Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
Penmai eMagazine October! | All Issues

User Tag List

Wearing bangles can help in normal delivery

Discussions on "Wearing bangles can help in normal delivery" in "Labor & Delivery" forum.

vijigermany is offline Supreme Ruler's of Penmai

Baby showers are becoming increasingly popular the world over, but doctors say there is a scientific reason behind the tradition of gifting bangles to pregnant women during baby showers in India: The fetus craves acoustic stimuli.

"Bangles are gifted to women during the baby shower because the tinkle of bangles provides acoustic stimuli for the baby," said Dr Geetha Haripriya, gynecologist and chairperson of Prashanth Hospitals. Studies have shown that cheerful or calming music reduces a pregnant woman's stress and depression and helps the fetus develop the ability to hear. A stressed out pregnant woman is more likely to give birth to a pre-term or underweight baby, gynecologists say.

Doctors who attended the launch of a special programme for pregnant women, 'Thaimai', at Isha Arogya Centre on Sunday said that mental relaxation and physical exercise are more effective than any medicine they could prescribe for moms-to-be.

"I first became pregnant at 33. I was trying to balance family life and career and that left me completely stressed. My daughter weighed just 1.8kg when she was born," said Dr Anjalakshmi, head of SRM Medical College's department of gynaecology and obstetrics. "Three months later I conceived again, but this time I was relaxed. My son was 3.4kg when he was born."

Doctors say constant stress causes havoc because hormones released due to mental strain cause intrauterine growth restriction that decelerates fetal growth.

"Working women have to deal with deadlines and may forget to eat on time. They are also prone to anxiety, which compounds to the problem. The fetus suffers due to inadequate nutrition and the baby will be underweight as a result," said Dr Kalaiselvi, president of the Obstetric and Gynaecological Society of Southern India.

The doctors also focused on the importance of physical activity that relaxes a pregnant woman's pelvic muscles and ligaments to make delivery easier. "Many pregnant women are sedentary. This can create complications during delivery," Dr Kalaiselvi said.