Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
Penmai eMagazine December! | All Issues

User Tag List

Like Tree118Likes

Mummas Page

Discussions on "Mummas Page" in "Newborn and Infants" forum.

sumitra is offline Registered User
    Blogger
    Ruler's of Penmai
    Blog Entries

Re: Mummas Page

Avocado and Roast Pepper Sandwich Spread

For a nutritionally complete and tasty meal for your baby food beginner, slice open an avocado and spoon its creamy flesh straight into your baby's mouth.
    To make it more manageable for baby's very first meal, spoon it into a bowl and mash it with a fork. For a smoother texture still, you can pure it in a food processor. If you are introducing avocado to your baby after the recommended age of 6 months, you shouldn't really need to add anything to thin the consistency. But if you do feel the need to make it a bit thinner, just add a little breast milk or formula as you mash or pure the fruit.

Note that the tannin in avocado can cause it to become a little bitter when cooked. If you wish to include avocado in a cooked dish, add it just before serving.

NOTE: The pit and skin of an avocado can be toxic to pets - so please make sure you dispose of them safely.

Avocado Allergy
    IMPORTANT: Although allergy to avocado is rare, your baby is at an increased risk of experiencing an allergic reaction to avocado if he has a latex allergy.

It seems a strange connection - but avocados contain substances called chitinases.

These substances are associated with the latex/fruit allergy syndrome and they increase in avocados that have been treated with ethylene gas to encourage them to ripen more quickly. Organic avocados that have NOT been treated have a reduced allergenic potential.

If your baby has a latex allergy, you should probably avoid avocado during your baby's first year and discuss the introduction of avocado with your child's doctor.

Ingredients
    Half of a avocado pear
    Half of a red pepper roasted
    1 oz of hummus

Directions
    Combine all ingredients for a tasty sandwich spread that will please not just your discerning little diner... but the rest of the family, too!

Mutton and Butter Bean Curry
    Although this dish has curry flavours, it does not contain any chilli or any other spice that is likely to upset your baby's tummy. It's very tasty, and introduces baby to more interesting, Asian-inspired flavours.

Ingredients
    8 oz of lean mutton diced
    5 oz of butter beans
    1 onion (small)
    1 clove of garlic
    fresh ginger - a small piece, chopped
    a pinch of ground turmeric
    2 tbsp of ghee
    2 fl oz of water

Blend the onion, garlic, ginger and turmeric in a food processor until a paste is formed.
    Heat the oil in a frying pan and add the paste carefully (it may splatter).
    Stir the paste into the oil, lower the heat and cook gently for about 10 minutes. If the mixture becomes dry, add a little water.
    When the paste is cooked, it will be golden brown and sizzling - at this point, add the mutton and fry gently, stirring for several minutes.
    Add the water, cover, then simmer slowly until the meat is almost cooked.
    Add the butter beans and continue cooking until the meat is tender.
    Chop well and serve with white rice.
    Brown Rice
    Tips on how to cook brown rice, and other ideas on how to use brown rice for your baby.

Brown rice is far more nutritious than white. A grain of rice is composed of several different layers, and it is only the outside layer, the hull, that is removed during the production of brown rice, so very little goodness is lost by the grain in the process. It is an excellent source of the trace mineral manganese, and a good source of the minerals selenium and magnesium.

Brown rice is far more nutritious than white. A grain of rice is composed of several different layers, and it is only the outside layer, the hull, that is removed during the production of brown rice, so very little goodness is lost by the grain in the process.

Ingredients
    brown rice

Directions
    The easiest way to prepare brown rice for very young babies is to first rinse it, then grind it in a food processor that's designed for the job.

If your baby is older, try using short grain brown rice in dishes that you cook for him. Because it's fairly soft, it sticks together in clumps and is perfect for creamy dishes like rice pudding.
    Brown rice takes about twice as long to cook as white rice. You can, however, reduce the cooking time by measuring out the amount of water you will need to cook it, then soaking it overnight. This speeds up the cooking time. Remember - don't drain the water you soaked it in, use it to cook the rice instead. This means you don't lose any of its precious nutrients.

Ideas for your baby using brown rice:

Combine cooked brown rice with warm breast milk or formula, then add a little touch of cinnamon or nutmeg.
    Mix cooked brown rice (either ground or regular) with a dollop of unflavoured natural yogurt and a fruit pure of your baby's choice.
    Combine cooked brown rice with steamed vegetables - you can either pure them before mixing, or just chop them if your baby is happy to chew.
    Cook brown rice for your baby in homemade chicken, beef or vegetable stock/broth for a rich, interesting flavour.
    Cook a little batch of short grain brown rice, clump it together with your fingers and serve it to your baby as a very healthy finger food.

Carrots, Broccoli and Cheese

Combining broccoli with creamy mashed potato and cheese is a great way to encourage babies to eat more greens. The relatively strong flavour of the broccoli is toned down by the creamy mashed potato. Broccoli is a true superfood; it is a great source of vitamin C and also contains beta carotene, folic acid, iron and potassium.

