there is any birth defect or downsyndrome.but Amnio comes with a little risk of miscarriage so its purely your decision to take the test.
    But remember it will only diagonise the birth defect and be sure of whether the baby is having it or not, it wont cure the birth defect when the baby is inside your tummy.
    So its purely for the reason to confirm the birth defect and some parents will opt to abort the baby if it has one, as this is the correct time to do so if they want and also there is a legal time for this to be done. after certain weeks its illegal to do abortion irrespective of reasons.
    Thats being said, the doctor will order NT scan(nucal transculency Ultrasound) where they check the baby's heart,kidney, spinalcord defect, brain,liver limbs,Facial structures(for downsyndrome).
    If everything is normal then despite of the blood results you need not worry at all. You have to do more ultrasound in the coming months just to make sure everything is going well. your doctor or Perinatal diagnostic center in your hospital will let you know if you need followup ultrasounds in the coming months until delivery, i think each month. In the last trimester, you will also get the non-stress test, where they check baby's heartbeat for 30- 45 min.

Remember All these testing is done only if you doctor thinks you have any abnormalities/birthdefect. So dont worry. Check with your doctor and get it done with.

kavithaselvam is offline Newbie

thanks for the useful information akka.

nlakshmi likes this.

Blog Entries

You Are welcome Kavitha

very much help ful posts. thank you lakshmi.

i have a doubt.. when will morning sickness will go.. this is my 5th month, and i am having it till now..

nlakshmi likes this.

Blog Entries

Hi jayalakshmi, usually morning sickness will be there for 3 months.but in some cases it will continue through out the pregnancy until birth. it depends upon the individuals.
    Quote Originally Posted by jayalakshmi.s28 View Post
    very much help ful posts. thank you lakshmi.

i have a doubt.. when will morning sickness will go.. this is my 5th month, and i am having it till now..