User Tag List

Like Tree6Likes
  • 2 Post By jv_66
  • 1 Post By anbupurush
  • 1 Post By gkarti
  • 1 Post By anbupurush
  • 1 Post By gkarti

Mom's Club - 2004

Discussions on "Mom's Club - 2004" in "Kids Zone" forum.

jv_66 is offline Super Moderator Silver Ruler's of Penmai
    Real Name
    Jayanthy

Mom's Club - 2004

Hi Moms of the year 2004,

If your child is born in the year 2004, then this is thread for you

In this thread, you can share all the experiences with your child in these years. Their favorite dishes, favorite dresses, favorite games, special talents if any, favorite subject and whatever you want to share about them.

You can also ask your queries related to their development and if they or you are facing any problems also, for which your fellow moms would be able to reply from their experiences.

You can share about their present interests and also the future.

Altogether, you can also have an healthy chat with the fellow moms, which may be useful for the younger moms.

So, don't hesitate further and we are here to help you.

Similar Threads:

Sponsored Links
    Parasakthi and sumathisrini like this.
    Jayanthy

anbupurush is offline Friends's of Penmai

Re: How do you help your Kid to prepare for the Exams?

Hi,
    I am posting my experience with my daughter from the beginning.
    I am blessed with two kids, elder boy who is in final year Engineering, and younger daughter who is going to VIII coming academic year.

My boy was good in his academics. So I expected the same from my daughter.
    But she had reading and writing disability . But she is good at handworks and memorisation . If I teach her any slokas and poems or tamil cheyyul, she can recite them by just listening once or twice.

I realised that she is having problem with reading and writing during her standard I.
    Her Problems were

1. She use to read who as how and where as there likewise so many words.
    2. Some times forget the word, and she couldn't read the small three letter words, even if she writes 20 to 30 times. And she is confused with spellings.
    3. And Tamil is horrible she couldn't identify the letters( i.e., uyir ezhuthu) even aa.
    4. But she was not bad with numbers.
    5. Lack of concentration, she will read a word from first line and jump to third or fourth line and continue reading.

Somehow she was in II standard, when she was made to write re exam, I felt I have to do something and I took her to the psychology consultant who tested her I.Q and said she is lagging two years back, Though she is going to IIIrd she is capable of doing I std academics. She gave certificate regarding this.

Now the problem came, I searched for the schools which will teach to this kind of students. I also visited an expert who trains the parents to teach the Slow Learners at the cost of Rs.10,000/- But it didn’t work, So it is waste of time and money.

In standard III,her teacher advised me to help my child. As per her advise and I tried to boost my daughter’s self confidence by always telling that she is brilliant and she can do better.

These kids cannot copy from the board as the letters are written in white with black background, They get confused by sudden change of colour as the notebook is in white background and black letters. So I went to school after school hours and borrowed the notes from other kids and will copy for her.

I made small cards and wrote small words ( 3letter and 4 letter word) and showed her in flash and made her to read, This has improved her concentration. These are called flash cards.

Some how by writing re exam she came to std IV. Again her teacher blamed me for not helping my child, she said that I should make my child to read the question and answer again and again as normal kids can memorise by reading two or three times, but these kids should read 10 to 15times.

First, I will read the question and answer twice slowly and giving stress to every word, and I will ask my daughter to follow me, and again make her to read, at first she did not co operate, but once she got confidence, she started co-operating with me. This was very very very hard time for me as it took all my patience. If I get irritated and rise my voice, she will stop reading and keep quiet, she will stubbornly close her mouth and will not utter a word.

Meanwhile I searched in google about this problem. From an article I learned to teach her by writing on white board with different colour sketches. I use to write the tamil cheyyul by using different colour for three La , Na and Ra . She will copy by seeing the colour and when she writes without seeing she remembered the colour and I used the same method for the dots over mei ezhuthu, as she will never use a dot for mei ezhuthu

I bought her the story books which are in big letters and colourful pictures. I will read them with expression. Again I will ask her to read by keeping her finger on each word and following her finger, as she will be in line one and jump to line 3 or 4 the next moment. By following her finger she will read correctly, but she will not co-operate with me, she will read only one paragraph of 4 to 5 line in a day. Again I was so patient, sometimes I loose temper but of no use.