Note: Vitamin C is water soluble so it is best to steam broccoli as boiling almost halves its vitamin C content. Boiled broccoli retains only about 35% vitamin C as opposed to 72% when it is steamed or microwaved.
    Ingredients300 g of potatoes, peeled and chopped
    125 g of carrot(s) peeled and sliced
    75 g of broccoli floret(s)
    15 g of unsalted butter
    40 g of grated cheddar cheese
    4 tbsp of milk (your baby\'s usual milk)

Directions
    Method:
    Put the potatoes and carrot into a saucepan, cover with boiling water and cook until tender (about 20 minutes). Meanwhile, steam the broccoli for about 7 minutes until tender. Alternatively add to the potatoes and carrot after about 12 minutes. Drain the potato and carrot and mash together with the broccoli, milk, butter and cheese.

for more recipes please visit mybabyfoodrecipes.com

Sponsored Links

jv_66 is offline Super Moderator Silver Ruler's of Penmai
    Real Name
    Jayanthy

Quote Originally Posted by ashwiniraju View Post
    oh thank q very much........................ still i need more receipes............. bcoz i have tried almost all............ Anyway thanks a lot for ur reply.............

Hi Ashwini,

If your child doesn't like rice and ragi with sambar, curd or milk, you can try to give the following.

You can give idli, dosa , chappathi etc. with sugar and ghee mixed

You can give them along with honey. You can also use jaggery or brown sugar (naatu sarkarai - if it is available there).

You need to give the food, by diverting her attention. Either you can tell some stories, or show her some sceneries like flowers, trees, birds etc., so that her attention would be diverted and will start eating.

Most of the children will not eat very easily. That is why diversion of their attention is necessary at this stage. Later she would hear your stories and start eating.

You can also show some colorful pictures in books and any colorful games and during that time, you can feed the food.

Please do not run behind the child. Either have her on your hip and feed her or make her sit beside you and tell the stories and feed her.

I think the link given by Sumathi will be helpful for you.

Last edited by jv_66; 13th Jun 2013 at 04:53 PM.
    Jayanthy

ashwiniraju is offline Newbie

Thank you jayanthy mam.............. i already use to play rymes in the system............ That helps me to feed food for her............ but i thought i want to make her to show interest on food............... but just now i came to know that most of the babies are avoiding food....... Thank you so much...............

Real Name
    Jayanthy

Thank you jayanthy mam.............. i already use to play rymes in the system............ That helps me to feed food for her............ but i thought i want to make her to show interest on food............... but just now i came to know that most of the babies are avoiding food....... Thank you so much...............

Welcome Ashwini.

Yes, almost all the children , atleast 80% of the children will not show interest in eating, till they start going to school, where they will have hectic time, by studying and playing, hence , they would feel hungry.

Jayanthy

ashwiniraju is offline Newbie

Really im very glad to get replies from u m/s. Sumithra.................. it is so useful for me and ill try one by one............ And thank you so much for spending more time to give the detailed information to me............... im so happy to register with penmai...... My daughter dont have even a teeth.... so ill do based on her choking process..... Till now i didnt give any food to her hand to feed herself.... just now i came to know that she can do..... ill try to give some small pieces of food to her to feed herself...... Thank q once again........

Last edited by ashwiniraju; 19th Jun 2013 at 12:46 PM.

Blogger
    Ruler's of Penmai
    Blog Entries

Really im very glad to get replies from u m/s. Sumithra.................. it is so useful for me and ill try one by one............ And thank you so much for spending more time to give the detailed information to me............... im so happy to register with penmai...... My daughter dont have even a teeth.... so ill do based on her choking process..... Till now i didnt give any food to her hand to feed herself.... just now i came to know that she can do..... ill try to give some small pieces of food to her to feed herself...... Thank q once again........
    Dear Ashwiniraju, you are most welcome. Have a nice time in making your baby eat on her own. thank you

Parasakthi, jv_66 and ashwiniraju like this.

ayisaferose is offline Newbie

hi frnds,
    my baby is now 3 months old................
    when to start solid food or ceralac to her...........

sumathisrini, jv_66 and sumitra like this.

Real Name
    Jayanthy

Quote Originally Posted by ayisaferose View Post
    hi frnds,

Hi Aiysa,

Till 6 months, you cannot give solid foods to your child. The child will not have the power to digest the solid foods. so, only after 6 months, you can start with solid foods. Till then, you can give your milk and many liquid vegetable soups.

For more details, you may go through the below link

Mom!!!!!!!! Please give me healthy foods!!!!!! OK!!!!!!

Jayanthy

sumathisrini is offline Super Moderator Silver Ruler's of Penmai
    Real Name
    Sumathi

Hi Aiysa,

Along with Jayanthy's advise, pl. go through the below 'Penmai' links...

Baby Weaning!

Baby Weaning Advice

jv_66, ayisaferose and sumitra like this.

Blogger
    Ruler's of Penmai
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by ayisaferose View Post
    hi frnds,
    Hi Ayisaferose, up to six months, your baby is to be given only breast milk. After six months, before starting solid food along with breast milk, you have to watch the baby's development. Watch for her desire for food by opening her mouth, drooling and leaning forward, she begins to chew and brings her hands to the mouth, she begins to start handling objects with the palm of her hand. These are certain positive signs to understand that the baby can be given solid food along with the breast milk. In this stage start giving rice cereal. She will eat little only in the beginning. After 6 moths upto 8 months, she will sit upright with support and feeds herself with finger foods, develop ability to pick up foods with a pincer (finger to thumb) grasp. At this stage you can give pureed and textured cooked vegetables and cooked fruits. During her 8 months to 10 months, she will hold her bottle, reaches and grab her food and sits upright without support. At this stage, with the advise from your doctor, you can give soft cooked vegetable, cooked fruits, etc., Always consult your doctor. All the best. thank you!

sumathisrini and ayisaferose like this.