Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
Penmai eMagazine November! | All Issues

User Tag List

Like Tree60Likes

How To Increase Breast Milk Naturally?

Discussions on "How To Increase Breast Milk Naturally?" in "Newborn and Infants" forum.

rajeshwari84 is offline Newbie

How To Increase Breast Milk Naturally?

my baby girl is now 3 months old, for the last two weeks i have poor milk supply to my girl. pls help me .. what are all the foods that i have includes or i have to take any medicines to increase breask milk?

Similar Threads:

Sponsored Links

sumitra is offline Registered User
    Blogger
    Ruler's of Penmai
    Blog Entries

Re: How To Increase Breast Milk Naturally?

Dear Rajeshwari, please read the following and I think your problem may get solved by following these suggestions. If problem still persists please consult your doctor for further advice.

Many women suffer from low supply issues. You don't have to subject your baby to artificial milk and risk the chance of weaning though. There are natural ways to increase your supply.

The first thing any mom experiencing supply problems should so is evaluate her sleeping and eating patterns. Also just being dehydrated can decrease your supply dramatically.

Oftentimes one of these 3 things is what cause mom's to lose their supply or suffer from low supply. It's really hard to get sleep in the post partum period but it is essential to your health and your milk supply.

Your diet is also a very important factor as a breastfeeding mother needs at least 1800 calories a day to nourish herself and her baby. Often time more calories are needed too! Being busy with a new baby again can affect how much you are eating.

You may not even feel hungry but you still need to ensure you are getting enough fats and calories each day.

Some easy ways to increase your supply are;

Oatmeal & barley

Eating oatmeal regularly can increase your supply. Also barley can increase your mil supply as well. Dark bear is also very effective in boosting milk supply.

Breast massage and warm compresses

Massaging the breasts increases circulation and moved blood and lymph. Some mom who have problem with achieving let down can benefit from warm compresses and breast massage. It is also beneficial in all cases for helping mom to relax. Having low supply can really stress a mother out which can in turn effect her supply even further. The compresses can be warm washcloths laid upon the breasts for 5 minutes prior to massage. they should be kept warm. Mom can cover up with a towel or blanket during the process. Next the mom can self massage her breasts before nursing. This will increase relaxation and promote letdown.

Nurse often

This is the best advice for mom's having supply problems. Nothing increases supply more than nursing.

Herbs, Tinctures & Teas

There are many herbs that promote the production of breast milk. These are called galactagogue's. Herbs that promote milk production include; red raspberry leaf, nettles, blessed thistle, fenugreek and alfalfa. There are many mother's milk type teas and tinctures on the the market as well if you don't want to bother with making your own. They are very effective when taken regularly.

Pumping

Pumping can help mom's who are separated from their baby's keep their milk supply up. It can also be used between feedings to increase supply. Nursing is more effective though so if you can nurse, by all means do it! Pumping is not always effective for all mother's.

Using a breastfeeding supplement system

If you find you are forced to supplement your baby with formula a goof thing to try is a breastfeeding supplement system. This let's baby drink formula at the same time as nursing. In extreme situations it still enables the breastfeeding relationship regardless of milk supply. It is a great option for mom's not ready to give up the nursing relationship.

All the best Rajeshwari. thanks

jv_66 is offline Super Moderator Silver Ruler's of Penmai
    Real Name
    Jayanthy

Hi Rajeshwari,

To increase your Breast milk supply, first you should have enough sleep and healthy food.

You may add OAT - MEAL, BARLEY and lots of GARLIC in your food. These food will certainly increase the supply. Crushed Garlic can be boiled in milk and you can drink that.

Moderator's Note: This Article has been published in Penmai eMagazine January 2014. You Can download & Read the magazines HERE.

