Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
Penmai eMagazine November! | All Issues

User Tag List

Like Tree7Likes

Interesting Stories for kids!!

Discussions on "Interesting Stories for kids!!" in "Schooler" forum.

deepa bala is offline Guru's of Penmai
    Real Name
    Deepa
    Blog Entries

Interesting Stories for kids!!

Tenali Rama and the Jinx

Clown, jester, poet…Tenali Rama, minister in the court of the ruler of Vijaynagar, Krishnadeva Rai (reign: 1509-30), was a lot of things. Stories, about Tenali Rama and his practical jokes on everyone around him including distinguished fellow poets and the emperor himself, abound in south India.

His fame spread beyond Vijaynagar (present-day Andhra Pradesh), to areas that come in Tamil Nadu and Karnataka today. Tenali Rama was also a great scholar of several languages that included Marathi, Tamil and Kannada.

It was well known in the town of Vijaynagar that anyone unfortunate enough to look at a man called Ramaya first thing in the morning, would not be able to have food that day. That was why no one in Vijaynagar liked encountering Ramaya in the morning, if they could help it.

King Krishnadeva Rai, too, came to know of this and wanted to try it out on himself.

He called Ramaya to the palace and made him stay the night in a room adjacent to his bedchamber. The next morning, the first thing he did after waking up, was to take a look at Ramaya.

After finishing a few important duties in the durbar or court, the king went to the dining hall to eat. The food arrived piping hot. The king had hardly picked up the first morsel when he caught sight of a fly in the food. He left the table in disgust. And when the food was prepared for him the second time, he found that he had lost his appetite.

King Krishnadeva Rai could not eat anything at all that day, as a result.

The king was convinced that Ramaya was really jinxed. An angry king ordered that Ramaya be hanged.

In those days the king's word was law. The soldiers had no option but to take Ramaya to the gallows. While on their way to the gallows, they met Tenali Rama. He heard the story from the condemned man and then whispered something in Ramaya's ears. Ramaya nodded before being whisked away.

When the soldiers asked Ramaya about his last wish, he told them he wanted to convey a message to the king. He also requested that he be hanged only after hearing of the king's response.

"Tell the king while it may be true that anyone who sees my face first thing in the morning does not get anything to eat that day, it's also true that if anyone sees the king's face first thing in the morning, as I did, he has to lose his life. So who's the greater jinx - the king or I?" said Ramaya.

On hearing the message, the king was stunned. Then he felt ashamed. He ordered the execution to be stopped, called Ramaya over and offered him gifts. He also asked Ramaya not to say anything about the incident to the public. He was sure that the people of Vijaynagar wouldn't take well to the idea of having a jinxed person for a ruler.

Retold by Brishti Bandyopadhyay; Illustration by Shinod AP

Similar Threads:

Sponsored Links
    sumitra and gkarti like this.

Real Name
    Deepa
    Blog Entries

Re: Interesting Stories for kids!!

The Troublesome Slippers

Abukashan was a wealthy merchant, notorious for his stingy nature. He had a pair of slippers that were famous in town because they were completely worn out. The slippers had outlived their lives but Abukashan simply refused to buy a new pair.

One day he went to a public bath, visited by all the rich and famous people. He left his slippers outside and went into the shower. A few minutes later a judge entered the bath leaving his new and shining slippers outside. When Abukashan came out of the bath, he could not find his slippers, but saw a pair of new slippers instead. He thought, some friend of mine must have left these as a gift for me. So Abukashan wore the new slippers and went about his business.

Meanwhile, when the judge came out of the bath, he found his slippers missing. His attendant said "Sir I can’t find your slippers, but here are Abukashan’s. He must have taken your slippers."

When Abukashan was found, wearing the Judge’s slippers, he was brought to court. Abukashan tried to explain his side of the story, but nobody believed him. The judge imposed a heavy fine on Abukashan in light of his great wealth and stingy nature. So he paid the fine, took his old slippers back, and went home.

