• 2 Post By Akshaya09
  • 5 Post By jv_66
  • 1 Post By vaishnav
  • 5 Post By rthilag
  • 4 Post By beula
  • 2 Post By pyarpriya
  • 5 Post By PriyagauthamH

my daughter is not eating food properly

Discussions on "my daughter is not eating food properly" in "Preschooler" forum.

Akshaya09 is offline Newbie

my daughter is not eating food properly

hello everyone.. i am new to this forum.. my daughter who is 2 1/2 yr old, not having food properly... she always eat in small amount.. she is not gaining weight, looks very lean.. she not eating fruits and vegetables too... please senior moms help me.. how can i make her to eat well also how to make her to eat veggies.. If she found any veggies in food, she neglect to have those she kept aside.. please help me

Similar Threads:

Sponsored Links
    sumathisrini and jv_66 like this.

jv_66 is offline Super Moderator Silver Ruler's of Penmai
    Real Name
    Jayanthy

Re: my daughter is not eating food properly

Welcome Akshaya

It is quite normal with the children, that they are reluctant to food.

Eating in small amount is not bad. In fact that is very good for health.

Then, while giving the food, give it in varieties of shape. Almost every day, you change the shapes of cut vegetables and fruits.

While giving the food, you can tell interesting stories and make her sit in a place to hear and eat. Please do not run behind her and give the food.

Whatever food you give her, should have a story behind that. That is, tell her, that this food would make her hair grow, or she would become taller, she can run well, she can study well, her eyes will glow etc.,.

Next main thing is , please do not think that the child should be fat. Even if she is lean, she might be healthy.

You can also check this below link

http://www.penmai.com/forums/kids-zone/40773-parenting-tips-jeyanthi.html

Jayanthy

vaishnav is offline Commander's of Penmai
    Real Name
    Vaishnavi

Eating well gives your toddler the energy he needs to learn and grow. And it'll help him stay healthy, maintain a healthy weight, and establish good lifelong eating habits. Here are some ways to make nutritious food the most appealing choice:

Get your toddler involved

A great way to get your toddler excited about eating well is to get him involved in the family's food decisions. He's too young to help you develop menus, of course, but he'd probably love an excursion to the grocery store.
    Child Growth Chart Calculator

See how your child compares to other kids in height, weight, and head size.

As soon as your child's old enough to manage it, ask him to hold the grocery list for you as you shop. Give him a few choices along the way: Peaches or mangoes? Peas or carrots? Graham crackers or fig bars?
    Make a habit of selecting one new fruit or vegetable to try each week, keeping in mind that it may take a few tries before your child will actually eat it. Some doctors suggest that parents offer children new foods at least ten times before moving on to other healthy options.
    Make meals and snacks fun

Enlist your toddler's help in putting toppings on a pizza or grated cheese on a casserole. Arrange carrot sticks, cherry tomatoes, and bell peppers to look like a face on his plate. Make pancakes in the shape of his initials and cut toast into a heart shape. Offer yogurt for him to dip graham crackers or fruit slices in, and outfit him with a lively placemat and dinnerware.
    Go to the source

Take your toddler on an outing to an orchard, community garden, or berry farm so he can see where the food on his plate comes from. At this age he may not make the connection, but the experience might inspire him to try something he wouldn't otherwise be interested in.

Be picky about juices

Fruit juices count toward your toddler's daily fruit intake, but be particular about the kind and amount of juice you offer. Serve your toddler only 100 percent fruit juice or fruit-vegetable juice combinations. (These are full of nutrients and contain less natural sugar than many fruit juices.) Some kids even enjoy vegetable juice straight up!
    If your toddler won't drink milk, you may want to try juices fortified with calcium and vitamin D. Don't offer fruit "drinks" because they may contain as little as 10 percent juice and have an array of artificial flavorings and sweeteners.
    Keep in mind that even the healthiest fruit juices can easily become too much of a good thing. Juice can contribute to childhood obesity and malnourishment because a child who drinks a great deal of juice gets extra calories but not all the nutrients he needs. It can also lead to tooth decay, especially if your toddler carries around a bottle or sippy cup throughout the day.
    So limit your toddler to ½ to ¾ of a cup of fruit juice each day, and use fresh fruit to meet the rest of his requirement. When he's thirsty, offer him water.