In std IV she gave re exam for tamil and social. This was enormous improvement. So in std V she passed without giving the re exam but she studied only small answers and one words and got through.

In std VI she scored more than 80 in Maths, when I said about her problem to her teacher, again she blamed me, as my daughter is good in maths, the Slow Learning Kids cannot do maths better so I have to take more care of my child. And at that time my daughter was first in maths. This helped my child to have more confidence in herself.

Now while she was in std vii again her teacher said that she is good and she is only lazy , teacher advised her to work hard and she made her to read the small skits in the class and to my surprise my daughter could do without any difficulty this gave her more confidence and she almost studied all the detailed question and attended all the question.

And in tamil she answered all the question in oral during her quarterly but she couldn't write in exam, but as she did well in other subjects and this has increased her self confidence and during final exam she started writing down all the question answer and she had attended detail answer in tamil also. Though there may be mistakes, I hope she will get through this exam with good marks though she may not be topper. Now she tries to read tamil news paper also.

I am really proud of my daughter . This is possible because of her teachers advise and her
    friends mother who has helped me by giving notes to copy. And also they will tell me ,not to worry and she can improve in future. And that has come true. Thanks to all of them who has helped my daughter.

jv_66 likes this.

gkarti is offline Super Moderator Silver Ruler's of Penmai
    Real Name
    Karthiga

Boosting up Confidence within the Kiddo is an Essential Ingredient to Victory.. Cheers Anbu!! We'd understand from your Post that Your State was so tough.. But You did an Aggressive quest in this Regard.. Yup You also Created a setting where your DD find Abundant Interest & Confidence. Kudos! Inspiring.. Assistance/Guidance from Teachers & Friends is appreciable.

Lots of Love & Best Wishes for her Future. BTW Whats your Sweety's Name??

jv_66 likes this.

anbupurush is offline Friends's of Penmai

Quote Originally Posted by gkarti View Post
    Boosting up Confidence within the Kiddo is an Essential Ingredient to Victory.. Cheers Anbu!! We'd understand from your Post that Your State was so tough.. But You did an Aggressive quest in this Regard.. Yup You also Created a setting where your DD find Abundant Interest & Confidence. Kudos! Inspiring.. Assistance/Guidance from Teachers & Friends is appreciable.

Lots of Love & Best Wishes for her Future. BTW Whats your Sweety's Name??
    Thank you very much for your wishes.

And I forgot to mention that during the initial stages, she had to face the teasing of her friends as she couldn't get through the exam. Sometimes she will cry, but I use to cheerup her with all the good things she had done. She was good in practicals. I use show her those works and cheerup.

Her name is Kedhar Varshnee.

jv_66 likes this.

gkarti is offline Super Moderator Silver Ruler's of Penmai
    Real Name
    Karthiga

Good to Know!

Quote Originally Posted by anbupurush View Post
    Her name is Kedhar Varshnee.

jv_66 likes this.

jv_66 is offline Super Moderator Silver Ruler's of Penmai
    Real Name
    Jayanthy

Quote Originally Posted by anbupurush View Post
    Hi,
    I am posting my experience with my daughter from the beginning.
    I am blessed with two kids, elder boy who is in final year Engineering, and younger daughter who is going to VIII coming academic year.

My boy was good in his academics. So I expected the same from my daughter.
    But she had reading and writing disability . But she is good at handworks and memorisation . If I teach her any slokas and poems or tamil cheyyul, she can recite them by just listening once or twice.

I realised that she is having problem with reading and writing during her standard I.
    Her Problems were

1. She use to read who as how and where as there likewise so many words.
    2. Some times forget the word, and she couldn't read the small three letter words, even if she writes 20 to 30 times. And she is confused with spellings.
    3. And Tamil is horrible she couldn't identify the letters( i.e., uyir ezhuthu) even aa.
    4. But she was not bad with numbers.
    5. Lack of concentration, she will read a word from first line and jump to third or fourth line and continue reading.

