Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
Penmai eMagazine December! | All Issues

User Tag List

Tips to Reduce Breastfeeding Pain

Discussions on "Tips to Reduce Breastfeeding Pain" in "Newborn and Infants" forum.

Tips to Reduce Breastfeeding Pain

Hi all.....

My child is now 6 weeks old and i am feeding her breastmilk alone, my breast nipples hurts more while feeding him. I initially had nipple cracks, but now they've healed but i have the pain persists. pls help!

Similar Threads:

Sponsored Links

rameshshan is offline Commander's of Penmai
    Real Name
    Ramesh shanmugam

Re: Tips to Reduce Breastfeeding Pain

Hi Mythily..pls read the following link..i am sure it will help u!

3. How Does The Mother Position The Baby Correctly At The Breast?

Positioning your baby correctly will ensure that she is breastfeeding and not nipple-feeding. This means that the baby should be taking not only the nipple into her mouth, but part of the breast as well.

For effective transfer of milk from the breast to the baby’s mouth, you can choose a sitting or lying down position. The important thing is that you should feel comfortable. If you are sitting, you will find it more comfortable if your back is supported.

Lift your breast with your palm and offer the nipple as well as the breast to the baby. Do not pinch the nipple or the breast or try to push the nipple into the baby’s mouth. Touch the baby’s lips, preferably the upper lip, with your nipple. If the baby opens her mouth a little, do not offer the breast and the nipple. Again touch her lips with your nipple. As soon as she opens her mouth wide and shows interest in feeding,quickly move her on to the breast. Let the baby’s lower lip be well below the nipple. This helps to get the baby’s chin close to the breast so that her tongue is right under the lactiferous sinuses containing milk. Then the nipple is positioned above the centre of the baby’s mouth, so that it points towards the palate. As soon as the nipple touches the palate, the baby starts suckling and when her mouth fills with milk, she swallows it.

To make sure that your baby is positioned properly at the breast, check the following points:

• Your baby’s entire body, including her neck, shoulder and abdomen, should be facing you and close to your body. Her chin should touch the breast.
    • Her mouth should be wide open with her lips curled outwards.
    • More of the areola should be visible above the baby’s upper lip and less below the lower lip. But if the areola is big, more of it may be visible, even if the baby is positioned properly.
    • The baby should be taking slow, deep sucks.
    • After the feed, the baby should appear relaxed and satisfied.
    • You should not feel any nipple pain.
    • You should be able to hear your baby swallow, but this is not essential.

After offering the breast to the baby, keep your other hand free to stroke her hair or play with her fingers. Do not put a finger on the breast near the baby’s nose to prevent any difficulty in breathing; this is unnecessary and may interfere with proper milk transfer to the baby.

Read more at: http://www.penmai.com/forums/new-bor...#ixzz24AwKplzH

"Don't be Serious, be Sincere."!!

Ramesh

Thank you so much for your reply

nlakshmi is offline Minister's of Penmai
    Blog Entries

Hi Mythily,
    The nipple pain/cracked nipples is caused by improper latching....
    the baby is not finding comfortable position.... while latching....
    And also check your milk supply.. If its adequate or not.. The baby sucks vigourously when he is hungry and when the milk supply is not adequate...the baby will keep on sucking until he gets satisfied which will make your nipple sore and dry....
    There is product available in chennai... lanolin cream made by lanisoh.... you can get it in naidu hall baby section or any mommy/baby stores i think... You can use it around your nipples after every feeding.. its ok to feed when you apply it.. My personal experience, i have used it and its did wonders... check with your gynec/pediatrician too before using it....
    or just plain old "nalla ennai" after feeding....

Check because of the cracked nipples, you dint get any infection around your breasts which can also give pain...

or just it will take time to settle down...Hangon....
    Quote Originally Posted by Mythily Rangan View Post
    Hi all.....

My child is now 6 weeks old and i am feeding her breastmilk alone, my breast nipples hurts more while feeding him. I initially had nipple cracks, but now they've healed but i have the pain persists. pls help!