Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
Penmai eMagazine March! | All Issues

User Tag List

Like Tree10Likes

food chart for indian pregnant women

Discussions on "food chart for indian pregnant women" in "Preggers Health & Nutrition" forum.

meswetha is offline Newbie

food chart for indian pregnant women

hi can you please tel me daily food chart for pregnant ladies. i am now 4 month pregant. what to eat at this time

Similar Threads:

Sponsored Links
    sumitra likes this.

sumitra is offline Registered User
    Blogger
    Ruler's of Penmai
    Blog Entries

Re: food chart for indian pregnant women

Eating well: 13-16 weeks

How can I get enough vitamins for a healthy pregnancy?

You can get plenty of vitamins from fresh fruits and vegetables. Try to eat five portions of a variety of fruits and vegetables every day. Eat raw vegetables or steam them instead of boiling them. This will help you to make the most of the vitamins vegetables contain.

If you are worried about your diet, speak to your doctor about taking a pregnancy multivitamin. But remember that no supplement can be a good enough substitute for healthy food.

Read more: Eating well: 13-16 weeks

Read more: Eating well: 13-16 weeks

How can I get enough vitamins for a healthy pregnancy?

You can get plenty of vitamins from fresh fruits and vegetables. Try to eat five portions of a variety of fruits and vegetables every day. Eat raw vegetables or steam them instead of boiling them. This will help you to make the most of the vitamins vegetables contain.

If you are worried about your diet, speak to your doctor about taking a pregnancy multivitamin. But remember that no supplement can be a good enough substitute for healthy food.

Why is iron important during pregnancy?

You need plenty of iron every day during pregnancy because it helps you to make red blood cells for your growing baby. You can also become anaemic if you don't have enough iron. Try to have plenty of foods rich in iron, such as lean red meat, poultry and fish. Your body can absorb iron most effectively from non-vegetarian sources.

You can also get iron from vegetarian sources such as lentils, pulses, spinach (paalak), and iron-fortified breakfast cereals. But your body can’t take in as much iron from these foods. If you include a source of vitamin C at the same time, such as glass of orange juice or nimbu pani, this will help your body to better absorb the iron.

Cooking in iron utensils can also contribute to improving the iron content of the food.

Black tea and coffee can interfere with the absorption of iron, so it's best not to have these drinks with or soon after your meals.

How can I have a healthy vegetarian diet during pregnancy?

If you are vegetarian, you should take extra care to ensure you have plenty of iron and calcium. Good sources of iron for vegetarians include fortified breakfast cereals, tofu, wholegrain bread, dark green leafy vegetables, nuts, pulses, soya and soya products and dried fruits such as raisins, dates and figs.

You can get calcium from dairy products, chickpeas (chana), kidney beans (rajma) and baked beans, sesame seeds (til), almonds (badaam) and fortified soya products.

Healthy snacks and drinks during pregnancy

These drinks are packed with vitamins and minerals that you need for a healthy pregnancy:
    • fresh sapota (chikoo) or mango smoothie
    • freshly squeezed pomegranate (anaar) juice
    • lassi

Check out our healthy and alcohol-free drink options for more ideas.
    Here are some nourishing and tasty snacks for you to try:
    • porridge made from different cereals such as finger millet (ragi), oats (jai) or cracked wheat (dalia)
    • dhokla
    • wheat noodles with vegetables
    • rice pancake (appam)

Last edited by Parasakthi; 28th Nov 2012 at 04:20 PM. Reason: External Link Removed
    Parasakthi likes this.

Blogger
    Ruler's of Penmai
    Blog Entries

Eating well: 17-20 weeks

How much weight should I gain during pregnancy?

It's best to gain weight gradually. You'll probably put on between 10kg and 12.5kg during your whole pregnancy.

Bear in mind that weight gain during pregnancy varies among women. So it is best to concentrate on eating healthily. A well balanced diet includes plenty of carbohydrates, fruits and vegetables, protein, and dairy foods. And just a little in the way of healthy fats and jaggery, honey and brown sugar.

You may not have put on much weight during the first trimester, but your weight should steadily increase during the second trimester as your baby grows.

Why do I need omega 3 fatty acids, now that I'm pregnant?

Omega 3 fatty acids are important in pregnancy for your baby's brain and eye development. Oily fish such as mackerel (bangda) and herring (bhing) and sardines (pedvey machli) are good sources.