Abukashan was angry with his slippers for causing him so much trouble. So he threw them out of his window into the river below. Unfortunately, the slippers got caught in a fisherman’s net, who was fishing nearby. The old, worn out slippers damaged the net. Naturally, the poor fisherman was angry and he threw the slippers back into Abukashan’s house. The slippers flew through an open window, dashed against some valuable crystal displayed in the house, and in a moment, Abukashan lost his favorite expensive vase.
    Now Abukashan was really very upset with his slippers. He knew he had to get rid of them immediately. So he went to a nearby pond and threw the slippers in. But as luck would have it, the slippers logged themselves in a pipe that supplied water, and blocked the supply. When the water supply people finally found what was blocking the pipes, they recognized Abukashan’s famous slippers. So, once again, he was produced in court. And, again, a very heavy fine was imposed on him.

A rather unhappy Abukashan looked with disgust at his slippers. Throwing they away just didn’t seem to be working. He decided he would burn them instead. So he picked up the wet slippers and put them out on the roof of his house for drying. As they were drying, the neighbors’ cat saw them and started playing with them. Just then, a women carrying a heavy load on her head was walking by Abukashan’s house. As the cat was playing with the slipper, it fell off the roof and landed on the head of the passing woman. Unfortunately the woman was pregnant and had to rush to the hospital. Once again Abukashan was produced in court and once again a very heavy fine was imposed.

This time Abukashan decided to bury his slippers. So he came home and immediately started digging a hole in his backyard. A neighbor saw Abukashan digging and thought that he must be burying a treasure. According to the law of that land, citizens were required to notify the government and pay a tax on all treasures. The neighbor informed the government and once again Abukashan was produced in court.

By now the Judge was quite fed up of Abukashan, so he imposed an even heavier fine. Abukashan was now in tears and pleaded to the judge, "Sir, I am tired of my slippers. I have lost all my wealth just trying to get rid of them. Please take my slippers and me into custody. At least that should prevent the slippers from getting me into more trouble."

The judge was a kind-hearted man, and he could understand Abukashan’s troubles. He said "As we go through life we acquire different things and positions in life. We should thank god for showering them on us. But at the same time we should not get attached to them. We must realize that just as good things come, they must go. We should welcome them and enjoy them, when they come. And when it is time for them to go, we should not hold on to them. We must learn to give up our old shoes at the right time".

By: Ajay Jaiman; Illustrations by Amarjeet Malik

Last edited by deepa bala; 4th Jan 2013 at 06:28 PM.

Real Name
    Deepa
    Blog Entries

Silence is Golden

Once upon a time, a Chinese student once went to his teacher.He asked his teacher a question: "Sir, is there any good in talking a lot?"
    The teacher replied: "Toads and frogs croak night and day, but no one pays any attention to them. But the cock crows at a certain time of night and wakes up everyone."

The teacher smiled at his student and said, "This proves that no good is achieved by talking a lot. What is important is to say the right thing at the right time."

By N C Ramaa; Illustration by Sudheer Nath

Real Name
    Deepa
    Blog Entries

The Mighty

At the edge of a forest, stood a big tree. Its branches spread out majestically and so did its roots. It shielded people from the sun under its shady leaves, and provided shelter to countless birds and other small creatures in its branches. It buzzed with activity all the time.

At the foot of the tree grew a little plant. The plant was willowy and delicate, and tended to keel over at the touch of the slightest breeze.

One day, the two neighbours were having a little chat.

"Well, little one," said the tree to the plant, "Why do you not plant your feet deeply in the ground, and raise your head boldly in the air as I do?"

"I see no need to do so," whispered the plant with a smile. "Actually, I think I may be safer this way."

"Safer!" sneered the tree. "Are you suggesting that you're safer than I am? Do you know how deep my roots are buried, how thick and strong my trunk is? Even if two men hold hands they would not be able to surround my trunk. Who could possibly pluck me by the roots or bow my head to the ground?"

And the tree turned away from the plant in a great huff.

But the tree was to regret its words very soon. One evening a great hurricane arose in the region. It hurled the trees off their roots and almost completely destroyed the forest. It uprooted the neem tree and hurled it away with great force.

When the storm had passed, the villagers living nearby surveyed the damage. Mighty trees that had once almost touched the sky, were now reduced to stumps or worse. The forest was littered with their carcasses.