Somehow she was in II standard, when she was made to write re exam, I felt I have to do something and I took her to the psychology consultant who tested her I.Q and said she is lagging two years back, Though she is going to IIIrd she is capable of doing I std academics. She gave certificate regarding this.

Now the problem came, I searched for the schools which will teach to this kind of students. I also visited an expert who trains the parents to teach the Slow Learners at the cost of Rs.10,000/- But it didn’t work, So it is waste of time and money.

In standard III,her teacher advised me to help my child. As per her advise and I tried to boost my daughter’s self confidence by always telling that she is brilliant and she can do better.

These kids cannot copy from the board as the letters are written in white with black background, They get confused by sudden change of colour as the notebook is in white background and black letters. So I went to school after school hours and borrowed the notes from other kids and will copy for her.

I made small cards and wrote small words ( 3letter and 4 letter word) and showed her in flash and made her to read, This has improved her concentration. These are called flash cards.

Some how by writing re exam she came to std IV. Again her teacher blamed me for not helping my child, she said that I should make my child to read the question and answer again and again as normal kids can memorise by reading two or three times, but these kids should read 10 to 15times.

First, I will read the question and answer twice slowly and giving stress to every word, and I will ask my daughter to follow me, and again make her to read, at first she did not co operate, but once she got confidence, she started co-operating with me. This was very very very hard time for me as it took all my patience. If I get irritated and rise my voice, she will stop reading and keep quiet, she will stubbornly close her mouth and will not utter a word.

Meanwhile I searched in google about this problem. From an article I learned to teach her by writing on white board with different colour sketches. I use to write the tamil cheyyul by using different colour for three La , Na and Ra . She will copy by seeing the colour and when she writes without seeing she remembered the colour and I used the same method for the dots over mei ezhuthu, as she will never use a dot for mei ezhuthu

I bought her the story books which are in big letters and colourful pictures. I will read them with expression. Again I will ask her to read by keeping her finger on each word and following her finger, as she will be in line one and jump to line 3 or 4 the next moment. By following her finger she will read correctly, but she will not co-operate with me, she will read only one paragraph of 4 to 5 line in a day. Again I was so patient, sometimes I loose temper but of no use.

In std IV she gave re exam for tamil and social. This was enormous improvement. So in std V she passed without giving the re exam but she studied only small answers and one words and got through.

In std VI she scored more than 80 in Maths, when I said about her problem to her teacher, again she blamed me, as my daughter is good in maths, the Slow Learning Kids cannot do maths better so I have to take more care of my child. And at that time my daughter was first in maths. This helped my child to have more confidence in herself.

Now while she was in std vii again her teacher said that she is good and she is only lazy , teacher advised her to work hard and she made her to read the small skits in the class and to my surprise my daughter could do without any difficulty this gave her more confidence and she almost studied all the detailed question and attended all the question.

And in tamil she answered all the question in oral during her quarterly but she couldn't write in exam, but as she did well in other subjects and this has increased her self confidence and during final exam she started writing down all the question answer and she had attended detail answer in tamil also. Though there may be mistakes, I hope she will get through this exam with good marks though she may not be topper. Now she tries to read tamil news paper also.

I am really proud of my daughter . This is possible because of her teachers advise and her
    friends mother who has helped me by giving notes to copy. And also they will tell me ,not to worry and she can improve in future. And that has come true. Thanks to all of them who has helped my daughter.

Thanks a lot @anbupurush for letting us know about your absolute dedication and determination to improve your daughter Kedhar Varshini's studying ability.

Remarkable improvement in your daughter after the untiring efforts of a remarkable mother like you.

Hats off to you anbu.

Can you please mention the name of this disability of your daughter? Please don't think otherwise yaar. This is just an information to be passed on to the parents who sail in the same boat.

To my knowledge, I think, this condition is known as DYSLEXIA. Is it the same or anything different?

Jayanthy

nsumitha is offline Citizen's of Penmai

Re: Mom's Club - 2004

thanks. good info.