Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
Penmai eMagazine November! | All Issues

User Tag List

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Ganga

IUI Questions?

Discussions on "IUI Questions?" in "Infertility & Treatments" forum.

mrs.kannan is offline Newbie

IUI Questions?

My doctor suggested me to do IUI, I have few questions regarding in doing IUI.

How is IUI done?
    Is IUI painful?
    After how many days of IUI, I can take a pregnancy test?
    How much I have to pay for IUI?
    Please guide me.

Similar Threads:

Sponsored Links

Kousalya bala is offline Commander's of Penmai

Re: IUI Questions?

IUI is a relatively simple procedure that takes little time to perform. During IUI, a catheter is passed through the cervix, into the uterus. Contained within the catheter are sperm, which are injected into the uterus. The whole procedure may take only a few minutes.

Although it can cause some discomfort, mainly when the catheter is passed through the cervix, overall IUI is a relatively painless procedure. Some women have likened it to a pap smear in terms of discomfort.

It is a good idea to wait at least a week, if not two, before taking a pregnancy test. Implantation can take anywhere from six to 12 days after ovulation to occur. Therefore it is best to wait two weeks after the procedure before testing (if you can).

It is difficult to say exactly how much one will pay for IUI as the associated costs can vary considerably from fertility clinic to fertility clinic. Additionally, if you are using fertility drugs, then you will also need to pay for these medications as well as ultrasounds and bloodwork. Moreover, using donor sperm can also increase the price.

Ganga is offline Registered User
    Blogger
    Minister's of Penmai
    Blog Entries

How is IUI done?

An IUI -- intrauterine insemination -- is performed by threading a very thin flexible catheter through the cervix and injecting washed sperm directly into the uterus. The whole process doesn't take very long — it usually only requires the insertion of a speculum and then the catheter, a process that maybe takes a couple of minutes (60-90 seconds to introduce the catheter, then sperm injection, and another 60 seconds or so to remove the catheter — going slowly helps reduce discomfort). Sometimes when the cervix is hard to reach a tenaculum is used to hold the cervix, which makes the process a bit more uncomfortable. A typical "Tomcat" catheter is shown below.

IUI Questions?-tomcat.jpg

Source : Fertility Plus

Kousalya bala likes this.
    கங்கா
    விழாமல் இருப்பது பெருமையன்று. விழும் போது எல்லாம் எழுவது தான் பெருமை!!

swapnashyam is offline Newbie

nearly 10 iui's are failure to me. doctor is saying there is no reason, everything is normal.

so much stressed nowadays? what are all the reasons for failure of iui?