When choosing oily fish, bear in mind that they may contain some environmental pollutants, such as PCBs (polychlorinated biphenyls) and dioxins. So it's best that you don't have more than two portions a week. Also, try and have the smaller sized fish as opposed to the large fish that tend to accumulate more mercury.

If you're a vegetarian, you can get omega 3 fatty acids from foods such as:
    • tofu
    • soya beans
    • walnuts (akhrot)
    • leafy green vegetables
    • eggs
    • milk
    • sesame seeds (til)

You could try a supplement derived from algae or a fish oil supplement especially formulated for pregnant women. However, it is safest to speak to your doctor before taking any supplement.

Why do I need to focus on my iodine intake during pregnancy?

By around week 14, your baby's thyroid gland starts to function and begins to make its own hormones. The thyroid gland needs iodine to work properly.

Seafood such as fish, shellfish and seaweed are the richest sources of iodine. If you eat fish, cook some of these at least twice a week:
    • haddock
    • mackerel (bangda)
    • prawns (jhingra)
    • salmon (raawas)
    • sardines (pedvey)

The best natural sources of iodine are cereals, pulses and fresh foods. Other sources of iodine include:
    • iodised salt
    • dairy products such as cheese, paneer, butter and curd/yoghurt
    • vegetables like mushrooms (khumbi), onions and spinach (paalak)
    • meat
    • eggs

Choose from these delicious drinks:
    • rasam
    • black plum (kala jamun) smoothie
    • apple and date smoothie

Try these great snack ideas:
    • whole wheat pasta and vegetable salad
    • homemade fruit yogurt
    • uttapam
    • jowar methi dhebra
    • corn chaat
    • paneer tikka
    • soya kababs

Last edited by nlakshmi; 28th Nov 2012 at 04:55 PM. Reason: unlinking
    Parasakthi likes this.

Blogger
    Ruler's of Penmai
    Blog Entries

EATING WELL : 21 TO 24 weeks

How can I ease constipation during pregnancy?

You can ease constipation by eating plenty of high-fibre foods such as:
    • oats (jai) and cracked wheat (dalia)
    • wholegrain bread
    • whole wheat rotis
    • dried fruit and nuts
    • fresh fruits and vegetables

It is important to drink lots of water with a fibre-rich diet. Fibre absorbs water and not having enough water may worsen the constipation. Some mums relieve constipation by using natural remedies such as eating figs (anjeer) and psyllium seeds (isabgol).

Is vitamin A important during pregnancy?

You need vitamin A during pregnancy both for your sake and your baby’s. Vitamin A is essential for night vision, cell growth, healthy skin and red blood cell production. Vitamin A exists in our food in two forms: retinol and beta carotene. Both forms are good for your health and your developing baby’s.

Retinol is present in egg yolk, butter, margarine and milk, all of which are good to eat during pregnancy. Liver products have retinol as well but in too high doses. So it is better not to eat liver or liver products during pregnancy.

Good sources of betacarotene are:
    • carrots (gajar)
    • sweet potatoes (shakarkandi)
    • papaya (choose ripe ones)
    • oranges (santra/narangi)
    • green vegetables, especially broccoli (hari gobhi) and spinach (paalak)

Why is cholesterol important for my pregnancy?

Cholesterol is vital for keeping your placenta healthy. Some experts say that low levels of cholesterol may lead to premature labour. This could result in a low birth weight baby.

If you have a blood test at this stage of your pregnancy, it might show your cholesterol levels are higher than usual. A slight increase from normal levels is usually nothing to worry about. Your cholesterol level increases slightly during this stage because it is needed in the production of many hormones.
    Unless your doctor advises otherwise, don’t try to change your cholesterol levels during pregnancy by medication or by eating foods that claim to reduce it.

Here are some flavoursome drinks for you to choose from:
    • beetroot (chukandar) and carrot (gajar) juice
    • fig (anjeer) and apricot (zardaloo/khoobani) shake
    • watermelon (turbooj) juice

These snacks may help to ease constipation during pregnancy:
    • steamed sprout salad
    • curd rice
    • soya granule tikki
    • stuffed millet (bajra) rotis

Last edited by nlakshmi; 28th Nov 2012 at 04:56 PM. Reason: unlink
    Parasakthi likes this.

Blogger
    Ruler's of Penmai
    Blog Entries

Eating well: 25-28 weeks

How much fluid do I need during pregnancy?

You should be drinking at least eight glasses of fluid every day, which is at least 1.5 litres.

Try to make sure that water forms the main part of your daily fluid intake. Water keeps you hydrated and is important during pregnancy as it helps carry nutrients through your blood to your baby.