But there was one exception. The little plant. The plant had been tossed and turned under the fury of the hurricane, and bent completely. But when the hurricane ended, it sighed and stood upright again.

No trace remained of its mighty neighbour though.

Real Name
    Deepa
    Blog Entries

The Palm Reader

Hari Prasad was the most sought-after man in the marketplace. A palmist rumoured to be the best in the area, he lived-off people's hands as he was believed to possess superior qualities of prediction.

All he had to do was stare at the faint little criss-crossing lines on someone's palm for a little while and bingo, the client would listen astounded, as the palmist laid his life history bare before him.

The client would return home somewhat dazed by what he thought were the amazing powers of the astrologer. Few realised that Hari Prasad had actually said very little that was not a generalisation. Later it might strike some that they had been taken for a ride. But by then it was too late, they had already paid him his fees.

It was hard to believe Hari Prasad could lie. He had the look of someone very grave and authoritative. So people still queued up to have their palms examined and hear a few surprisingly accurate observations about their life - to be followed by a whole lot of nonsense. This was courtesy a few discreet enquiries made during the palm-reading session.

One day, in the middle of one such session, the neighbour's boy came running to Hari Prasad's shop: "Chacha (uncle), come home immediately. Someone broke into your house and stole all the valuables," he said.

At this, Hari Prasad leapt to his feet and began to run very fast. As he ran home, everyone in the vicinity watched him with surprise.

"Hey, he should not be running so fast," said someone, "surely he knew this was going to happen."

"How on earth could he have known that?" asked another person. "Do you think the thief served him a special notice that he was going to be robbed?"

"No," said the first man. "But how could Hari Prasad, the man who foretells everyone else's fortune, not have foreseen his own? And that too, a theft in his own house?"

sumitra is offline Registered User
    Blogger
    Ruler's of Penmai
    Blog Entries

Very nice stories with good messages. thanks for sharing deepa

deepa bala likes this.

Real Name
    Deepa
    Blog Entries

War Drum

Mukabla, the Jackal was very sad. He had not eaten for many days. He had travelled all over the jungle searching for food, but with no luck. Now, he was hungry and tired too.

It was a hot afternoon, so Mukabla decided to rest under a tree. The tired Jackal immediately fell asleep. Soon it was dark.

Suddenly, Mukabla was woken up by some strange noises.

Wooosh-dum-dum-shhhhh-dum-da-dum-da-dum.

The wind was blowing hard. And the strange noises continued. Wooosh-dum-dum-shhhhh-dum-da-dum-da-dum. The Jackal had never heard such sounds before and he was scared. He started to run.

He had not gone very far, when he stopped. "Hey, why am I running? What could those noises be?" So he gathered some courage and slowly started walking back to where the noises were coming from.

As he got nearer the noises became louder. Wooosh-dum-dum-shhhhh-dum-da-dum-da-dum. But Mukabla had made up his mind to find out what the strange noise was all about. And then suddenly he saw it.

Somebody had left a large drum next to a tree. And the branches of the tree were swinging in the wind and hitting the drum.

Wooosh-dum-dum-shhhhh-dum-da-dum-da-dum.

‘Oh, it is just a drum, and here I was scared and running away from it. How silly of me,’ thought Mukabla.

He went closer to the drum, and, oh, look what he found! There was food near the drum. Whoever left the drum in the forest, must have forgotten the food too.

The hungry Jackal immediately started eating. Licking his lips, he said to himself. ‘Had I run away from this strange noise, I would have missed out on such great food.’

Last edited by deepa bala; 4th Jan 2013 at 06:50 PM.

Real Name
    Deepa
    Blog Entries

Abdullah's Gold

Abdullah was one of the richest men in town, but you could easily mistake him for a beggar. It was his theory that since there were so many people out to rob a rich man, it was safe to pretend to be poor. And so he did.

But he really didn't have to pretend. Stingy to the core he found it very easy to be poor. So what if people sniggered and children called out,"Kanjoos! Kanjoos!" (miser, miser), whenever he passed by in his worn-out clothes. Abdullah became more and more content with his growing pile of money as the years went by.

