Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
Penmai eMagazine October! | All Issues

User Tag List

How do I lose post natal weight?

Discussions on "How do I lose post natal weight?" in "Post Pregnancy" forum.

578reshmi is offline Banned Newbie

How do I lose post natal weight?

Have a one-year-old at home. I had put on quite a lot of weight but I was in no hurry to shed it for I was breastfeeding and my mom-in-law and mother asked me not to. Now, I am all set to get back to work and gotta lose weight. I was reading this article on a new kids and parenting blog...sharing it here with all mothers: . Any more suggestions ladies. What was your regimen? Pl share.

Similar Threads:

Sponsored Links
    Last edited by nlakshmi; 18th Dec 2012 at 05:44 PM. Reason: unlink

sumitra is offline Registered User
    Ruler's of Penmai
    Blog Entries

Re: How do I lose post natal weight?

Hi reshmi, I understand your problem. hereunder I reproduce a portion of an article i read which may be pertinent reply to your answer.

The amount of weight lost and how quickly it will be lost will depend on how much weight was gained during pregnancy, how much the mother exercises, her metabolism, and whether or not she is breastfeeding. Recommended safe weight loss for new or nursing mothers is a pound and a half per week, which can be achieved by decreasing calorie consumption by 500 or through an increase in exercise. It can take a minimum of six months to return to pre-pregnancy weight. Benefits of Breastfeeding

Breastfeeding burns an extra 500 to 600 calories per day. According to La Leche League International, studies found that women who breastfeed lost more weight and had slimmer hips than women who used formula. Significant weight loss can diminish the supply of milk, thus health care providers recommend that new mothers wait six weeks postpartum to significantly cut back on portion sizes.
    Implications of Exercise

Women who deliver vaginally may typically start exercising after their first postnatal doctor appointment or three to four weeks postpartum. Cesarean births may begin exercising six to eight weeks postpartum. Practitioners recommend beginning with gentle exercises such as walking, yoga, and or wearing the baby around the house. However, they warn against lifting heavy weights and over-excursion because it may increase bleeding and prevent natural healing from occurring.

Kegel exercises are recommended to tighten the muscles of the abdomen, pelvic floor and vagina. Precautions should be taken with abdominal crunches since separation of the abdomen; known as "diastis recti" is common after having a baby. If the mother's abdomen has a separation of two or more finger- widths she will need to consult with her practitioner.
    Expert Insight

Mayo Clinic recommends that new mothers consume high fiber foods such as fruit, vegetables, whole grains and water to lose weight. These high fiber foods will keep nursing moms satiated longer and provide the nourishment she and her baby needs. BabyCenter's Medical Advisory Board suggests cutting back on saturated fats found in processed baked foods while increasing consumption of polyunsaturated fats found in olive oil, avocado and nuts. The Medical Advisory Board also recommends eating five to six small meals per day to keep energy levels up and the metabolism going to increase weight loss.