Drinking water also helps prevent urinary tract infections (UTI), constipation and piles, all common during pregnancy. If you are suffering from water retention, remember that the more water you drink, the less water your body will retain.

How can I get plenty of calcium and vitamin D for a healthy pregnancy?

Calcium and vitamin D are key nutrients in pregnancy. Calcium helps your baby to grow strong bones and teeth. It also helps to develop a healthy nervous system, heart, and muscles. Vitamin D helps your body to absorb calcium. Vitamin D is made naturally in our bodies by exposure to sunlight. Just half an hour a day in the early morning sun is enough to get all the vitamin D you need.

You can get calcium from:
    • dairy products
    • green vegetables such as spinach (paalak) and green beans (faras been)
    • pulses like soya bean and kidney beans (rajma)
    • sesame (til) seeds
    • almonds (badaam)

You can also get vitamin D from foods such as oily fish, eggs and milk. If you do not have enough vitamin D, your doctor will prescribe a daily supplement.

How can I get the maximum nutrition from my food during pregnancy?

If you are eating a varied diet, make sure you don't undo your hard work. For example, drinking tea or coffee at mealtimes can reduce the amount of iron your body can absorb from the food you eat. This is because these drinks contain tannins, which interfere with mineral absorption. If you want a cup of tea or coffee, wait at least 30 minutes after your meal.

Eating a large amount of wholegrain foods (brown rice, wheat bran, wheat germ, multi grain bread and flour) is good for most people. However, excess helpings can reduce the amount of calcium, iron and zinc your body can absorb.Take care while preparing your food. To make the most of it, keep the following in mind:
    • steaming your food in a pressure cooker or steamer helps to retain its vital nutrients
    • overcooking vegetables will make them limp and less nutritious
    • try to eat freshly prepared meals. Food loses nutrients every time you reheat it.

Some refreshing drinks:
    • thandai
    • buttermilk (chaach)
    • date (khajoor) and banana shake

Snacks to please your taste buds:
    • baked aloo tikki
    • wheat masala dosa
    • murukku or chivda
    • steamed vegetarian or non-vegetarian momos

Last edited by nlakshmi; 28th Nov 2012 at 04:56 PM. Reason: unlink
    Parasakthi likes this.

Blogger
    Ruler's of Penmai
    Blog Entries

Eating well: 29-32 weeks

Do I need to eat more in my last trimester?

Now that you're in your last trimester, your energy requirement increases as your baby's growth speeds up.

This means you will need to start having an extra 200 to 350 calories a day, depending on your weight. But it doesn't mean you can eat for two! 350 calories is equal to about:
    • two rotis with a katori of sabzi
    • two idlis with a small bowl of sambar

Is it fine if I skip meals during pregnancy?

No, it isn't. Don't miss any meals as you and your baby need to eat well for a regular supply of energy. And being on an empty stomach for too long may cause acidity and heartburn.

What can I eat when I'm feeling hot during pregnancy?

During pregnancy your metabolic rate increases by around 20 per cent. This means that, even when you're resting, your body will feel much hotter than usual. This may make you more uncomfortable than usual during the hot summer months. If the weather is hot and humid, you might feel exhausted because of all the fluids and salts you sweat out.

Make sure you drink more water to replace all the fluids you are losing through sweat. Have as much coconut water, lassi, fresh lime water (nimbu pani), and aam panna as you can handle. Try our healthy and alcohol-free drink ideas if you are looking for more options. Remember to drink water before leaving the house and always carry boiled or adequately treated water with you.

If the heat affects your appetite, try to eat little but often. Here are some options you could try:
    • A cooling side-dish to accompany your main course such as a raita, pineapple and cottage cheese salad or freshly cut cucumber salads.
    • Making a meal of a cooling dish like curd-rice with cucumber or cold pasta salad.
    • Having freshly cut fruit from the fridge in between meals. Juicy fruits like watermelon (tarbooj), pomegranate (anaar) or cantaloupe melon (kharbooja) are ideal, as they are easy to digest and are packed with minerals.
    • Snacking on fruit yoghurts or fruit chaat.
    • Fresh mint leaves are refreshing and can be added to fruit salads, nimbu pani, aam panna, chutneys, biryanis or even just a glass of chilled milk.

