Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
Penmai eMagazine October! | All Issues

User Tag List

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By vijigermany

‘Breathable’ nail polish a hit with Muslim women

Discussions on "‘Breathable’ nail polish a hit with Muslim women" in "Misc Beauty" forum.

vijigermany is offline Supreme Ruler's of Penmai

For Zaida Saleh, like for many observant Muslim women, manicures have long posed a religious problem.

With prayers five times a day, and a pre-prayer ritual that requires washing the hands and arms, traditional fingernail polish has been mostly off limits because it prevents water from making contact with the nails.

A new "breathable'' nail polish by a Polish company, Inglot, is changing that.

The company and some Muslims say the polish is the first of its kind because it lets air and moisture pass through to the nail. A craze has built up around it with Muslim women in recent months after an Islamic scholar in the United States tested its permeability and published an article saying that, in his view, it complies with Muslim law.

"It's huge,'' said Saleh, 35, who hadn't polished her nails in many years but immediately bought the product in five colours, including a bright pink, a burgundy and a mauve. "I am excited. I feel more feminine — and I just love it.''

Though the Quran does not specifically address the issue of nail polish, some Islamic scholars have said that water must touch the nail's surface for the washing ritual to be done correctly.

Some Muslim women might put nail polish on after finishing the last prayer of the day and then take it off again before dawn prayers. They can also wear it during their periods, when they are excused from the prayers, but some find it embarrassing to do so.

"It was a big headache for me to put it on only for five days, so I didn't wear it for a long time,'' said Saleh, who was born in Sri Lanka but now lives in Anaheim, California, where she is a teacher of preschool and kindergarten children.