Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
Penmai eMagazine November! | All Issues

User Tag List

Like Tree44Likes

Food during lactation

Discussions on "Food during lactation" in "Preggers Health & Nutrition" forum.

rthilag is offline Friends's of Penmai

Food during lactation

Today, I was going through Lakshmi's thread "22379-recipes-easy-healing-good-lactation-after-delivery". Each recipe is complete and highly nutritious. I am a working mom with elder kid and new born.But,I cannot ask my mom /mother in law who are very helpful, to make these nutritious ladoos/sweet dishes . They are in late 50 with their age related health issues. But added and adding most of the ingredients listed in each recipe in a much simpler way.I had these simple recipes before and after pregnancy.Many of you may be aware of the recipes which I am going to list. Still, I am going to post for few people who are unaware of these simple recipes.

Similar Threads:

Sponsored Links
    Last edited by rthilag; 23rd Oct 2012 at 10:03 AM.

Re: Food during lactation

Pearl millet/ bajra/ kambu kanji:
    Millets are highly nutritious, non-glutinous and not acid forming foods. Hence they are soothing and easy to digest. They are considered to be the least allergenic and most digestible grains available. Compared to rice, especially polished rice, millets release lesser percentage of glucose . Millets are particularly high in minerals like iron, magnesium, phosphorous and potassium.Pearl millet is tastier than finger millet/ragi
    Kanji preparation:
    Dry roast the millet in low flame for few minutes. Allow it to cool and grind it coarsely. Store the powder in air tight container.

Boil 4 tablespoons of powder in 400 ml of water with salt. Cook it under medium flame. this shall take 15-20 minutes to cook.Once cooked, allow it to cool .
    Serving methods:

1. Add curd and water once the kanji is warm/cold.
    2. Mix butter milk once the kanji is warm/cold.
    3. Semi Solid: Add cooked rice and curd.

This Article has been published in Penmai eMagazine Feb 2014. You Can download & Read the magazines HERE.

Last edited by sumathisrini; 21st Mar 2014 at 03:51 PM.

Finger Millet/ Ragi Dosai with karupatti( palm sugar) :

Finger Millet: rich in iron, calcium,magnesium, phosphorous and potassium.
    Karupatti : rich in iron and calcium

In Villages, elders mix ragi kuzh, karupatti and cooked rice for new mothers. Ragi is 10 times rich in calcium compared to wheat.

Preparation:
    Ratio of karupatti to Ragi powder is 3:1. Break the karupatti into pieces with the help of heavy object. Now, grind the karupatti into powder. Mix the karupatti powder , store bought ragi powder and little amount of dry ginger powder.Store this powder in air tight container.

Dosai:
    Mix the 3 cups of powder with 1 cup of regular dosai batter . Now ,batter is ready to make ragi sweet dosai.

This Article has been published in Penmai eMagazine Feb 2014. You Can download & Read the magazines HERE.

Last edited by sumathisrini; 21st Mar 2014 at 03:52 PM.
    Parasakthi and sumathisrini like this.

Oats, Bottle gourd (surai kai) and chicken kuzhambu are considered to increase the secretion of milk. Chicken kuzhambu needs to be prepared like soup with good amount of dhania powder .

Oats Porridge with karupatti/palm sugar:

Milk: 200 ml
    Oats: 2 tablespoon
    Karupatti: as per taste
    Break the karupatti into pieces. Cook the oats with milk and karupatti pieces. Instead of karupatti, palm sugar can also be added. This is one way of adding karupatti which is rich in iron and calcium.

Last edited by sumathisrini; 21st Mar 2014 at 03:52 PM.

I avoid vegetables like cauliflower and brinjal which contain higher amount of pesticide.

Parasakthi and shenbagam.k like this.

sindhiya.ks is offline Newbie

hi rthilag ka.. very very thanks for the recipes. i am new mom my baby is now 1.5 months old.. sure your recipes will help in inducing lactation.

Thanks a lott..

Last edited by sindhiya.ks; 23rd Oct 2012 at 02:22 PM.

Hi Sindhya,
    Congrats. My baby is 3 months old.

Parasakthi likes this.

Simple Millet Dosai:
    Millets are very important for mothers health as millets are rich in iron and calcium.Even ,cows with new born calf are fed with finger millet kanji with karupatti in villages. I don't have time to prepare the millet dosai in authentic way . My method is to mix the store bought finger millet(ragi) / pearl millet(kambu) / sorghum ( jowar or vellai chollam) powder with regular dosai batter.

Finger Millet / Pearl millet / Sorghum powder : 4 cups
    Regular Dosai Batter : 1 cup
    Big Onion : 1 cut into small pieces
    Chilli : one ( eat less spicy)
    Salt : as per taste
    Coriander leaves : as per taste
    Water : as per dosai consistency.

1. If the powder is store bought, dry roast the powder to get rid of raw smell.
    2. Mix any one of the powder with dosai batter. Grind the mixture with salt and required amount of water in mixie for a minute. This step will remove the lumps .
    3. Transfer the batter to utensil . Now add onion, green chilli and coriander leaves.
    4. The batter is ready for making dosai.

Carrot milkshake and avocado juice in www.penmai.com/forums/health-kids-food/37598-workaholic-mom.html are good source iron, calcium and vitamins. I regularly drink carrot milkshake or avocado juice in late morning and ragi/kambu kanji in the evening.