First baby, then push present?

Kim Kardashian will deliver her second child imminently, and for her troubles, she wants a Lorraine Schwartz diamond choker. In a blogpost, 'My Push Present', she expressed her desire for the necklace valued at around $1 million (Rs 6 crore): "After nine months of pregnancy, it's a well-deserved thank you." Few would argue that women don't deserve a thank-you, be it sparkly or spoken. But the phrase "push present" itself has become divisive. For some, it's harmless fun; to others, it suggests unchecked privilege, skewed priorities or disrespect to mothers whose cesarean sections preclude literal pushing. "The name is awful," said Anna-Maria Meister, 38."I do think women deserve something, but it feels patronizing."

Regardless what you think, it's hard to deny that the unfortunate name makes women sound like human slot machines waiting to spit out a jackpot. And, perhaps not coincidentally, the practice seems most popular with the higher rollers. "I've had about 20 or so laboring women, out of a thousand-plus clients, who were given a specifically picked-out gift by their partners for having their baby," said New York-based Judith Elaine Halek. Those with the disposable income may feel more pressure to deliver. "They're a very big thing in LA," said LAbased Justin Lacob, a new father.

Gold has long been a traditional gift for mothers, particularly in Greece and India. "Birthstones have been around for a while," said Karen Bachmann, a jeweller, who said she first noticed the "push present" trend in 1990. Any gift for a new mother should have special meaning. "When she looks at it, it should remind her of the experience, of crossing over into motherhood," said childbirth educator Patricia Rangel, who is curating a list of shopping ideas for her business website.

If it's the thought that counts then maybe it's simply the term that needs revamping. "'Push present' feels vulgar," said Amber Hammond, a 34-year-old mother.A few alternatives: an 'accouchement award' or a 'postpartum surprise'. Or if we're feeling truly generous, we could just call it love and gratitude, in whatever form it arrives and with whatever price tag it does carry .