Take your pick from these excellent thirst quenchers:
    • almond (badaam) milk
    • grape (angoor) sherbet
    • apple and carrot juice

Satisfy your hunger pangs with these yummy snacks:
    • bajra methi khakhras
    • baked spinach (paalak) and cheese rolls
    • appam with fresh coconut chutney
    • stir fried chicken or vegetables

Last edited by nlakshmi; 28th Nov 2012 at 04:57 PM. Reason: unlink
    Parasakthi likes this.

Blogger
    Ruler's of Penmai
    Blog Entries

Eating well: 33-36 weeks

What can I do about acidity and indigestion during pregnancy?

Many pregnant women experience acidity or heartburn and indigestion. This happens because of the hormonal and physical changes happening in your body during pregnancy.

If you are suffering, try to cut out :
    • rich, fatty and spicy foods
    • chocolate
    • citrus fruits
    • coffee

Have small, frequent meals, and take your time over your meals. Eat slowly, have small mouthfuls and chew your food well. To ease bloating, sit up straight while you're eating, and don't lie down for at least two and a half hours after a meal.

Do I need to take vitamin K during pregnancy?

It may be helpful to have vitamin K now and during the first weeks with your baby, particularly if you are breastfeeding. The first breastfeeds of colostrum are rich in vitamin K.

All babies are given vitamin K when they are born to help their blood to clot. This is because babies can bruise and bleed easily if they are born with low levels of vitamin K. Check with your doctor for more details.

You can make sure you get plenty of vitamin K from foods such as:
    • green leafy vegetables like spinach (paalak), fenugreek (methi), lamb's quarters (bathua) and mustard greens (sarson)
    • cantaloupe melon (kharbooja)
    • cauliflower (gobhi)
    • green beans (faras bean)
    • wholemeal bread

Can I go on a diet during pregnancy?

No, it isn't safe to go on a diet when you are pregnant. Dieting could be harmful for both you and your unborn baby. Some diets can leave you low on iron, folic acid and other important vitamins and minerals.

Instead of thinking about a diet, use these nine months to develop good eating habits. This will carry you through the rest of your life and help you lose your post pregnancy weight safely.

A varied diet, rich in fruit and vegetables, will also help to further develop your baby's immune system.

Make one of these brilliant drinks for yourself:
    • fruit punch
    • alcohol-free vegetable mocktail
    • tomato and mint juice

Treat yourself to one of these healthy snacks:
    • baked sabudaana vadai
    • apple kheer
    • cabbage (patta gobhi) and moong dal salad
    • popcorn

Last edited by nlakshmi; 28th Nov 2012 at 04:58 PM. Reason: unlink
    Parasakthi likes this.

Blogger
    Ruler's of Penmai
    Blog Entries

Eating well: 37-40 weeks

How can I eat healthily in the first week or two with my baby?

Once you and your baby come home you may have much less time to get anything done, let alone cook. Eating well is even more important now. This is because your body needs nutrients to recover and provide breastmilk for your baby. Having a steady supply of healthy meals will give you one less thing to worry about.

New mums who live in joint families or move to their parents' house for the delivery of their child are more likely to follow traditional confinement practices. Different communities have different customs, but generally, the new mother is supposed to rest and do a minimum of house work. Family members usually cook special traditional foods during confinement and most new mums find this period of pampering a welcome relief.

If confinement is not for you, then it's best to get your kitchen duties organised before your baby comes home. Family members and friends who are keen to help can take turns to cook for you till you've recovered. Or you may prefer to hire a cook or a maid till you feel ready to prepare meals yourself.

Some new mums prefer to freeze batches of food and use them for the first couple of weeks after their baby arrives. This way there's always something homemade and healthy to defrost or heat up without the worry of cooking from scratch. But, be cautious about freezing food if there are frequent power cuts in your area. Some also choose to order food from reputed restaurants, caterers or a tiffin service. So explore all options before your baby's birth.

Are there any foods that can bring on labour?

If your pregnancy goes beyond 40 weeks, it is considered overdue. You'll usually be offered an induction during or after 40 weeks. So, if your induction date is looming, there are things you can try to hurry up the waiting game. Although we can't guarantee that any of them work!

You could try eating a spicy curry to bring on labour. But bear in mind that spicy foods can cause heartburn and acidity. And if you're not used to spicy food it may irritate your bowel, leaving you with an upset stomach.

Fresh pineapple is another option. It contains the enzyme bromelain which is thought to help soften the cervix. One pineapple contains very small amounts though, so you would have to eat at least seven for it to have any effect!

What kind of food should I be eating and taking to the hospital?

With your baby's birth fast approaching, try to organise snacks and drinks to take into the hospital. For some women, eating is the last thing on their mind. But for others, particularly those who have a long first stage, a snack may be essential.