Shake and bake

Smoothies are an easy way to get fruit and other nutritious foods into your child's diet. All you need is a blender and a few simple ingredients. You can use your choice of fresh fruit, frozen fruit (such as berries or bananas), or even canned pineapple or peaches. (Strain the syrup first—or better yet, buy the kind packed in 100 percent fruit juice.)
    You might want to include tofu or hard-cooked egg whites—they add protein without changing the taste or texture—and a bit of ground flax seed for extra fiber and omega 3s. Blend with fruit juice or add milk, yogurt, or frozen yogurt for a creamier drink and a dose of calcium.
    Whole wheat and bran muffins are good sources of grains and fiber, and they can also be a vehicle for fruits and vegetables. Make or buy them with bananas, blueberries, carrots, pineapple, or zucchini.
    Fortify but don't fool

You might try incorporating healthy foods into dishes you know your toddler likes, but don't be sneaky about it. (Even if he falls for it now, he may later feel betrayed when he figures out what's up.)
    Tell him you're giving him some special pasta spirals tonight—with spinach mixed in or with broccoli and cheese on top. Better to be up-front and encourage an adventurous approach to eating from the get-go.
    Make it count

Be aware of your child's nutritional needs, but don't worry—it's not hard to meet a toddler's daily requirements. A toddler only needs about 1,000 calories a day. That means a serving of vegetables is 1 to 2 tablespoons and a serving of meat is about the size of the palm of his hand. Here are some easy ways to serve up good nutrition:
    A tablespoon of peanut butter spread thinly (large dollops can cause choking) on a slice of whole wheat bread and half a cup of whole milk supply your toddler with lots of protein, magnesium, zinc, fiber, and calcium.
    And just one banana, half an apple, and half a cup of strawberries meet most toddlers' suggested intake of fruit for the day.

Be a good role model

As you consider all the ways of getting your toddler to eat well, remember to practice what you preach. If your child sees you eating lots of junk food or skipping meals, you can't expect him to eat properly. Make an effort to eat whole grains, fruits, and vegetables, and you and your child will both be better off.
    Be upbeat

Forget the food fights. Let your toddler decide how much to eat. And don't use a sweet treat as a bribe or withhold it as a punishment.

Try to make mealtime together—at the table, not in front of the television —as enjoyable as possible, so that your child can establish a good, healthy relationship with food.

Last edited by vaishnav; 27th Dec 2012 at 07:44 AM.
    sumitra likes this.

rthilag is offline Friends's of Penmai

Hello Akshaya,
    When I read your query, it reminds me of my own days. My daughter was underweight till 5 years. I could not do anything about her weight. She will not drink milk also. I could follow only the below things with her . But you can do better than me.Again, it will work some days. Everyday, I had to entice/force her.Literally, myself/ my husband was feeding her till 5 years. While feeding her, we tell her stories or play some animal planet/Nat Geo for her.
    1. One egg a day without yolk.
    2. Ragi Kanji in the morning.
    Soak the Ragi overnight. Grind the ragi with water and strain out the pulp. Boil the ragi milk with badam powder. While boiling/grinding, milk can be added instead of water.
    3. One fruit a day.
    4. She liked selective vegetables like carrot, potato, bottle gourd , beet root.
    Except potato, I grate all the vegetables and make dry poriyal.
    5. She liked toor and Moong dhal only.
    6. Greens is like "out of portion" for her. I used to add lot of curry leaves in Coconut chutney. I also made coriander / Mint chutney for her. I couldn't add any other greens till 5 years.
    7. Finally, multi vitamin drops suggested by doctor.
    Above was my story. We never encouraged her with chocolates / chips / ice cream till 5 years .

Parasakthi, jv_66, beula and 2 others like this.

beula is offline Penman of Penmai
    Blogger
    Commander's of Penmai
    Real Name
    subhajayanth
    Blog Entries

hi akshaya,
    few kids will like to drink things and few to eat. you find out in which category she comes..and if she likes sweet make her little carrot juice with honey and sugar...beetroot juice (quarter beetroot with equal amount of pomogranate - take juice..add with 1/4th cup of milk) and give it to her.. if she likes to eat make ash gourd/beetroot/carrot halwa... if you give her any biscuit reduce the quantity to the maximum as it will decrease her apetite and brings constipation n indigestion problems..
    if she hates sweet make her little soup.. in that dont mix all vegetables.. take the vegetable.. first try with carrot soup with 1/4th of bangaore tomato cooked 2 minutes in stove, ground and then again cook the puree with needed salt.serve cool / warm..
    Then find out in which way she is comfortable in eating.. give her the food interval of two hours.. in between just give water alone.. check out and she will be trained in a week or 15 days.. to have her diet properly..
    Dont feel bad that she is eating in a small amount.. let her eat more little by little..and gain good strength...

jv_66, rthilag, sumitra and 1 others like this.
    SUBHA JAYANTH

pyarpriya is offline Newbie

hi jeyanthi, thilag and beula thank you all for your suggestions. my daughter also not eating food properly. she is 2 yr old.

Last edited by pyarpriya; 10th Jan 2013 at 02:50 PM.
    jv_66 and sumitra like this.

PriyagauthamH is offline Registered User
    Blogger
    Guru's of Penmai
    Blog Entries

Hi friends,
    Our children ESP toddlers are very impressionable... They follow what their parents do ... So it is very important as adults/ parents not to avoid fruits and veg in their presence...