Last edited by sumathisrini; 30th Apr 2014 at 03:18 PM.
    Jayanthy

thank you sumitra sister and jayanthy sister.

i have a doubt, how to consume oats in diet asusall like boiling with water or any other special procedure is there?

nlakshmi is offline Minister's of Penmai
    Blog Entries

you can pour the boiling water in the oats and let it sit for sometime until its done, or you can put the oats in the boiling water in the stove and cook until its done. you can use as a substitute for rice and use all other sides like sambar, chutney, poriyal along with it. there will a little bit change of taste but not much. It tastes good and go with our sides.You can powder the oats and mix is with rice flour and rava to get oats idly or dosa.. you can make oats pongal, oats upma... etc etc...

If you are a non-veg.. then consume chicken, fish, mutton. it will really help the milk supply in abundance.
    hope it helps...
    Quote Originally Posted by rajeshwari84 View Post
    thank you sumitra sister and jayanthy sister.
    i have a doubt, how to consume oats in diet asusall like boiling with water or any other special procedure is there?

jv_66 is offline Super Moderator Silver Ruler's of Penmai
    Real Name
    Jayanthy

Hi Rajeshwari,

You can take Oats in various forms. Yes, you can boil with water, add little sugar and drink it with milk. You can add salt to taste, add butter - milk or little rasam and eat the koozh (it can be made as solid by adding only little water ).

You can make OATS - UPPUMA, OATS - IDLI, like you are making regular RAVA - UPPUMA and regular idli.

Next with BARLEY, you can cook it in Pressure cooker with very little water, then drain the water, now you can make it as SUNDAL and eat it.

Jayanthy

thank you lakshmi sister for the full detailed reply. let me start with oat meal.

yeah i am non veg, but my mil told that i should not take envy during lactating, so only i just avoided it.

Can i eat envy, no probs means i will include.

Quote Originally Posted by jv_66 View Post
    Hi Rajeshwari,

You can take Oats in various forms. Yes, you can boil with water, add little sugar and drink it with milk. You can add salt to taste, add butter - milk or little rasam and eat the koozh (it can be made as solid by adding only little water ).

You can make OATS - UPPUMA, OATS - IDLI, like you are making regular RAVA - UPPUMA and regular idli.

Next with BARLEY, you can cook it in Pressure cooker with very little water, then drain the water, now you can make it as SUNDAL and eat it.
    Jayanthy sister thankyou again for the recipe of oats and barley. i will try.

i never forget you guys support in my life. i worried a lot since i don't have elder in my home to guide and also i am singapore.. and don't know how to solve the problem, but you people guided me wel..

Thanks a lot again for all sweet hearts who answered my queries.

Renita Ghosh is offline Newbie

Quote Originally Posted by rajeshwari84 View Post
    my baby girl is now 3 months old, for the last two weeks i have poor milk supply to my girl. pls help me .. what are all the foods that i have includes or i have to take any medicines to increase breask milk?
    I am also a fresh mom and have been following this new parenting blog called Humpty Bumpty Kids...very handy! For you I have this one post on breastfeeding, pl check if you can apply this for your baby: Importance Of Breast Feeding | Humpty Bumpty Kids.

sumathisrini and sumitra like this.

Preethi4u is offline Friends's of Penmai

Dear Rajeshwari,

Already Sumitra,Jeyanthy and Lakshmi sisters gave you the best suggestion,here are some more which i want to add to it.
    Drink glass of warm milk or juice or at least warm water before you feed, you can also drink mother's horlicks,it will increase your breast milk supply.
    Eat lots of Garlic, fry them in ghee and have it with rice or as Jeyanthy sister said boil it with milk and have it.
    Include keerai's like Murunga keerai,agathi keerai it really helps. check in little India you might get these leafy veggies there in Singapore.
    try including small fishes to your menu twice a week. If you get Paal sura,eat that.The name itself is Paal sura it increases breastmilk, if you don't get fresh,you can eat the dry fish.
    Drink Mutton,chicken soup. hope this helps.

Enjoy Motherhood

அப்பா
    My Clicks

Preethi's Recipes

END is not the end, In fact E.N.D is "Effort never dies" and if you get NO in answer remember N.O. "Next opportunity" So always stay positive in life