Try these suggestions:
    • If you feel like it, have a light meal during the early stages of labour before you go into hospital.
    • Take some easy-to-digest snacks in case you do feel hungry in the early stages. Plain biscuits, rusks, nuts and raisins are ideal.
    • Check in advance what the hospital canteen has to offer. If the food on their menu does not seem interesting, you could enlist the help of some relatives to organise snacks or a packed meal for your husband or birth partner.

If you become over-tired during the birth, the hospital may provide a fluid drip to give you energy.
    However, do check with your doctor and hospital if you can bring your own snacks and drinks. Some hospitals have a policy where only snacks and drinks from the hospital canteen are allowed.

Healthy snacks and drinks at 37-40 weeks

Drinks you may like to try:
    • fresh fruit juice
    • mango smoothies
    • tomato apple juice

Snacks to cater to your cravings:
    • baked banana chips
    • vegetable thepla
    • chicken tikka
    • Indian gooseberry and carrot juice (amla and gajar juice) and beetroot salad

Last edited by nlakshmi; 28th Nov 2012 at 04:59 PM.
    Parasakthi likes this.

Blogger
    Ruler's of Penmai
    Blog Entries

Eating well: 40 weeks and after delivery

Can I eat and drink during labour?

Yes. You can eat and drink during early labour as long as you:
    • haven't been given a pain killer such as pethidine.
    • You can eat so long as you don't have any complications that might make you need a general anaesthetic

Eat what you feel like eating, within reason! Carbohydrates are better than most foods for labour. This is because they release energy slowly to help you through contractions. Here are some suggestions:
    • baked potatoes
    • toast
    • bananas
    • dried fruit

To quench your thirst, you could try lemon honey water, coconut water or fresh fruit juice. Read more about eating and drinking during labour.

Should I eat differently when I start breastfeeding my baby?

You can eat anything you like as long as it is in moderation. Research has shown that a breastfeeding mother requires anywhere between 300 and 500 extra calories a day. Your body will get some energy from fat stored in your body during pregnancy as well.

However, it is important to eat healthily when you are breastfeeding. It'll help you to lose any extra weight you may have added during pregnancy and give you the much needed energy.

Try to include these foods in your diet:
    • vegetables
    • nuts
    • fruit
    • fish
    • poultry
    • whole grains
    • toned or double toned milk

You can get very thirsty when your body is making breastmilk. So drink plenty of fluids to stay hydrated.

Elders may insist you have traditional foods and drinks, specifically made for lactating mothers such as panjiri or dry fruit laddoos to enrich the quality of breastmilk.
    It may be difficult to refuse these during the first 40 days after your baby's birth. So if you can, eat these calorie rich foods in small quantities and include wholesome fruits and vegetables in your diet. Also try including drumsticks, roasted cumin (jeera) seeds and brinjal (baingan) in your diet. These are traditionally believed to help with low milk supply.

If you are formula-feeding you may not need as many calories. Still, it is important that you eat a varied diet. This will help you recover from birth and cope with your new role.

Are there any foods that will help me recover from birth?

Traditionally new mums are given "heating foods" to speed up recovery after birth. These foods are believed to be packed with vitamins and minerals that help build your strength and keep your energy levels up. Some of these foods are high in calories as they have a generous helping of ghee and sugar. And although you do need the extra calories, overeating may result in unwanted weight gain.

It's best to stick to small portions to enjoy these traditional delicacies. You could also use nutrient rich ingredients to make healthier foods after your delivery. For example, drink carom seed (ajwain) water instead of eating ajwain paranthas with ghee. This way you'll get the benefits of ajwain without the extra calories.

Suggestions for healthy drinks:
    • fresh ginger lemonade
    • saffron or cashew (kaju) milk
    • coconut water

Try these tasty treats for some much needed energy:
    • roasted channa chaat
    • grilled mushrooms
    • baked samosa
    • soya nugget salad

Last edited by nlakshmi; 28th Nov 2012 at 04:58 PM. Reason: unlink
    Parasakthi likes this.

Parasakthi is offline Super Moderator Ruler's of Penmai
    Real Name
    Parasakthi KS
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by meswetha View Post
    hi can you please tel me daily food chart for pregnant ladies. i am now 4 month pregant. what to eat at this time

Hi Swetha... Congratulations on your pregnancy. Please look at the link below for detailed answer.

http://www.penmai.com/forums/health-...ant-women.html

sumitra likes this.