Like Tree13Likes
  • 3 Post By dreamer
  • 2 Post By jash
  • 1 Post By dreamer
  • 3 Post By sathya88
  • 2 Post By jv_66
  • 2 Post By dreamer

Moving to in laws house dilemma

Discussions on "Moving to in laws house dilemma" in "In-Laws" forum.

dreamer is offline Newbie

Moving to in laws house dilemma

First off, my experience on this site as a male has been good so far. I am now posting this because this is why I joined the site in the first place.
    I have been in a relationship with a girl for 3 years and we are considering marriage now. I live in a city different from my hometown while she is from here. Her family is originally from the north east (manipur). They are very strict about their customs as per which the groom needs to move to the girl's house post marriage. Something I am not very comfortable with. Though there is only her mother and younger sister in her house but I still am trying to convince her to live separately.
    Her sister is very cool while I got vibes from her mother because she wanted her to marry a north eastern boy.
    In case I move in with them, how do you rate your experience when you got married? I am not very talkative by nature, how do I communicate such stuff to them?
    Hoping for some positive replies.

Similar Threads:

Sponsored Links
    sumathisrini, jv_66 and jash like this.

jash is offline Penman of Penmai
    Blogger
    Ruler's of Penmai
    Real Name
    saradheya

Re: Moving to in laws house dilemma

hai brother

warm welcome to penmai

wait for some time... our friends will help u...

sumathisrini and dreamer like this.

Thanks for the quick reply
    Quote Originally Posted by jash View Post
    hai brother

warm welcome to penmai

wait for some time... our friends will help u...

sumathisrini likes this.

sathya88 is offline Citizen's of Penmai

hi you can talk to your girl friend regarding this. as you are in relationship with her for 3 years, she can understand you very well. if you don't like to stay in your in-laws house, first tell this to your girl friend. explain her everything about what you think and tell her the reasons. she will understand you. ask her to talk this matter with her mom and try convince her.

for this problem, my personal advice is "live separately". don't live in in-laws house. that won't be good for your married life.

sumathisrini, jv_66 and dreamer like this.

jv_66 is offline Super Moderator Silver Ruler's of Penmai
    Real Name
    Jayanthy

Welcome to Penmai....friend.

It is always better to live separately and not in your in-laws house.

But if your fiance insists about this, and if you are also ready for this, then I can suggest you to look out for a bigger house which you maintain (both financially and physically) and bring in your MIL and SIL to your house.

Now you will have the dominant power and you need not rely on them. This will gain you self respect.

If you do this arrangement, then your parents or any of your relatives also may not hesitate to come , visit and stay in your house.

You can tell this reason to your fiance.

When you ought to live with your in-laws, think your MIL as your own mother and SIL as your own sister.

you need not talk much. Most of the men do not talk much and that too with their in-laws.

So, this will not be a big problem.

Just few smiles both in the morning and evening would do.

If necessary, you can help your wife in taking care of your MIL's health.

Never be intimate with your SIL.

Just a friendly inquiry would do. Give her a brotherly affection when necessary.

All the best.

sumathisrini and dreamer like this.
    Jayanthy

Thanks for your replies. We have talked about this and according to the customs I will have to live with them. Maybe after a year or two we can move out. Girl friend she is okay with everything and so is mil but I still don't get those vibes from the mil. She seems too controlling. Or maybe i am just thinking too much!
    Quote Originally Posted by sathya88 View Post
    hi you can talk to your girl friend regarding this. as you are in relationship with her for 3 years, she can understand you very well. if you don't like to stay in your in-laws house, first tell this to your girl friend. explain her everything about what you think and tell her the reasons. she will understand you. ask her to talk this matter with her mom and try convince her.

for this problem, my personal advice is "live separately". don't live in in-laws house. that won't be good for your married life.

sumathisrini and jv_66 like this.