Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
Penmai eMagazine October! | All Issues

User Tag List

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By shenbagam.k
  • 1 Post By sumathisrini

healthy snacks for pregnant women

Discussions on "healthy snacks for pregnant women" in "Preggers Health & Nutrition" forum.

shenbagam.k is offline Newbie

healthy snacks for pregnant women

suggest me some healthy snacks that i can have during pregnancy. this is my 1st pregnancy so have lot of doubts. pls bare with my doubts .

Similar Threads:

Sponsored Links
    vaishnav likes this.

sumathisrini is offline Super Moderator Silver Ruler's of Penmai
    Real Name

Re: healthy snacks for pregnant women

Dear Shenbagam!

My hearty congrats for yr pregnancy. It's our pleasure to give suggestion & ideas whatever we know. I hv listed some healthy snacks below, pl. go through it.

Nuts are great for flagging energy levels. Nibble on cashews (kaju) for iron or almonds (badam) for calcium.

Seeds. Pumpkin, muskmelon and sunflower seeds provide protein and zinc. For added flavour, you can dry roast nuts and seeds (in the oven or in a dry pan). Or occasionally shallow fry them in about a 1 tsp of ghee or oil with a light sprinkling of salt, black pepper or chaat masala.

Fresh fruit. Rich in fibre and nutrients, you should have five servings of fruit in a day. Citrus fruit have vitamin C, which helps your body to absorb iron from food. You can have whole fruits like apples, pears, banana, mangoes, grapes, oranges any time of the day.

Dried fruit
    such as figs and apricots will provide iron, fibre and calcium. Raisins, dried Indian gooseberry (amla), dried guava and dried mango are great for a quick energy boost.

Fortified breakfast cereals.These can be a good source of vitamins and minerals with a huge variety to choose from. Whether you like muesli, oats or just plain cornflakes, a small bowl can stave off hunger pangs. Just keep some milk in your fridge and serve yourself a bowl whenever you feel like.

Breads. Fruit buns, bread rolls, croissants are easy choices and can be made healthy depending on the toppings or fillings you choose. Whole wheat bread sticks, soup sticks, cheese straws, savoury crackers, digestive biscuits are also popular snacks.

Yoghurt and cheeses are excellent sources of calcium. Packaged yoghurt comes in several flavours (fruit, sweet, salted and spiced). Always look for the date of expiry and make sure that the packaging isn't damaged.

Other snack tips?

You can have sundal also (made in by Peas, moong dal, ground nut).

Don't buy junk food at the grocery store -- if it's in the house, you're gonna reach for it when you're hungry.

Think small -- if you really need something sweet, skip the full-size version of a candy bar and go for the mini or a small handful of chocolate chips.

Drink lots of water -- keeps you hydrated and gives you a "full" feeling.

I am wishing you for happy pregnancy journey .

Last edited by sumathisrini; 26th Nov 2012 at 01:06 PM.
    jv_66 likes this.

vaishnav is offline Commander's of Penmai
    Real Name

Re: healthy snacks for pregnant women

Hai Shenbagam,

congratulations from my side also.....here r some healthy snacks for people like u...

• Low-fat yogurt -- filling and tasty.
    • Nuts (a better choice than chips if you're craving something salty.)
    • Fruit, fruit, fruit! Naked, dipped in yogurt, or fruit salad.
    • Granola
    • Crunchy carrots, celery, and apple slices -- keep 'em sliced and ready to go on the most easily-reachable shelf in your fridge.
    • Cheese
    • Whole-grain crackers
    • Veggies with hummus
    • "Sandwiches" with ham, turkey, or veggies stacked between two lettuce leaves instead of two slices of bread (if you're trying to watch your carbs.)
    • Sliced apples with a little peanut butter for protein
    • Whole wheat toast with a little PB
    • Applesauce
    • Trail mix
    • Stacked turkey and avocados
    • Homemade fruit smoothies (keep bananas in the freezer, then take them out and thaw enough to peel. Slice, add other fruit is you like, add a little sugar or fruit juice, toss in some ice, and blend.