Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
Penmai eMagazine November! | All Issues

User Tag List

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By Kousalya bala
  • 1 Post By nlakshmi

10 Ways to Comfort a Woman Giving Birth

Discussions on "10 Ways to Comfort a Woman Giving Birth" in "Labor & Delivery" forum.

Kousalya bala is offline Commander's of Penmai

10 Ways to Comfort a Woman Giving Birth

During labor many of us feel helpless when it comes to comforting a laboring woman. Knowing a couple of right things to do and say is always helpful, as well as knowing a few tips on what not to do. Here are some ideas, feel free to expand them for your own use in labor and do what works for you!

1. Massage her face to help release stress and relax her.
    2. Remind her to go to the bathroom every hour. A full bladder is not only uncomfortable but can stall labor.
    3. Try cool compresses on her neck and face. Even lightly washing her face can feel good when she's working so hard.
    4. Encourage her to drink fluids and eat to comfort if her care providers will allow it. Eating and drinking will help restore used energy for the marathon of labor.
    5. Help her change positions to encourage the progress of labor. Some positions will provide pain relief, others may feel more painful. Do what works for her.
    6. If her back is hurting do counter pressure with your hands on the small of her back (or wherever she says to do it) as hard as she likes. Doing this in the hands and knees position will also help with the pain.
    7. Be there for her. Even when she may say that she doesn't wish to be touched, being there for her is very important. Just stand near her so that she can feel your presence and verbally encourage her.
    8. Try the shower or tub. Water in labor is very good for pain relief of all sorts.
    9. Use a heat pad, rice sock or warm blanket to her lower back, limbs or perineum (at the end) to help her.
    10. Remind her of why she's doing this: The baby!

Similar Threads:

Sponsored Links
    Last edited by Parasakthi; 28th Oct 2011 at 09:26 AM.
    nlakshmi likes this.

nlakshmi is offline Minister's of Penmai
    Blog Entries

Re: 10 Ways to Comfort a Woman Giving Birth

During labour pregnant women can get irritated more quickly.. even the birth partners constant supporting words can irritate her.. but Birth partner should not give up... They should continue doing whatever he is doing... Comfort her/ crack silly jokes etc... Never stop mentioning "you are doing great, I am Proud of You, Our baby will be coming soon..."

During contraction between the pauses, remind her to take deep breath... She may forget breathing. breathing along with her help her take long deep breaths.
    And While pushing , count the seconds as doctor says and stay positive and utter comforting words.. It will take her "that extra mile" that she may not be able to go after excruciating pain while pushing...

Kousalya bala likes this.

Gloria454 is offline Newbie

To comfort the labour you can use pelvic exercises they will help you to reduce the pain, to control the breathing, if you want read more information here . I used it they really help. Good luck!!!

Last edited by nlakshmi; 20th Feb 2012 at 08:32 PM. Reason: link.

Gloria454 is offline Newbie

Hi, I can say that when I was 4 months pregnant I began to visit yoga classes so there I learnt how to diminish the pain during labour with the help of breathing, it really works, here I took the info I hope it'll help

Last edited by nlakshmi; 22nd Feb 2012 at 10:45 PM. Reason: managing the link