Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
Penmai eMagazine November! | All Issues

User Tag List

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By vijigermany

Harnessing the Power of Positive Expectations

Discussions on "Harnessing the Power of Positive Expectations" in "Psychological Problems" forum.

vijigermany is offline Supreme Ruler's of Penmai

"Change your thoughts and you change your world." - Norman Vincent Peale

Your expectations hold great power - probably far more than you realize. The question is, what do you normally expect in your day to day experiences?

Do you expect things to go well for you? Do you expect challenges and obstacles? Do you expect success, or failure? Do you expect to be treated well, or treated poorly? Almost every time, your outer experiences will reflect your dominant expectations.

If your expectations usually lean toward the negative side, there are three big reasons you may want to start changing that:

1) Your expectations influence your attitude.

Your overall attitude in life greatly affects your ability to be happy and successful. A negative or cynical attitude prevents you from giving your best effort and attention to your goals, which will lead to lackluster results. If you want to get dynamic results in all of your endeavors, you've got to have a dynamic attitude. You've got to be fired up, passionate, and committed to your goals as if your life depended on achieving them. Your success certainly does!

When you deliberately hold positive expectations, you can't help but have a positive, confident, "can do" attitude to go along with it.

2) Your expectations determine your actions.

Not only will negative expectations taint your attitude, they will also influence your willingness to take action, and the very actions you take. If you expect things to go wrong, they usually will. And if you expect a poor outcome, you won't see the point in taking deliberate, positive actions to achieve your goals and improve your life.

On the other hand, when you hold positive expectations and have a positive attitude to go along with them, you feel motivated and inspired about your goals. You EXPECT your hard work to bring favorable results, so you don't hesitate to move toward them eagerly.

3) Your expectations affect your relationships.

Every interaction you have with other people will be influenced by your attitude. If you expect to be taken advantage of, rejected, or betrayed, you will attract the kind of people who will make your expectations come true.

Holding a positive expectation for every interaction has the exact opposite result! You attract positive, likeminded, successful, compassionate, generous people who want to partner with you for mutually beneficial purposes.

How to Hold Positive Expectations

So - now that you know WHY it's important to harness the power of positive expectations, you're probably wondering how to do it. How do you change the habit of holding negative expectations and replace them with positive expectations?

Simply by practicing!

Start by paying attention to the things you hear yourself say throughout the day. If you catch yourself expressing negative expectations like these: "This meeting will be a waste of time. I probably won't get the promotion, I never get ahead. Things never work out for me." -- Turn them around!

Create a new habit of deliberately choosing to hold positive expectations by saying things like this:

"I know that something good is going to come from this meeting. I'm going to get this promotion - or something even better will come along! Situations always work out in my favor. I expect to be successful. I expect to be treated with respect. I expect to be happy and healthy."

At first you might not really believe the words you are saying, but if you keep insisting that they are true, you will be amazed to see your outer circumstances cooperating with your positive new state of mind.

Go ahead, prove it to yourself. It works! :-)