Must know - Preeclampsia
Discussions on "Must know - Preeclampsia" in "Preggers Health & Nutrition" forum.
20th Oct 2011, 10:54 PM #1
- Join Date
- May 2011
- Blog Entries
Must know - Preeclampsia
What is Preeclampsia?
It is a complex disorder that arise during the pregancy and during postpartum period(within 48 hrs)after delivery. Its occurs if you have High blood pressure and Protein in the urine after 20 wks.
So Its important to go to every doctor visit and provide urine Sample.
In most cases, it occurs during 36wks of pregnancy. It ranges from mild to severe.Its highly likely, it occurs during second part of the pregnancy.
What it Does to you and your baby?
- The severity of the preeclampsia is determined by the early occurance. Early the symptoms, the higher the risk for you and your baby.
- Most women develop the milder version during the later stage of the pregnancy i.e. after 36wks but they will do just fine with proper diagnosis and proper care from the health care provider.
- But the Severe preeclampsia can cause problems in the organ functions and may also cause serious damage or life threatening problems. The only solution is to deliver early if the symptoms gets worse or progressing.
- Preeclampsia raises the blood pressure and restricts the blood flow to the organs like liver, kidneys and brain.
- When less blood flows to your uterus, it can mean problems for your baby, such as poor growth, too little amniotic fluid, and placental abruption (when the placenta separates from the uterine wall before delivery). In addition, your baby may suffer the effects of prematurityif you need to deliver early to protect your health.
Preeclampsia can occur suddenly. So always be aware of the changes happening in your body. Dont take any new symptoms or changes in your body for granted. Donot miss your Doctor Appointment.
If you notice swelling in your face or puffiness around your eyes, more than slight swelling of your hands, or excessive or sudden swelling of your feet or ankles. This is caused by water retention that can also lead to rapid weight gain, so let your caregiver know if you gain more than 4 pounds in a week.(Note that not all women with preeclampsia have obvious swelling or dramatic weight gain, and not all women with swelling or rapid weight gain have preeclampsia.)
With more severe preeclampsia, you may experience other symptoms.Be alarmed if you have all these warning signs:
- Severe or persistent headache
- Vision changes, including double vision, blurriness, seeing spots or flashing lights, light sensitivity, or temporary loss of vision
- Intense pain or tenderness in your upper abdomen
- Nausea and vomiting
Symptoms can vary from woman to woman, and preeclampsia can occur without any obvious symptoms, particularly in the early stages.What's more, some symptoms of preeclampsia, such as swelling and weight gain, may seem like normal pregnancy complaints.
Occasionally pre eclampsia will lead to the seizures called eclampsia. It can have very serious consequences for both mother and the baby[seizure, stroke,organ failure or even death of mother/still birth of the baby]
The Seizures can occur preceeding the warning signs of pre eclampsia . That why the mothers are given magnesium sulphate , an anti seizure medicine during observation.
For more information about Pre-eclampsia Check out Babycenter(dot)com
Last edited by nlakshmi; 9th Nov 2011 at 12:54 AM.