Penmai eMagazine November! | All Issues

User Tag List

Like Tree16Likes
  • 3 Post By vasunthara
  • 3 Post By sumitra
  • 5 Post By deepa bala
  • 3 Post By GayathriArun
  • 2 Post By sumathisrini

how to make my kid to eat veggies and keerai?

Discussions on "how to make my kid to eat veggies and keerai?" in "Schooler" forum.

vasunthara is offline Newbie

how to make my kid to eat veggies and keerai?

my daughter not eating veggies and keerai.. i tried lot of tantrums.. but failed.. help me friends.

Moderator Note:

This Article has been published in Penmai eMagazine Feb 2013. You Can download & Read the magazines
    HERE.

Similar Threads:

Sponsored Links
    Last edited by gkarti; 2nd Jul 2014 at 07:47 PM.
    Parasakthi, deepa bala and sumitra like this.

sumitra is offline Registered User
    Blogger
    Ruler's of Penmai
    Blog Entries

Re: how to make my kid to eat veggies and keerai?

​Dear vasundhara,
    Make a Big Pot of Vegetable Soup

and then add some fun noodle shapes

You can use alphabet noodles or look for some fun novelty shapes. You may be able to find some cartoon characters, toy and sports shapes etc. I have even seen pumpkin and Christmas tree shapes. With a little luck your kids will be too busy spelling words, or identifying the shape to notice all the veggies they are eating in the soup.

If You Can't Make Them Eat, Make Them Drink it

Pour some vegetable juice over ice and add a straw, a cocktail umbrella or a stick of celery and watch them drink it up.
    Here is a Kids Approved Juice

Ingredients:

2 cups apple juice
    1 tablespoon lemon juice
    1/2 teaspoon grated orange or lemon peel
    dash salt
    2 (3-inch) cinnamon sticks
    2 (about 3/4 lb.) Red Delicious apples, cored and diced
    1-1/2 cups diced fresh pineapple
    1 orange, peeled and sectioned

How to:

1) Combine apple juice, lemon juice, orange or lemon peel, salt and cinnamon sticks in saucepan.

2) Bring to boil and simmer, uncovered, 10 minutes. Cool slightly.

3) Remove cinnamon sticks. Combine apples, pineapple and orange.
    Pour syrup over fruit and chill.

Your kids may not get as much fiber as eating the entire vegetable, but getting them to drink their vegetables is better than not getting any vegetables in their system.

3. Have You Tried Offering Them ...

Some Raw Vegetables...

with some ranch dressing to dip them in? Many kids who don't care much for cooked vegetables will eat them up if they can dip them. Just grab a bag of baby carrots and cut up some red and yellow peppers and some cucumber.

Arrange them on a plate with a little bit of ranch dressing or your favorite vegetable dip on the side.

Take It Even a Step Further and Let Them...

Create Artwork

... out of their vegetables. Offer raw vegetables in different colors and shapes and encourage them to make a vegetable collage on their plate. You can easily make a face using slices of cucumber as eyes, a baby carrot as nose and a slice of red pepper as a mouth. You can use watercress or shredded carrots or even some cheese as hair. Before you know it, you'll find them sampling their "art supplies".

5. Get the Kids Together and Make a Cold ...

Vegetable Pizza.

Start out with a can of crescent rolls. Unroll the dough, but don't pull the triangle shapes apart. Instead push the seams together and bake on a baking sheet according to the package directions. Let the sheet of dough cool completely, then spread with some crème cheese (we like a vegetable or herb flavored one) and top with some thinly sliced raw veggies. Cut into squares and serve.so use houmous as the dressing, it is healthy and if you make it yourself you can ajust the garlic (or leave it out).

To Get Them to Eat More Vegetables at...

Dinnertime Try a Salad Bar

Put out some lettuce, some sliced or chopped tomato, slices of cucumber, shredded carrot, slices of red and yellow peppers, small broccoli flowerets and anything else you can think of.

You may also want to offer them some choices when it comes to salad dressing.

Favorites in our house are Ranch, Italian, Catalina, and French. To top it all of set out some croutons and shredded cheese

deepa bala is offline Guru's of Penmai
    Real Name
    Deepa
    Blog Entries

Hi Vasunthara... Sumitra sister has given u some valuable tips...

Wts the age of ur kid? If he/she is too young to try new dishes, simply mash the keerais and veggies and add it to their food.. I did it for my kid since she too refuses to take in wtever way I give her...

After 3 or 4 years , you have the liberty to try many new dishes...

Try giving raw carrot and raw cabbage, sometimes they like it!

Prepare fried rice or noodles or soups with all veggies... Bcoz generally kids love colourful dishes...

You can also try veg lollipop.. I have tried and my kid liked it!

Take some carrots, beans, beetroot, potatoes, cauliflower and peas and boil them. Drain out the water and mash the boiled vegetable in a bowl. Mix some crumbled bread in the mixture. Add some green chilies and salt to taste. Make oval shaped balls out of the mixture and insert them in the centre of the ball you have made. Once you have inserted the stick deep fry them.

If you do not want to deep fry them, you can flatten these balls a little and make different shapes like star, heart, moon etc and grill them in your oven or microwave at 250 degrees for around 10 minutes.

Moderator Note:

This Article has been published in Penmai eMagazine Feb 2013. You Can download & Read the magazines
    HERE.

Last edited by gkarti; 2nd Jul 2014 at 07:46 PM.

GayathriArun is offline Friends's of Penmai
    Real Name
    Gayathri ArunPrakash

The best way to make your child eat veggies is give to beatings on the back and ask your child to eat, just joking.

If your child doesnt like to eat veggies and greens include it in the nonveg dish like palak chicken.
    Vegetables can be cooked in different ways to tempt your child. Make chats using vegetables in different colours.
    Use your creativity and include veggies in lunch.
    Tell your child that he will be more stronger if he eats veggies.
    If your child likes pasta you can include lots of vegetables and send it for lunch.
    You can add vegies in noodles also.
    Vegetable roll in chapati or parotta is also a good idea.
    Introduce the "one bite rule". The vegetable that your child simply avoids by saying he wont like must be tried so tell your child to have a full mouthful of food, chew it slowly and then swallow so that she will get used to that particular food.
    Appreciate your child when she has vegetables.

Moderator Note:

HERE.

Last edited by gkarti; 2nd Jul 2014 at 07:46 PM.
    Gayathri ArunPrakash

sumathisrini is offline Super Moderator Silver Ruler's of Penmai
    Real Name
    Sumathi

Quote Originally Posted by GayathriArun View Post
    The best way to make your child eat veggies is give to beatings on the back and ask your child to eat, just joking.

If your child doesnt like to eat veggies and greens include it in the nonveg dish like palak chicken.
    Vegetables can be cooked in different ways to tempt your child. Make chats using vegetables in different colours.
    Use your creativity and include veggies in lunch.
    Tell your child that he will be more stronger if he eats veggies.
    If your child likes pasta you can include lots of vegetables and send it for lunch.
    You can add vegies in noodles also.
    Vegetable roll in chapati or parotta is also a good idea.
    Introduce the "one bite rule". The vegetable that your child simply avoids by saying he wont like must be tried so tell your child to have a full mouthful of food, chew it slowly and then swallow so that she will get used to that particular food.
    Appreciate your child when she has vegetables.

Hi Gayathri!

Your reply for queries are really impressed me & Much impressed by this reply. Thanks & continue your good work dear

Parasakthi and GayathriArun like this.