Introducing a lot of varieties of fruit/ veg right from weaning is important..
    no eating in front of telly.. Keeping meal time with particular emphasis on all in the family eating together is important ...

pls never talk anything negative about fruit/ veg in front of them... Eg.. Pavakkai is bitter etc... Always put forth the best points eg... Carrots are good for eyes... You'll grow taller etc etc...

No running around in the house or garden.. Encourage them to sit in high chair or dining table right from initial stages of weaning...
    it is good to encourage eating veggies by cooking them with dhal and smashing initially but donot continue this for long... Children like variety ie - shape, colour, texture flavour etc...
    Ensure a plate of food is colourful ...
    Eg- feed keerai masiyal with carrot or beet root ....
    Encourage consumption of nuts... Added to milk shakes / sweets etc
    i grind a handful of curry leaves in adai mav...
    instead of plain payasam - add some carrot or some dry fruits
    i even cook nonveg with veggies eg adding some chopped spinach to prawn gravy.... Or cooking egg scramble with some grated cauliflower or cabbage eetci stead of plain idly veg stuffed idly ESP as a surprise as to what veg is inside veg etc...
    instead of plain potato masala for poori adding a handful of cooked sundal of any kind...
    children have phases --- likes and dislikes and fav veggies change for them .. So donot be hard and fast...
    Always use fresh and veg/ fruit in season...
    Most important of all include them in meal planning, shopping for fruit and veg ... Encourage them to help in kitchen right from young age ... Lil things like washing raw rice.. Helping in the kitchen helps them feel the veggies in their raw form and they appreciate it a lot
    when mixing chappati dough , rolling chappati also pls include them in measuring , rolling etc...
    My 3 1/2 yr old loves to talk to me when I cook... She'll ask the names of veggies , dry groceries etc... She likes to smell , touch them.. I let her do it in a safe way...
    Encourage questions and interact with them rather than a monotonous it's good for you or boochandi Varan finish your food ...
    Pls do not encourage added sugar or salt in food ... ESP in juices and milk shakes... Use naturally sweet dates figs etc instead of refined sugar
    hope this helps....

Last edited by PriyagauthamH; 10th Jan 2013 at 03:33 PM. Reason: Spelling mistakes
    Priya

pyarpriya is offline Newbie

Quote Originally Posted by PriyagauthamH View Post
    Hi friends,
    Our children ESP toddlers are very impressionable... They follow what their parents do ... So it is very important as adults/ parents not to avoid fruits and veg in their presence...

Introducing a lot of varieties of fruit/ veg right from weaning is important..
    no eating in front of telly.. Keeping meal time with particular emphasis on all in the family eating together is important ...

pls never talk anything negative about fruit/ veg in front of them... Eg.. Pavakkai is bitter etc... Always put forth the best points eg... Carrots are good for eyes... You'll grow taller etc etc...

No running around in the house or garden.. Encourage them to sit in high chair or dining table right from initial stages of weaning...
    it is good to encourage eating veggies by cooking them with dhal and smashing initially but donot continue this for long... Children like variety ie - shape, colour, texture flavour etc...
    Ensure a plate of food is colourful ...
    Eg- feed keerai masiyal with carrot or beet root ....
    Encourage consumption of nuts... Added to milk shakes / sweets etc
    i grind a handful of curry leaves in adai mav...
    instead of plain payasam - add some carrot or some dry fruits
    i even cook nonveg with veggies eg adding some chopped spinach to prawn gravy.... Or cooking egg scramble with some grated cauliflower or cabbage eetci stead of plain idly veg stuffed idly ESP as a surprise as to what veg is inside veg etc...
    instead of plain potato masala for poori adding a handful of cooked sundal of any kind...
    children have phases --- likes and dislikes and fav veggies change for them .. So donot be hard and fast...
    Always use fresh and veg/ fruit in season...
    Most important of all include them in meal planning, shopping for fruit and veg ... Encourage them to help in kitchen right from young age ... Lil things like washing raw rice.. Helping in the kitchen helps them feel the veggies in their raw form and they appreciate it a lot
    when mixing chappati dough , rolling chappati also pls include them in measuring , rolling etc...
    My 3 1/2 yr old loves to talk to me when I cook... She'll ask the names of veggies , dry groceries etc... She likes to smell , touch them.. I let her do it in a safe way...
    Encourage questions and interact with them rather than a monotonous it's good for you or boochandi Varan finish your food ...
    Pls do not encourage added sugar or salt in food ... ESP in juices and milk shakes... Use naturally sweet dates figs etc instead of refined sugar
    hope this helps....
    Hi Priya... your ideas are simply superb. thanks.

//My 3 1/2 yr old loves to talk to me when I cook... She'll ask the names of veggies , dry groceries etc... She likes to smell , touch them.. I let her do it in a safe way...//

so sweet girl. its a very good habit la priya.