One day, he bought a huge lump of gold with all the money he had amassed. He dug a hole in the ground near an unused well and buried the gold there. He was sure that no thief would be able to find that place. With this happy thought, Abdullah checked on his treasure daily.

But can you really keep a hiding place hidden if you looked at it every day? Before long, the town was whispering about Abdullah's mysterious visits to the unused well in the dead of the night. It wasn't long before a curious soul discovered the gold, let out a yell of joy and ran away with the miser's treasure.

Naturally, on his next visit, Abdullah found the hole empty. He began howling with grief and soon a crowd had assembled. They watched him grieve the way people mourn the loss of a dear one.

Finally, a neighbour came forward and asked him to stop it. "You want your gold? Just pick up a heavy stone and drop it in the hole. Pretend it is the gold you lost."

"How can you make fun of me at a time like this," wailed the stricken man.

"I'm not making fun of you, friend!" said the wise neighbour. "How did you use the gold while it was here, except gaze at it every day? You could do the same with a stone."

Abdullah was silenced.

Last edited by deepa bala; 4th Jan 2013 at 06:49 PM.

Real Name
    Deepa
    Blog Entries

Whatever Happens, Happens for the Best.

Once upon a time there was an old man called Sthira, who lived alone in a village. He would go about his business alone, even in his old age. He was a nice, friendly man who was liked by all the people in the village. They would often come over to the old man’s house and express their sympathy that his only son had gone so far away to study. They wondered aloud if his son would ever return. To all their concern, Sthira would always thank them and say, "Whatever happens, happens for the good."
    One day, the old man’s son returned to the village. The entire village was very happy for Sthira, and streams of villagers came over to congratulate him. Like always, the old man was polite. He thanked all of them for coming over and said, "Whatever happens, happens for the good."

Barely a few days had passed, when one day, Sthira’s son fell off a horse’s back and broke his leg. Once again the entire village came over to Sthira’s house to express their concern. And once again the old man thanked them for their sympathy and said, "Whatever happens, happens for the good." Some of the villagers were surprised to hear this and wondered what good could there possibly be in a broken leg.

A few days later, a small army of the local king came to the village and recruited all able-bodied young men into the army. When they came to Sthira’s house they found his son with a broken leg. So they left him behind. Once again, all the villagers came to the old man’s house to congratulate him for his good luck. And like always, the old man thanked them for their concern and said, "Whatever happens, happens for the good."

Last edited by deepa bala; 4th Jan 2013 at 06:48 PM.

Real Name
    Deepa
    Blog Entries

The Doctor who 'did not' Cure

An old woman had lost her eyesight completely. So she went to a doctor to help her see again and made a bargain with him in the presence of a few witnesses. The bargain was that: if he could cure her, he would be paid handsomely. But if he couldn't, she would not be obliged to pay him anything.

The doctor had a special ointment. When it was applied in the eyes for a certain period of time, it restored the eyesight of anyone who was sightless.

The doctor began to visit his new patient daily to apply the ointment. But knowing that she couldn't see, he started stealing the valuables in her house, one by one. When there was nothing more left to steal, he decided to cure her and demanded his payment.

When the old woman recovered her eyesight, she saw that her valuables had been stolen and guessed that the doctor was the thief. So, saying that she was not cured, she refused to pay him. The doctor was astonished when she refused to pay and he insisted on his fees. But the old woman refused again and the two went to court.

The judge asked the old woman why she refused to pay the doctor. To this she said: "The doctor is telling the truth. I did promise to give him money if I recovered my sight. However, if I remained blind, I was to give him nothing. Now he declares that he has healed me and so I should pay him. But I am still blind."

Everyone in the court looked at the old woman in great surprise. "How can you say a thing like that? Everyone in the courtroom can see that your eyesight has been restored." said the judge sternly.

"Your honour," replied the old woman. "I really can't see. Before I lost the use of my eyes, I had seen a lot of valuable goods in my house. But now, though the doctor swears I am cured of my blindness, I am not able to see a single thing of value in it."

The judge agreed that the old woman was indeed still blind, and let her go without a trial.