Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
Penmai eMagazine October! | All Issues

User Tag List

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By vijigermany

Life is for living - and to the full

Discussions on "Life is for living - and to the full" in "Psychological Problems" forum.

vijigermany is offline Supreme Ruler's of Penmai

When you’re diagnosed with an incurable disease people assume it’s time you got “your life in order” and “do things you’ve always dreamt of doing”.
    In theory, maybe us incurables should, but let’s just be realistic.

Unless you have an exact expiry date, how do you know how much you still need to ‘fit in’ AND still maintain a life where you can afford to do these things AND still have the treatments that allow you to?

I’m a strong believer in making sure that on the day I die, I know I lived a life I am happy about, and I made my mark, however big or small.

If you’ve seen the movie The Bucket List you’ll remember this great quote about how to measure your own existence: “You measure yourself by the people that measure themselves by you”.

With my charity CoppaFeel! I’d like to think that those thoughts, when the fateful day comes, are taken care of. But there is still room for even more adventure, isn’t there?
    And do I need someone telling me I have an incurable festering disease to make me do these things? Heck no! That, I believe, has been in my blood since the day I was born.

I have no desire to swim with sharks or do a bungee jump, even if the pressure of being a dying cancer chick entices me, but what has always been teetering at the top my own bucket list is seeing the cherry blossom in Japan.

I can’t explain why, but I’ve wanted to see it in all its glory for a long time, knowing it was one of those ‘must do before you die’ things.

You have to be pretty lucky as it blooms and falls within a matter of days. So I went and saw it... last week.

And we got there in the nick of time before it faded, which I knew was a sign; I was meant to see the cherry blossom.

Whether I felt the need to because, let’s be frank, we really don’t know how much longer I’ll be fit enough to travel, or it was simply because I needed a holiday or because it just so happened my friend Sarah Outen was there? Who cares? What I do know is that I am 1,000% happier knowing that I just did it.

Seeing Sarah, an adventurer friend who is soon setting off from Japan to row across the Atlantic Ocean to Canada, was a huge energy boost, too – if you think you’re having a tough day, how’s about rowing an ocean... solo!?

She’s bonkers but that’s what I love about her. I can’t wait to follow her exploits (check out Sarah Outen | London2London: via the World). Her plan is to loop the world, purely by “Sarah power”.

And this hasn’t been on her bucket list either, she just wanted to see the world and tell her kids about it after. She didn’t need cancer to spur her on that’s for sure.
    As for seeing the blossom, I can happily cross that one off my list. I felt so lucky to be there, when there had been so many times over the past three years where I thought travelling so far would be a no-no.

It was magical beyond words and every bit as awesome as I had imagined it to be. Next on my list are the Northern Lights!

So, cancer or no cancer, hows about that Mount Kilimanjaro climb you’ve been dreaming of?

It’s a great excuse for a holiday.