Like Tree18Likes
  • 3 Post By arunuma
  • 2 Post By jv_66
  • 3 Post By arunuma
  • 3 Post By jv_66
  • 3 Post By arunuma
  • 3 Post By jv_66
  • 1 Post By manikarnika

How to stop middle of the night feeding?

Discussions on "How to stop middle of the night feeding?" in "Preschooler" forum.

arunuma is offline Friends's of Penmai

How to stop middle of the night feeding?

My son is 16 months old now. He wakes up middle of the night hungry and he can continue sleeping only after drinking milk. How can I stop this habit? His pediatrician says this habit is because we bed share and he recommends to put my son in separate room/bed which I m not willing to do.
    I am ok with feeding my son middle of the night. But the doctor is concerned abt his teeth decay and blah blah. Do I have to worry abt this?

Moderator's Note:This Article has been published in Penmai eMagazine April 2015. You Can download & Read the magazines HERE.

Similar Threads:

Sponsored Links
    Last edited by sumathisrini; 24th May 2015 at 09:59 PM.
    sumathisrini, jv_66 and sumitra like this.

jv_66 is offline Super Moderator Silver Ruler's of Penmai
    Real Name
    Jayanthy

Re: How to stop middle of the night feeding?

Hi Uma,

You can lactate him till the maximum age of 2. If you wish to stop feeding, you can also do it now.

Your doctor is correct in saying about the tooth decay.

Always after feeding the child, it is better to give him atleast a sip of water, so that the child's teeth will not decay after drinking the milk and sleeping . During this time, the bacteria would spread due to the sweetness of the milk.

So, what you can do is, in the night before your son goes to sleep, just give him a glass of milk in a sipper, so that he will not feel hungry in the middle of the night.

After giving the milk, make him sip a little water which will help his teeth from decay.

Even if he is waking and crying in the mid night, you can just give him a little water, and then he will sleep again.

Your doctor is saying to make this small child to sleep separately, according to their country's practice. It is not a must for us to follow that.

For more details, the below link may also help you

How to stop breastfeeding naturally

Moderator's Note:This Article has been published in Penmai eMagazine April 2015. You Can download & Read the magazines HERE.

Last edited by sumathisrini; 24th May 2015 at 09:59 PM.
    sumathisrini and sumitra like this.
    Jayanthy

Hi Akka,
    I followed your advice and started giving him only water when he wakes up in the middle of night. He was ok with that practice for almost a month. Recently, his grandparents left to India, he was missing them and had fever. From then, he reduced his food intake and he wants milk in the middle of night. I give him almond milk actually. What shall I do now? I think he is hungry. Should I just avoid giving milk? so that he will start eating properly? I am confused. He is now 18 months old.
    Please advice.
    Thanks.

Real Name
    Jayanthy

Quote Originally Posted by arunuma View Post
    Hi Akka,
    I followed your advice and started giving him only water when he wakes up in the middle of night. He was ok with that practice for almost a month. Recently, his grandparents left to India, he was missing them and had fever. From then, he reduced his food intake and he wants milk in the middle of night. I give him almond milk actually. What shall I do now? I think he is hungry. Should I just avoid giving milk? so that he will start eating properly? I am confused. He is now 18 months old.
    Please advice.
    Thanks.

Hi Uma,

No dear....never make the practice of giving any kind of food , including milk, in the middle of the night. It is an unhealthy practice , which may continue for many years.

This will also disturb his sleep and even after growing into a boy, he will want to have milk in the mid night. This practice may make him feel hungry in the midnight for ever.

Just follow to give him a sip of water in the midnight and day by day, he will reduce this habit.

Only for the newborns, and until 6 to 8 months, this kind of feeding milk in the middle of the night is alright. Later, it need to stopped after 1 year.

That is why, I asked to give him milk before going to bed.

Let him have his dinner - like any tiffin, rice or atleast ragi koozh (something solid) within 8 - 8.30 p.m.

After this, just before going to bed, make it a regular practice to give him milk (almond milk is fine). This is enough and a very healthy practice. After giving him this milk, make him sip a little water and then go to sleep.

After 2 years, make him brush his teeth even before going to bed. Along with this, make him drink the first milk in the morning, only after brushing his teeth.

You can also give him little warm water, immediately after brushing his teeth, which will soothen his motion and it will have a regular schedule of time to pass the motion. And yours is also a cold place. This practice may help a lot. It can be followed for ever , even for elders.

Please don't worry that he might feel hungry in the midnight.

Last edited by sumathisrini; 24th May 2015 at 10:00 PM.
    sumathisrini, arunuma and sumitra like this.
    Jayanthy

I give him rice by 8.30PM and I give him milk just before he goes to bed around 10.30 PM.. Even after that, he wants milk in the middle of the night. If I dont give milk, he tries to sleep and cries in another 10 to 15 mins.. This continues till I give up and give him milk.
    I ll try not to give milk. but I need will power to let him fuss and sleep.

Real Name
    Jayanthy

Quote Originally Posted by arunuma View Post
    I give him rice by 8.30PM and I give him milk just before he goes to bed around 10.30 PM.. Even after that, he wants milk in the middle of the night. If I dont give milk, he tries to sleep and cries in another 10 to 15 mins.. This continues till I give up and give him milk.
    I ll try not to give milk. but I need will power to let him fuss and sleep.

Yes Uma....this is because, till now, he has become habitual of drinking the milk in the mid night.

As you said, please make your mind strong and don't continue this habit, and within few days or months, he will get practised , not to ask for milk in the mid night.

sumathisrini, arunuma and sumitra like this.
    Jayanthy

manikarnika is offline Friends's of Penmai
    Real Name
    vanitha

But its really tough job...am also facing the same problem...i have twins ...both wakes up in thae midnight and cries for milk... If i dont they wont sleep at all...and continuesly crying..wat can i do

arunuma likes this.
    உன் மனவலிமைக்கு அந்த வானம் வசப்படட்டும் வாழ்த்துக்களுடன் வனிதா.

கடிதங்கள் என் அவனுக்காக