Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
Penmai eMagazine October! | All Issues

User Tag List

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By gayathri ranga
  • 1 Post By sumitra

how to stop breastfeeding for my 2 year old son

Discussions on "how to stop breastfeeding for my 2 year old son" in "Newborn and Infants" forum.

how to stop breastfeeding for my 2 year old son

hi all. i am new to this website. i am a mother of 2 year son, he is still having breastfeeding. my neighbours and friends are saying to stop breastfeeding now itself or else he will take long time to forget. so please help me the ways to stop breastfeeding. my neighbours said that to use neem oil. i tried that that wasnt worked. is there any other ways. pls reply me

Similar Threads:

Sponsored Links
    sumitra likes this.

sumitra is offline Registered User
    Ruler's of Penmai
    Blog Entries

Re: how to stop breastfeeding for my 2 year old son

Dear Gayathri ranga,

I understand your problem. I also faced this problem for my daughter to stop breastfeeding and tried all the methods what you have followed and failed miserably

If you are finding it very hard at the moment, now is the time to stop.

By now your son will have been totally weaned and is getting a lot of fluid from solid food.

Most babies, like yours, will be drinking breast milk until the age of one, but all the nutritional requirements can be obtained from solid food.

If breast or bottle-feeding continues beyond the age of one, it becomes much harder to break the habit later.

Rather than convert to using a bottle, it would be better to encourage the use of a feeding cup although if necessary a little bit of bottle feeding would be okay as an interim measure.

About the change to his routine, he may protest and of course he is obtaining a great deal of emotional comfort from being at your breast.

But you may be feeling tired and he will almost certainly be causing you some discomfort with his new teeth.

Really there are three alternative methods I can suggest:

• Either wean him off the breast by reducing one feed a day, then cutting out a second, third, etc over a period of several days.

• Or you can simply just stop putting him to the breast.

• You already aware of the timings your son usually ask for milk by breastfeeding. At that time you try to be away from your child or try to be with your friends so that he will be feeling shy to ask you to breastfeed.

You may experience a little discomfort if your breasts become temporarily engorged, and your son will certainly protest noisily, but this way the problem is overcome in a few days and then it is all over.

Your son will certainly get used to the bottle eventually, and no child has ever developed dehydration as a result of mum stopping breastfeeding.

As a loving parent sometimes you have to be cruel to be kind.

Or you can talk to him if he is of understanding type regarding the habit to be curtailed beyond her age because he is already grown up boy and grown up boys should only take the milk through cup or bottle by giving examples of elders who are taking the milk or coffee through the cup.
    Children are always like to imitate the elders, if he is in understandable age, this will give good result.

And also the similar thread available in the stop breastfeeding.

All the best. thanks

Parasakthi likes this.